Emily
Savvy October 2020

Telling my dad i don't want him to officiate

Emily, on May 21, 2019 at 9:48 PM Posted in Planning 0 7
Saved
So my father wants to officiate my wedding. I want him to be able to relax and enjoy it. I love him don't get me wrong but id rather have some one else do it. What other extra role besides MY FATHER can i give him. Help i have dinner south him tomorrow night and that's when I'm breaking the news!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on May 22, 2019 at 9:34 AM
  • Courtney
    Dedicated July 2020
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    I would just be honest!

I thought about my dad officiating it but knew he would be too emotional to make it through the ceremony.
  • Emily
    Savvy October 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My dad has like no emotions that you can read. He only talks about his diet and im scared he would work that in hahaha
  • Kiara
    VIP August 2021
    Kiara ·
    • Flag
    My dad is officiating us he asked and i thought it wrked out 4me cuz i wanted my brother to walk me down the aisle and my dad and brother would give me away.. But just let your dad know how u feel i know its hard but have that talk with him hopefully he understands his job is2walk you down and have fun...
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    Is he walking you down the aisle or doing the father daughter? Other than those two things he should just relax and have fun.
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Tell him you think he should be able to enjoy the night and you think the role of bride's father is a very important one you'd like him to concentrate on. Maybe you could think about having him a give a toast or do the welcoming after the ceremony? Something that's still important but not overwhelming
  • Tonia
    Expert October 2019
    Tonia ·
    • Flag

I asked my dad to officiate and he said no. He was worried he wouldn't be able to get through the ceremony because of the emotions. Will he be walking you down the aisle? If so, that is his job and to enjoy and relax.

• Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I would just be honest with him! It's not unrealistic to want your father to just be dad for a day Smiley smile However, if he is really wanting something to do, maybe give him a task like being the point of contact for vendors on the day of, or something like that. But I would just be up front and honest and tell him "Dad, love you, and I want you to not do anything on this day but show up and enjoy!"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics