Liz
Dedicated September 2019

Suggestions of luau attire on Maui

Liz, on October 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 15
Saved Save

Hello! I know everyone says that only tourists in Hawaii wear hawaiian print or themed clothing but I heard that in luaus a lot of people wear this type of attire. I am leaving to Maui this Thursday ( in 3 days) so don't have time to shop online or Amazon (I dont have amazon prime anymore Smiley sad ) to look for hawaiian attire. Where is a good place in Maui where I can buy something I can wear to a luau.

Hawaiian DressSuggestions of luau attire on Maui 1

I was thinking something similar to this but a bit shorter (I'm only 5'2'') and something with an adjustable chest size since I am usually 32B, size 0. Most of the time size S is still too big on me so I think having the top part similar to this dress would be great. Anyone know of any good shopping places to visit in Maui that sells similar styles?

I am staying in Wailea so I am hoping the Wailea shops may have something like this Smiley smile

15 Comments

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I know Amazon has 1 or 2 day shipping if you have a Prime membership so some things should arrive before you leave. This is what we wore in Maui to the luau on our honeymoon. I got my dress from Nordstroms, and his shirt & pants from Amazon. Maui had TONS of shopping so I wouldn't worry about not being able to find things.Suggestions of luau attire on Maui 2

• Liz
    Dedicated September 2019
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi! Yeah I actually don't have prime so if I ordered something it wouldn't come in time. lol. But I'm glad to know that there are shops around that have dresses. I've been to Oahu before and they sold it all over the place but I also felt like it was a bit more touristy there too. I heard Maui isn't quite like that but I do know that a lot of tourists also go to Maui so I figured I'd see what people would suggest Smiley smile. The Wailea Shops are really close to the hotel I am staying at and I think we have plans to maybe stop by the first day there before we check in. Hopefully I find something good there Smiley smile

• M
    Expert September 2020
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    There are lots of shops in Maui that have dresses like that. I had a hard time finding one because I’m so short, 5’1”. Maybe bring some fabric tape and “hem it”. Have a great trip!
  • Liz
    Dedicated September 2019
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh that's great to know! Yeah I really like the midi dresses or even maxi dresses but because I am 5'2'' I feel like a lot of time midi's end up looking like maxi's on me lol!

I was actually gonna bring fabric tape with me just in case I wore any strapless dresses. Never thought of using it to "hem" dresses Smiley smile.

• Brooke
    Expert November 2019
    Brooke ·
    • Flag

I will be headed to Maui in 2 months for my honeymoon and was wondering the same thing. My fiancé has SO MANY Hawaiian shirts so I'm guessing he will wear one of those. I was thinking just a solid color maxi dress.

• Liz
    Dedicated September 2019
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh that is awesome. My friend is currently in Oahu and she got her boyfriend to wear a matching Hawaiian shirt. I feel like my hubby wouldn't want to wear it and I'm not really the type to force him out of his comfort zone lol! Maybe I'll just lightly suggest we get matching outfits and offer to pay for his and see if he agrees Smiley laugh

• Jennifer
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    I was on Maui in August and stayed in Wailea, there are a bunch of cute shops selling dresses like that. There's an open air market in Kihei (10 min drive) that has stuff just like that too. Of topic; while you're in Kihei I recommend eating at Paia Fish Market, sooooo good. Have a great trip!
  • Liz
    Dedicated September 2019
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh awesome! I will probably explore the first day I am there or whatever down time we have. I read good things about Paia Fish Market. I'll consider it Smiley smile

I feel like a lot of attractions are further away from Wailea. Like I see Lahaina is about an hour away and road to Hana is an hour and a half or more depending on where you want to go.

Is there anything else you would recommend to check out that is near Wailea. We will have a rental car but for a good amount of the days we will be driving a bit further out so it would be nice to find somewhere we could go thats less than an hour out on a day or 2 where we would to relax and stay near the hotel Smiley smile

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    We went to Maui last year for our honeymoon and there are lots of shops you can buy stuff like that. It's very touristy.
  • Jennifer
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Gotcha! We didn't really stay at the Airbnb (in Wailea) that much - we took day trips every day. We did have brunch at the Four Seasons, it was good and the ambiance was pretty nice. We went to Lahaina for an hour or so but I found it to be too touristy for my personal taste. Sorry I can't really give tips on actual things to do in Wailea! But here are some general tips:

You should totally download the app called GyPSy Guide Maui, it works with your car's bluetooth / sound system and acts as a guide around the island. As you drive, it gives you tips on what things there are to do around you, or it can guide you on longer trips like the Road to Hana (ie giving you the run-down of each turn off and whether it's worth stopping or not). It was really nice to have if you want to take little day trips without having your head stuck in a guide book. Pro tip for the Road to Hana: get out and start the drive early (like 7am) to beat the traffic, there are tons of tour buses that do the RTH and the road itself is pretty narrow with limited parking so traffic jams are apparently pretty tortuous as the day gets on.

If you're into outdoorsy things, I highly recommend doing a couple hikes while you're on Maui. We hiked almost every day and the sights were just breathtaking. If you do hikes, download the AllTrails app for use on the trail. We did these (must-sees in bold): Waihe'e Ridge Trail (moderate, 4mi); Lahaina Pali Trail (moderate, 5mi); Pipiwai Trail / Waimoku Falls (this is at the end of the Road to Hana, moderate, 3.4mi); Haleakala Crater/Sliding Sands Trail (hard, 11-14mi). One we didn't do (but was recommended by guide books) was Iao Valley Trail. We did a few other hikes on Kauai too, but it sounds like you're staying on Maui.

Sorry for the long post, I hope that helps!

PS. You must get shave ice! I recommend the macadamia nut ice cream on bottom with toasted coconut on top (and whatever flavors you love in between). Yum Smiley smile

• Liz
    Dedicated September 2019
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for all that info. And no worries it definitely helps. We opted not to do Road to Hana on our own and go with a tour next time instead since they are used to driving those roads. But so far this is what we have planned:

Atlantis Submarines, Maui Ocean Center, Te Au Moana Luau, Maui Tropical Plantation, Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm, Maui Kayak, Oahu (1 day trip), Iao Valley, and sunset tour at Haleakala Smiley smile.

I mapped out how long it would take from the hotel to each of these places and everything in between and for the most part our mornings/afternoons are packed. But we are pretty much done about 4 or 5 every day so I am figuring out what would be good to do after dinner lol. Definitely want to visit Maui again next time to experience Road to Hana and try more restaurants.

So far in terms of food we have reservations for Monkeypod Merriman (walkable distance from our hotel) and Tommy Bahamas (also walkable distance). Other places we plan on eating is Sam Sato's, Down the Hatch, and some other small shops which I forgot their names lol.

• Jennifer
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Awesome! There are a ton of water-related activities to do on Maui! It's considered the best island for water rec because of its position in the archipelago and the fact that all beaches are public land! When we were leaving Haleakala after our hike, people were arriving for the sunset and it looked like it was going to be incredible!! Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun things planned, and yeah dinner around 5/6 sounds about right given the time difference Smiley smile I think we went to sleep at like 9pm every night haha

We got takeout from Monkeypod one time since it was close to our Airbnb and the scene looked really fun!!

• Liz
    Dedicated September 2019
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh good to know! I actually cant swim so we aren't doing too many water activities other than submarine ride and kayak lol! I'll just make sure I'll have a life vest on me when I go kayaking.

I heard sunset is just as nice but I figured I wanted to get it done earlier in the day since the next day we will actually be flying out to go back home Smiley sad .

I heard most people like to do the sunrise tour right when they get to Hawaii because of the time difference. 3am there is 6am here in California. But we already had reservations for other activities so it was hard moving everything. But I'm sure it'll all work out.

I've heard good things about Monkeypod and Yelp has lots of reviews so I am excited for that one. I havent heard if Tommy Bahamas is good but we found it interesting since it is also a clothing store lol.

• Jennifer
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Haha, same here, I'm definitely a land girl! I actually totally blanked and forgot that, gee, there are a lot of things to do on the water too! Smiley xd

Have fun and be safe!

• Liz
    Dedicated September 2019
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Haha its cool! I love the beaches in Hawaii (mainly cuz you can see the bottom floor/how far in you are). Here in California our waters are so gross... There is a reason why there is a blackish purple drink called L.A Waters... lol! I like the idea of being on the beach in Hawaii but not too far into the waters. Also I looked up some beaches where there are lifeguards on duty too just in case. Never can be too safe Smiley laugh

Comment on this discussion