Lindsey
Beginner October 2021

Stuck on a photographer

Lindsey, on April 19, 2020 at 7:45 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Saved
My fiancé and I are stuck on 2 photographers. I personally love Ambers work, but if we go with her she’ll be $600 plus out of budget. That’s not to say I don’t love Jeffrey’s because I do, I’m just stuck. Both our parents say Jeffery.
Jeffrey offers a lot more with his packages but only 400-600 photos. While Amber captures 600-1000 photos. These are after being edited and sorting out the doubles.
Our wedding is on a holiday weekend and she cost more for a second shooter while Jeffrey is a husband and wife shooter. Please help. Their links are below. I just don’t want To make the wrong choice for wedding photos. Jeffery also have no reviews on wedding wire which makes me very nervous but I get along with both of their personalities.
Www.jeffreyhousephotography.com
Www.amberbauhoffphotography.com

11 Comments

Latest activity by Tori, on April 20, 2020 at 3:14 PM
  • Chasity
    Dedicated August 2020
    Chasity ·
    • Flag
    Both are great options. I personally am more budget strict so $600 would make choosing Jefferey an easy decision for me. It sounds like you might get more for your buck! Good luck
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    Both have very pretty photos, but I like Jeffery's more. I would definitely recommend having a second shooter. You mentioned what you like about each one, but what about your fiance? Does he prefer one over the other?
  • Brittany
    Dedicated March 2021
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    In my opinion the photographer is the most important vendor you’ll have on your wedding day. This is someone that you’re trusting to take forever photos of you on one of your most important days. I recommend you pick the vendor you like the most and has the same type of style you like photography wise. Me and my FH went through the same thing but ultimately chose the more expensive photographer because we liked her style better and these are photos our family will see and have forever. So go with who you think will do a better a job and the photographer you’re the most comfortable with. Good luck! 😊
  • Lindsey
    Beginner October 2021
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    He says “photos all look the same to me” so it’s up to me
  • L
    Dedicated April 2022
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    So, I have a degree in photography and see very different things going on with these two photographers. First of all, more does not usually equal better. When it comes down to it you probably aren’t going to miss those extra 400 photos - I would rather have my photographer pick out quality photos of each moment they captured than try to reach some astounding amount of photos they promised.

Now, let’s talk about the styles. I’m very picky when it comes to photographers and something I hate to see is edits with vignettes (the black overlay around the edges). To me this signals that the photographer doesn’t know how to properly edit and instead added a vignette to cover up mistakes they may have made while shooting. There are A LOT of vignettes in Jeffrey’s work while none in Amber’s work. Amber has a much more clear editing style, she knows how to get every photo to look similar and well done even when there was different lighting. In Jeff’s photos when there’s different light (light changes throughout they day) he can’t seem to figure out how to edit it to look the same as his other photos, so when the lighting is good, his photos are good, but when the lighting is bad, you can tell he can’t edit them back to a good place.
    Personally I would hire Amber - Maybe you can see if she can do less time? I’m hiring my photographer for 6 hours because after a while in the reception you’ll just be getting the same photos anyways, and I’m not doing a sparkler exit or anything like that. If you like Jeffreys photos that fine too, most people don’t see the kinds of things I see in photos!! But that’s just my two cents on the matter.
  • Lindsey
    Beginner October 2021
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I definitely need a photographers eye looking at these and appreciate your insight! I will definitely take it! I’m looking for bright images for sure!
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    Just because he doesn't have reviews on Wedding Wire, doesn't mean he doesn't have reviews. Look for them on google, facebook, etc.

I have to agree with your fiance that many of these photos look alike. There is no particular pop or wow factor for me in either of their portfolios. They are good, but I'm just not wowed.
    If it came down to it, and his reviews are good elsewhere, and I clicked with both, I'd probably go with Jeffrey and his wife. 2 shooters, under budget, still quality work.
  • Kate
    Expert October 2020
    Kate ·
    • Flag

Personally, I like Amber's photos better. I also agree with PP when she said more does not usually also mean better!

These are photos you are going to have forever, the photographer is so important. If you have to scrape up some extra cash for the more expensive photographer, it would probably be worth it in the end.

• C
    Dedicated October 2021
    C ·
    • Flag
    I would go with Ambers! For photography I think you really get what you pay for. I had a similar issue and went with the more expensive photographer that I liked more - at the end of the day photography is what you’ll have forever so I think it’s worth the investment
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I personally like Amber's photos better. I think it's worth the extra money to really love your photos.

• Tori
    Dedicated November 2020
    Tori ·
    • Flag
    One thing I noticed is Jeffrey doesn’t have a lot of photos of the bride and groom displayed on his website while Amber does. Being that my dad was a photographer, he would always say that people are MUCH harder to pose and get the shot you want. While misc object pictures are really cute, I would have to look at Jeffreys bride and groom shoots to choose him. Those are the pictures that are most important to me. As a photographer you only have one shot to get the first kiss, the reactions, etc. so I would want to see more of Jeffreys people pictures. I do like the style of Amber much better. Her pictures look more cohesive. To me, pictures are the absolute most important thing, so I would choose Amber.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics