C
Dedicated August 2019

Stockings or no stockings?

Christina, on June 10, 2018 at 1:22 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 24
Saved Save
So my mom is insisting that I wear stockings under my wedding dress. Now, my wedding is scheduled to be in August. I don't plan on wearing stockings. It's going to be way too hot for that.

Is anyone planning on wearing stockings under their dress?

24 Comments

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag

I don't think I've worn stockings since the 90s! Smiley winking

No way. It's too hot under a wedding dress and nobody would see your legs anyway.

• C
    Dedicated August 2019
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    My mom thinks that it won't look right when my FH takes off the garter. It's going to be too hot to wear stockings. I don't think I'm going to put stockings on my daughter either. Maybe lace socks for her.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Can you slip on some thigh-highs when you get to the reception? I doubt you'll be framing any photos of the garter toss so I don't think it's necessary. Why be uncomfortable the entire night for an activity that is only a few minutes? But do what feels right to you. (I've never been a fan of the garter toss so I don't know if stockings are nice for it.)

• M
    Devoted August 2018
    Monique ·
    • Flag
    I'm also an August bride. I won't be wearing stockings. I would be too uncomfortable and likely not. I have a petticoat and shapewear and a long line bra. That's already too many clothes so I'm skipping hosiery.
  • futurmrslowe
    Super December 2018
    futurmrslowe ·
    • Flag
    If you aren’t the Duchess of Cambridge, you don’t need stockings - especially in August !

This is one definitely goes in the category of “ok Mom” and then ignore her.
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    I haven't seen or worn stockings since the 90s/early 2000s. It used to be the norm that the bride wore stockings and gloves but now they don't. Personally I would think it looked weird if a bride did wear stockings especially for the garter toss. But also, how much leg would any of your guests actually see?
  • C
    Dedicated August 2019
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    I don't plan on wearing the stockings. I already told her that was not happening.
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

If your FH has any class at all, your guests will hardly see your legs when he removes the garter. Crawling up under the bride's dress is so unnecessary.

• A
    Devoted May 2020
    Ali ·
    • Flag
    Stockings are your choice. You don't have to wear them, besides, if the dress is floor length, who is going to see it? Mine is tea length, but I'm not wearing stockings! I mean, that might change, but I doubt it since they're a huge pain to deal with. Also, nobody will care whether you have Stockings on or not. Well, nobody besides your mom
  • Jamie
    Dedicated June 2018
    Jamie ·
    • Flag
    Hell to the no.
  • Natalie
    Devoted September 2018
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    This is too funny, my sister (also MOH) asked me just a couple days ago if I was wearing them and if she needed to! She thought I was going to try and force her into wearing stockings. As others mentioned, I haven't worn stockings since probably late 90s maybe very early 2000s, and that would have only been because I was required by work when wearing skirts.

Aside from not seeing the need for them, going to the bathroom in your dress is likely going to be challenging enough, especially if you're wearing shapewear that includes full underwear/shorts.
  • C
    Dedicated August 2019
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol 😂 That was my reaction when my mom said that I had to wear it.
  • MrsPreach2018
    Master August 2018
    MrsPreach2018 ·
    • Flag
    I'm getting married in August too, way to hot for stockings. Definitely not wearing any at all!
  • M
    Mim ·
    • Flag
    If mom won't give up on it, just forget them the day of the wedding Smiley winking . FWIW I would have thought my daughter had lost her mind if she had worn stockings. Other than tights in the winter, I don't think she's ever worn any.
  • Deirdre
    Dedicated October 2018
    Deirdre ·
    • Flag
    Why in the world would she want you to wear stockings? I wear stockings to work...but with my flight attendant uniform. Skip the stockings, let those beautiful legs show! You’ll be way too hot anyways
  • G
    Savvy June 2020
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    There’s no way I would wear stockings under my dress! I want to comfortable and happy on my wedding day!
  • ForeverMrsP
    Devoted July 2018
    ForeverMrsP ·
    • Flag
    Nope. #sorrynotsorry
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    I got married in May in Florida, and I would have been miserable if I had worn stockings. I can't imagine wearing them in August. Just don't.
  • Xandria
    VIP December 2018
    Xandria ·
    • Flag

I'm not wearing stockings for my *December* wedding, Jesus don't wear them for your August wedding!

If mom insists I'm with PP, "forget" them day of.

• Amelia
    Expert June 2019
    Amelia ·
    • Flag

You're going to be hot enough in the dress! I would say no stockings, I don't think the necessary especially, if like me, you're wearing spanx

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics