We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

V
Dedicated August 2020

Socializing with guests during reception

Valerie, on February 11, 2020 at 4:01 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 11
Saved Save
Perhaps this is a strange question but I tend to overthink and plan ahead due to my anxiety. I was thinking it would be nice if after dinner/ speeches/ formalities (cake, first dance), my groom and I work the room and check up on each table, converse, say hello again, check in with our guests. Is this a good time to catch up with people since we will not have seen many in years? I just am worried about not dividing my time efficiently between tables or getting into too many deep conversations. Is it best to just keep it light? I don’t want to seem impersonal or fake at the same time. Plus I’ve been known to drop what I’m doing and run to the dance floor when good songs come on (I’m that girl that yells omg I love this song and runs out to start dancing) so I don’t want to keep getting distracted or be rude. Any suggestions?

11 Comments

• Allie
    Dedicated May 2020
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    I was actually talking to my fiancé about the same thing the other day! Part of me wants to make rounds like you said, but another part of me wants to not worry about doing that and just enjoy the wedding while people come up to us. We will also have close to 200 people and I’m worried just like you about not forgetting anyone. I’m curious to see what others advise!
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    My husband and I did a receiving line and also walked around to each table as people were finishing their meals. We were served first. The music that was played during dinner was basically just background noise so it wasn't really anything we would have wanted to dance to.
  • Sarah
    Devoted October 2020
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    This is a really good idea, and I've seen a lot of brides who are doing it. I think it's really thoughtful to talk to each table, after all we're here to see you! How sad would it be if they didn't get to talk to you?
    You can keep a loose time limit for each table, and get your day of coordinator or maid of honor to make sure you keep moving on, saying things like "I'm so sorry, I need to steal the bride real quick!"
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

While you definitely should make time to visit with each table, it's probably not the best time to try to catch up with long lost friends or relatives. A simple "hi, thanks for coming, we're so glad you could make it" is sufficient. Like PP mentioned, have your DOC or photographer keep an eye out so they know to come grab you if someone takes up too much of your time. People will understand that you have other guests to say hello to.

• A
    Super August 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

This is the reason we are doing first a first look. We are going to do our rounds during cocktail hour, so there is no pressure to see everyone (200 guest) during dinner. If we finish early and have time to mingle some more after dinner, we might, but no pressure.

• Tara
    Savvy June 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    I’m doing the same thing as Alex. My FH and I are doing a first look before the ceremony so we can visit with everyone during cocktail hour. If we take as little as 5 minutes to go to each table and we’re estimating 15 tables... that’s over an hour not on the dance floor.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    We basically made it back to every table a second time to talk more, after our initial “thank you for coming” rounds were done. It’s definitely possible. However there really isn’t time to get past small talk honestly. There’s just too many people to speak with and you really won’t get more than a minute with each one even if you try to divide your time evenly. You don’t want to start a deep conversation and get stuck at one table for 20 minutes... that’s not fair for all the other people you invited. You can definitely spend more time with people than just “thank you for coming” but, for us the conversation got to “wait so where are you working now? Oh that’s cool! Do you like it? And where are you living?” Etc. don’t imagine any deep talks lol.
  • Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

We did our wedding out of order for this reason exactly. We did a two hours cocktail/whiskey tasting/ cigar time with an acoustic singer, we were there to greet everyone and have a chance to catch up a little. Then we did our ceremony and right into the reception. I didn't move from the dance floor the entire time Smiley smile.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Keep in mind that some people will try to talk your ear off and keep you. Make your rounds and give your formalities. Your hello thanks for coming, yada yada. But try to slip away when you feel someone is trying to keep you because that will happen. They want to talk to you and catch up which is nice but there's a lot of people you must divide your time to and so you can't stay put with just one person.
  • Onya
    Devoted April 2021
    Onya ·
    • Flag

Knowing me I will only be dancing at the reception. It's a party and the only time I'm trying to talk is when everyone is giving their speeches n such then go around and thank everyone. We're having less than 50 people so it'll be a bit more intimate so I'll have time.

• Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Guests will understand if you spend time dancing.

Maybe release your guests from their seats at the ceremony to make sure you greet everyone and again at the cocktail hour.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles