Charlee
Just Said Yes October 2020

Small Orthodox Ceremony - Larger Reception

Charlee, on November 18, 2019 at 4:16 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 3
Saved Save

Hello!

We are having a small Orthodox ceremony (parents, grandparents, siblings) in my fiance's home church. I'm new to Orthodoxy since meeting him, so the religious ceremony isn't as big a deal to me, its mostly for his family. Its a fairly short ceremony, including a lot of sung scriptures, wearing crowns, and walking in circles around the altar. The don't however exchange vows...

My question is: Would it be weird to say our vows at the reception? or maybe have a small ceremony at the reception in addition to the religious ceremony?

Or should we just do our vows in private, and keep the reception as just a reception?

3 Comments

• Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

I would keep the reception just as a reception Smiley smile

• J
    Super April 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I would keep the reception as the reception! If you say vows at the reception, what is the point of doing a ceremony at all, you know? Since the ceremony is important to your fiance, keep it the way it is! Smiley smile

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag

Hey Carlee!! At the end of the day, you can do whatever feels right for your wedding. Have you talked about your vows with your FH? How does he feel?

If your vows are really important to you and you wanted to share them with your guests, you could say them as part of the speeches, i.e. you both start the speeches by saying your vows to each other and then lead onto the other speeches. I would try to keep them short though.

If your vows are something that you would prefer to keep private, you could definitely take some time between your ceremony and reception to say them privately.

It’s all about what feels right for your wedding day.

Comment on this discussion