Emily
Dedicated June 2020

Slow songs during reception?

Emily, on August 2, 2019 at 12:48 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 12
Saved Save
Besides the first dance, should there be slow songs played during reception or should it just be all upbeat dance music?

12 Comments

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I think one or two short ones are fine so guests have a breather and can get a drink if they don't feel like dancing a slow song or don't have anyone to dance it with. However, this can clear the dance floor depending on the crowd and having a good DJ be able to read the crowd and fade out the music to a more upbeat song if needed is very helpful.

• Emily
    Devoted October 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    Yes! Weddings are a romantic event! Your guests might get the feels and want to slow dance with their date. It definitely gives people a breather, too.
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Some slow songs are nice to break up the upbeat dancing, give people a chance to catch their breath / rest, and couples a chance to dance together lovingly.

• Tonia
    Expert October 2019
    Tonia ·
    • Flag

You definitely need some slow songs. It also allows you some special moments with your FH.

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag
    I think there maybe have been 2 slow songs during the dancing portion of my wedding.
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Slow songs during the dinner portion are fine
  • Mary
    Expert July 2019
    Mary ·
    • Flag
    We didn't have any slow songs besides our first dance. This gave my MIL and FIL an excuse to not dance at all! Definitely know your crowd. In hindsight, I would request at least a couple for our older relatives in attendance.
  • A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena ·
    • Flag

Yes you need slow songs. Plus other guests like to dance to slow songs as well. Depending on the length of your event more than 2 is perfectly fine. We aren't just having 2.

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

I would put a slow song, 4-6 upbeat, slow, 4-6 upbeat. Lots of people (generally a little older) would prefer to slow dance so I think it's nice to sprinkle them in at least for the first half of the dance portion!

• Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

Yes, having a good combination of the two never hurts!

• E
    Dedicated May 2019
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    Our DJ recommended 1-2 slow songs per hour. I think that worked out well for our reception.
  • karen
    Master October 2017
    karen ·
    • Flag

I think the older people prefer slow songs, so have them earlier in the night

Comment on this discussion