We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Samantha
VIP October 2020

Silver Linings: Shelter in Place Date Night

Samantha, on April 8, 2020 at 11:19 AM Posted in Family and Relationships 1 18
Saved Save

If you've been keeping up with a date night with your FS what are some of your ideas? I just bought a subscription to a boxed escape room that we're doing next weekend! We're also planning to go hiking at a local state park (which is still open) and are planning to stream a comedy special Saturday night and order in from one of our favorite restaurants.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on April 8, 2020 at 3:42 PM
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2021
    Clarissa ·
    • Flag
    Movie night. Go to the dollar store get the little popcorn containers and whatever snacks you usually eat at the movie make movie food like nachos or chicken tenders and fries. Also set up your dining room table like a romantic dinner with candles and flowers get dressed up and order some food. Turn on some music after and go dancing
  • Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Love these ideas! So romantic!
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2021
    Clarissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you where did you get the boxed escape room from. I would love to order one.
  • Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s called Escape the Crate, we found them on Cratejoy and they deliver once every two months. We haven’t tried it yet, but hopefully it’s fun! We LOVE escape rooms and do that as a couple every so often.
  • Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag

Oooh! What's the escape box subscription? FH would love that!

I bought an online dancing instruction series (so we can learn to dance better for our wedding), but we have't broken that our yet - probably this weekend. I also ordered a Mysterious Package Company package as an early birthday present for him (it's a package of puzzles and ciphers to solve related to a narrated story line, with cool/creepy "artifacts" to match the story). We've done several of these to date and both love solving the puzzles.

We've done living room camping, special dinners (fancy grilled cheese sandwiches yesterday), movie nights, ordered take out dinners for me to have a break from cooking, music duels (we take turns picking a category of music, then we take turns picking out songs via Amazon music - no googling allowed - on our Alexa until we run out of ideas, then we pick a new category).

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Your Mystery Package Company thing sounds amazing!! We ordered from a company on Cratejoy called Escape the Craye. It had good reviews and I’m dying to break it in! It’s basically an escape room you can do from home!
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

Wow the boxed escape room sounds really awesome actually! so we live in a complex with tennis courts and a pool. for obvious reasons, the pool is closed BUT the tennis courts are open still since each court is privately fenced off and all. anyway, we have never played together before so during this quarantine since there isn't much else to actually go and do, we decided to! that's been fun. also a way to get some exercise in.

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We never really considered tennis either, but there's a court in a park right by our apartment so we're planning to play soon!

• Nicole
    VIP September 2020
    Nicole Online ·
    • Flag

The bakery that we are using for the wedding hosts Cake & Cocktail nights where you go and learn how to decorate a cake (and then get to take it home to enjoy!). Since we're quarantining, they're now offering Cake & Quarantine kits. Instead of going to an event, you pick up the kit with all of the necessary components from the bakery and then tune into their live feed (they've done both Instagram and Zoom) to learn how to decorate. We did the cookie kit they offered the first week of quarantine and are going to be doing the cake kit this weekend. They also have pizza kits with fresh dough that we'll be purchasing this weekend to do a pizza/cake/movie night.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

Since we aren't able to visit my family for Easter this year, I am going to attempt to make an Easter dinner for us this year. The only thing different is we are going to have ham steaks instead an actual ham. I just didn't feel comfortable digging around for a small ham in the grocery store since that would involve touching them. I am super excited to do this!

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What a good idea! Plus there's the added benefit of supporting the bakery!

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's smart! I'm not ambitious enough to cook us a proper Easter dinner, but I tip my hat to you! But we did color Easter eggs and we're buying each other chocolates and a small surprise.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I was starting to feel down about not spending the holiday with my family. So I decided that this was the best and most positive way to handle it. If I could of found an employee to help me at the grocery store I probably would have gotten a full ham but that didn't happen lol. That would have been interesting to make a full one because I have never cooked one before lol!!

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Honestly, the ham is what I’d be worried about! I can make sides all day! But a ham is a whole different beast!
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's kind of why I wanted to try it lol! I know the sides will be fine. But I wanted the challenge of the ham lol.

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That totally makes sense!

• Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

MPC is really next level for this sort of thing! Their "artifacts" are incredibly cool! We display pieces of the packages we've done in the past around our home because they're just interesting to look at, and a nice reminder of how much fun we had solving the mysteries!

I just did a 3 month "Conundrum" box with Cratejoy. Thank you! Can't wait to see how it compares to MPC. The only downside with MPC is that they can be pretty costly, but so far their prices have always been on par with their level of artistry in their packages.

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It sounds amazing!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics