Ellie
Devoted January 2020

Shuttle Bus Or No Shuttle Bus?

Ellie, on September 5, 2019 at 10:38 AM Posted in Planning 0 10
Saved

My wedding will primarily be a destination wedding for many guests since my FH and I are from two different states (IL / NY) and now live in the DMV area. Since we're having our wedding in DC and having the ceremony at a church and the reception at a hotel, we're trying to figure out if it's better to get access for our guests at a parking lot / valet or better to have a shuttle service, given that there's 1 hr - 20 min gap between the ceremony/reception,( the reception venue is roughly 10 minutes away) what's the best option?

We were thinking of seeing if we could do something like a shuttle tour to fill the gap? Or is it better to leave the guests to just do their own thing for that gap and have them drive to the ceremony?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Ellie, on September 5, 2019 at 1:43 PM
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

So you aren't doing a cocktail hour during the 1 hour 10 minute gap?

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I wanted to start the cocktail hour a bit later only because I think things might end a bit early otherwise.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I guess it depends on your crowd, but if I was a guest I'd prefer the cocktail hour start 20 or so minutes after the ceremony so I didn't have to figure out something to do for 1 hour 10 minutes in between. We've only been to one wedding with a gap and more than half the guests skipped the ceremony.

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ugh yeah I was afraid of that as well. It's really the timing of the church that makes things difficult but not much we can do about that. Everyone on my end of the family wants to end at 11 but the only way that's possible is if there's a gap so not sure what to do. Meanwhile my FH family thinks there's nothing wrong with a gap at all. Though I definitely see how it would be uncomfortable if I myself didn't drive in.

• Melissa
    VIP September 2019
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    The church gap is fairly normal and not an excessive amount of time where you would have time to do a tour. I would let people figure their own way back and forth as it is only 10 minutes. That will give plenty of time for the people that dawdle to get out of the church and to the hotel. And if they are staying at the hotel they can relax for a little bit and things like that. I do agree that maybe moving cocktail hour up about 15 minutes would not be a bad thing.
  • Christie
    Dedicated October 2019
    Christie ·
    • Flag
    Does the DC hop on hop off bus go by either place? That could be fun for guests...
  • Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag

Sounds like you're in a bit of a hard spot regardless. I think as a guest, I'd rather have the option of a cocktail hour starting immediately after the ceremony. I think with an hour to kill, unless there was something organized to do, I'd probably end up trying to find someplace to grab a drink just to kill time. Maybe saying something like "cocktail hour at 5:00, reception at 6:00"?

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You're right it might be a bit tight to do a full tour or something like that. It's tough because I feel like I don't like gaps but then it's not that big of a gap so that there's much to do. Basically, I'm trying to figure out a way to have the event not end too early but then not make it too uncomfortable for guests in between. I could see if I could add more time at the end of the event but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. We have 1 hr cocktail hour and 4 hours of dinner and dancing. I'm not sure if, I add another hour if people will just leave or be tired anyway.

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Not sure but I'm definitely gonna take a look into it!

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, I think that might be more pleasant for the guests too. I guess I'm leaning towards starting the cocktail hour sooner then.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics