VegasWed!
Super October 2017

Should I run from this tailor? 36DD, are cups feasible?

VegasWed!, on April 17, 2017 at 1:16 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved Save

I'm a 36DD and my dress has a low back, so the standard strapless bra won't work. I emailed the tailor I was planning on using and inquired about adding cups or other support to the dress. This was her response:

"I'm not sure about adding support or bra cups. I would recommend a very low back bustier (corset) ."

ummmm. This seems like a big red flag to me. Am I wrong? Anyone else out there with experience adding cups with such a large bust?

19 Comments

• Svetlana
    VIP October 2018
    Svetlana ·
    • Flag

I am going with straps because they can be adjusted to give you a little extra lift and support which i am sure you are wanting too.

• Mrswelch
    Master December 2017
    Mrswelch ·
    • Flag

I'm about a 36DD/38D depending on who makes it. I would maybe get a second opinion if you feel so uncertain about it. My dress has a low, illusion back, so I knew a bra or corset would be out. My dress had straps though, and some boning, and my boutique and alterations lady has had some good ideas and I feel comfortable. The question is do you feel comfortable? If not, get a second opinion.

• Blair Waldorf
    Master October 2017
    Blair Waldorf ·
    • Flag

I'd suggest a backless stick on bra, like the u plunge or freedom bustier, cups aren't really that great for support unless your cheat is smaller or it works with the structure of your dress. It's more for coverage.

• FutureMRSwalker
    Dedicated June 2017
    FutureMRSwalker ·
    • Flag

They can only go up so high in cups, if you add too big it will make the dress lay wrong. Why do you feel this is a red flag? Just curious. I'm a 36g and I added boning to my dress to hold my girls cuz cups just won't work for me.

• VegasWed!
    Super October 2017
    VegasWed! ·
    • Flag

I thought adding cups was pretty standard, which is why it raised some red flags for me. I've never added cups to a dress before. I need to go strapless and low back for my dress.

• Blair Waldorf
    Master October 2017
    Blair Waldorf ·
    • Flag

It's literally just a piece of foam wrapped in bra like fabric. When boobs are a certain size a piece of foam will not support that much weight. See my previous comment for backless strapless options.

• duchess
    Super May 2017
    duchess ·
    • Flag

I am a 36DD and am adding cups to my dress (it also has a lower back and flimsy straps...so a corset or bra were out of the question

• Anne
    Master April 2017
    Anne ·
    • Flag

Yeah I'm a 34DD and cups were a no go for me as well. Seamstress saw my backless dress with little structure and said I would have to wear a stick on bra. I trust her completely as she has been doing our families tailoring since I was little.

• OGJessieJV
    Master July 1867
    OGJessieJV ·
    • Flag

It's not a red flag per se. However, did you ask about building a bra as opposed to adding cups? The cups usually only go up to a D, also enquire if they are used to working with corsets, this will assist you in whether they can build you a proper bra into your dress. I never recommend cups unless there is also boning and a corset.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I'm a 36/38 DD and my dressmaker will be building a bra into the dress so I don't have to worry about adding one, but my dress is not strapless. I think it depends on your seamstress' comfort level in doing it or not.

• Rebecca
    Devoted May 2017
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I had the same thing happen for me. I'm a 38DD and they said it wouldn't give me any support. We tried anyway and she was right it didn't give me and support. I am trying to figure out what to do. I tried to do the backless strapless and it like pops off. My mom said we can try to tape the backless strapless to me so I get the support. It's very hard.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie Online ·
    • Flag

I have a larger cup size, and my alterations place told me they don't make cups that big! I tried to call their bluff by ordering through amazon, but those cups were tiny!!

Cups are great if all you need is a little shaping, but if you're looking for support you'll need to go with something sturdier!

• VegasWed!
    Super October 2017
    VegasWed! ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone! I think looking into a custom bra might be the way to go. I've ordered those stick on bras before and I'm not too confident they'll work. Cups ran small and I'm concerned about sweating the adhesive off. I'm glad it doesn't seem like a red flag to anyone else, I'm still going to meet with her because she had amazing yelp reviews and focuses on bridal.

• MrsSki
    Master April 2017
    MrsSki ·
    • Flag

I'd be concerned about the skills of your seamstress. I'm a 34DD and I had underwire cups sewn in that held just fine. I'm allergic to most adhesives and my dress was backless, so it was really my only choice. It took my seamstress a bit to get them to lay correctly against my body so they held correctly, but there is definitely a way to make cups work.

• Future381sWife
    VIP September 2017
    Future381sWife ·
    • Flag

Following this!! I'm a 36DDD and haven't thought about it. I'm assuming I'll need a bra!

• A&W
    Master May 2017
    A&W ·
    • Flag

I'm a 32F, and I had cups sewn into my dress. However, I only did it to give the shape a little oomph. There's no way it would offer any support, but I happily go braless, so support wasn't a concern for me.

• Bemyguest
    Master April 2017
    Bemyguest ·
    • Flag

Just wanted to throw out that the sticky bras come off when you sweat! I would not recommend them!

• Monique
    Savvy August 2017
    Monique ·
    • Flag

I'm a 42DDD and invested in a wacoal strapless bra. I'm going have my cups seemed a little so they lay better and my dress has a corseted back so I'm not really worried about stuff falling down.

• Jen D.
    VIP May 2017
    Jen D. ·
    • Flag

38D here. My seamstress had no issue adding cups, but they're really more for shaping than support. My dress is a sweetheart and corset back so as long as we tie the corset correctly I've been fine!

Comment on this discussion