We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kaleigh
Dedicated September 2020

Should i be worried??

Kaleigh, on March 11, 2020 at 7:45 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 15
Saved Save
We are traveling to Aruba from NH with a layover in Philly. Our honeymoon isn’t until April 25 th, does anyone think our travel plans will be effected? I’m not really seeing anything bad about the Caribean but I did see that American Airlines is cutting 7-10% of domestic flights 😩

15 Comments

• Eshell
    Devoted January 2021
    Eshell ·
    • Flag
    I would contact your resort you staying and hear what they are saying to help you better formulate a decision........did you all insure your honeymoon ?????
  • Margaret
    Expert October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

Currently all airlines are cutting up to 10% of traveling. I'd listen to government warnings about certain travel and check to see what your resort's cancellation policy is, if that's an option for you. Note that travel insurance does not protect against epidemics. The airlines, resorts, cruiselines do not want to be the ones responsible to adding to the epidemic and surely don't want to be the cause in the event you get sick.

John Hopkins University has a great page on up to the minute information regarding Coronavirus.

• Kaleigh
    Dedicated September 2020
    Kaleigh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We will still be going as long as we can get on a flight! Just praying we are able to do so!!
  • A
    Expert May 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

We honestly don't have enough information to know what is going to happen in a week, let along a month. I wouldn't stress about it as of now.

• Margaret
    Expert October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

When airlines are talking a reduction in flights, they mean across the board worldwide. 10% is pretty minor in the grand picture. I'm sure you will be fine.

• Kaleigh
    Dedicated September 2020
    Kaleigh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Margaret! That’s kind of what I was thinking but really needed to hear it from someone else!
  • Erika
    Just Said Yes August 2019
    Erika ·
    • Flag

We took a late honeymoon and just got back! We did notice travel bans from other countries. China in particular. We were a little nervous, but we traveled to an area where there were no reports of an outbreak (yet) and just did everything we could do to stay healthy. Just keep an eye on everything and be willing to make adjustments if needed.

• Neeva
    Super September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag

Keep your plans but come up with a Plan B just in case. Something local you could do.

• Adrielle
    Just Said Yes November 2020
    Adrielle ·
    • Flag

I live in the Dominican Republic and we had a case of some Italian visitors staying on the east coast beaches. They were quarantined in our country before Italy went on lock down. They were tested and let go. No Coronavirus yet, but Universities have cancelled classes starting March 15th and the Ministry of Education is looking into public and private High Schools and Elementary schools. My fiancee works in advertising and his office has all their employees working from home as a precaution. I am a school teacher and 1/2 of my students parents are opting for keeping them at home (we are using an Zoom - online teaching software). There is no state of emergency but everyone is taking extra measures and protocols. Hotels that turn into hubs for different nationalities would be a place I'd try to avoid though.

• Lauren
    Rockstar February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

I think you should be fine, but I would have a Plan B just in case since you're still over a month out! We just got back from our honeymoon to Turks & Caicos 2 days ago and flew American Airlines. Everything went super smoothly for us since TCI hadn't had any reports of Coronavirus yet. Despite having to fill out additional paperwork for customs due to the Coronavirus, going through customs went smoothly too!

• Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I agree with a Plan B.

Things could get pretty gnarly for a bit, but if you follow the WHO guidelines for staying healthy, *you* should be ok. That said, absolutely talk to your resort, and keep an eye on travel alerts.

• Kaleigh
    Dedicated September 2020
    Kaleigh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is good news! We are flying AA as well. The only thing I am worried about is our flights getting canceled and not being able to get to Aruba. The virus it self doesn’t scare me even a little.
  • kymarmck
    Super March 2020
    kymarmck ·
    • Flag

As long as you're not traveling to a hot spot, you should be good!

We are postponing our honeymoon only because both of our employers would require a 14 day self quarantine since we were going to go to Iceland, which is on the Level 3 travel restriction advisory. Since we don't have any PTO because of the wedding, we just can't justify losing out on two paychecks.

I would definitely talk with your agent or the places you'll be staying! Our travel insurance does not cover epidemics, however, FH is getting a letter from his employer stating that he cannot travel due to the virus and how it affects his employment. Our travel agent said by doing this we have a fighting chance at submitting a successful travel insurance claim.

• Kaleigh
    Dedicated September 2020
    Kaleigh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am really trying not to freak out until I have a real reason, but it’s so hard! We aren’t traveling to a hotspot which is good news, and our wedding is local as well. Of course my fiancé didn’t get insurance but I guess it doesn’t matter because it wouldn’t have covered pandemics. I can’t believe we are all dealing with this!
  • kymarmck
    Super March 2020
    kymarmck ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm definitely glad we decided to keep our wedding local! Our county we live in has not had any cases yet, so I'm hoping it stays that way. I don't think anything in our county will start to shut down until we get a case near us. Fingers crossed!

I'm honestly counting our blessings that so far its our honeymoon only that's being impacted. We can do a honeymoon anytime, and while we could do our wedding anytime, our date has sentimental meaning so I'd be absolutely heartbroken!

Crossing my fingers for all of us to have amazing weddings!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles