Samantha
Savvy October 2020

Short Dress + Garter Toss

Samantha, on September 13, 2019 at 4:17 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 9
Saved
Advise Appreciated!!! FH and I are planning to have a casual farm wedding. With that said, I will be wearing a short dress with cowboy boots. At the beginning stages of planning I was hoping to do the garter toss and bouquet toss during the reception. But now i'm thinking that since I'll be wearing a short dress that we probably shouldn't. Thoughts?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Jeanie, on September 13, 2019 at 9:27 PM
  • Laura
    VIP November 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    Like, shortshort or tea length? It makes a difference in my opinion.
  • Chelsea
    Devoted October 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    Personally, I'm not doing a garter toss even with a long dress. I've always felt like it was a bit uncomfortable with family and friends seeing a semi sensual situation, and possible unwanted exposure, but that's just me. Although tossing something else might still be fun without the awkwardness
  • Samantha
    Savvy October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

At the knee short.

• Laura
    VIP November 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Can you safety pin one to the bottom of your dress for FH to unpin and toss? Knee length might be a little short for the traditional route to be appropriate.
  • Samantha
    Savvy October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Im sure it could be. Thanks Smiley smile

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    If it’s at the knee I think it might be a bit short for the garter toss. Since you don’t want to risk giving your friends and family a show I’d take Laura’s suggestion and let FH unhook one. Or you could slip one below the knee or around your ankle just beforehand so he still has something to toss.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I think everyone should skip the garter toss, but the knee length dress definitely makes it even more inappropriate.
  • MaryEllen
    Expert October 2016
    MaryEllen ·
    • Flag
    Detest the garter toss personally.
  • Jeanie
    Super February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    • Flag
    After thinking about this, I think a garter toss would be more appropriate with a shorter dress. With a long dress, the guy has to stick his head all the way under to find the garter. With a shorter dress, he can just kneel in front of you and tactfully pull it down, unless your dress is so short it’s barely covering you! I personally will not be doing a garter toss, but I have no opinions either way for anyone else who does one. If you want to do one, go for it. People (women) can either participate or not.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics