Kelsey
Just Said Yes August 2021

September Wedding - Possible covid Postponement

Kelsey, on June 22, 2020 at 3:15 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 29
Saved
Reply

Hi everyone - yep, we're here with yet another COVID postponement post ):

Our wedding in Virginia is scheduled for September 13th, and it looks like we're on track to be in Phase 3 by then, which means we won't have to cut down our guest list and can have our wedding!

Sadly, we have some guests in the high-risk category and don't want them to get sick if they choose to attend our wedding. We also have guests that are nervous about traveling because they don't want to get sick either.

My fiancé and I really want to keep our September date, but we also want everyone to feel comfortable attending. We aren't sure if guests will be required to wear masks and want everyone to have fun. We aren't interested in having a smaller ceremony then postponing our larger celebration.

What is everyone else thinking of doing for their September weddings?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Kelsey, on June 24, 2020 at 1:30 PM
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

    We are still getting married on September 12th. The venue has given us a list of rules we have to follow, honestly they aren't too bad. We live in Wisconsin so business are designating their own rules. If people don't want to come or feel unsafe traveling that's fine but I'm not going to worry about that anymore. The most important thing is marrying my FH. 83 days left to go, RSVP's are coming in. I have only had 1 decline so far, FYI don't let your FH put together invites without telling them to number the RSVP's on the back. He was trying to help when he was off work but I got one back without a name or return address. To be fair he didn't know I was going to do that but he thought he would surprise me with having the invites all done.

    • Reply
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    My bff is keeping her sept date. Her mentality is that as long as those she wants most will be there then that’s all that matters. Half of her guest list was out of state already anyway and so it just felt like she was already expecting for a lot of people not to come even pre pandemic
    • Reply
  • Kelsey
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    I'm September 13th, the day after yours! Smiley smile I really do want to keep my wedding date, so I'm glad to hear that you are too. I'm not too worried but want everyone to feel safe! I'll have to ask my venue what rules they're putting in place, that's a good idea.

    Ha - I'll definitely be numbering all of them! Thanks for the tip!

    • Reply
  • Kelsey
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Melle -

    Yeah, I have a lot of out-of-town guests too and wasn't expecting them all to RSVP yes, so that actually makes a lot of sense. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks! Smiley smile

    • Reply
  • Emma
    Super October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    If you are only worried about a few guest, depending on who they are you could have them watch via zoom
    • Reply
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Honestly after speaking with my venue I felt so much better! I was also a creeper and drove by the venue this weekend they had their first wedding there. So I wanted to see it happening. The other thing I did was put the precautions my venue is taking that my guests need to know on my wedding website.

    He had good intentions but it just didn't work out very well. They looked great. But I should have communicated how I wanted them done better.

    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy September 2020
    Cristina ·
    • Flag
    We’re on Sept 27 (already postponed from May 3), and we’re moving forward unless told otherwise!
    • Reply
  • Emily
    Devoted May 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag

    I had a Sept 12 wedding, but decided to postpone it to May 15. A couple of factors played into this. The biggest one of 80% of our guest are high risk of getting COVID, and I don't want to risk it. Plus I don't want to play 2k for a venue that only about 20% of the people I want to share the day with to come.

    Second factor is our work has cut our hours. Now we can still afford to have a Sept wedding, but if I moved it back to May, I have more time to DIY and save to make it the wedding I really wanted it to be Smiley smile

    Ultimately, it is up to you, but if you have health concerns, then push it back. We don't know what the future hold for COVID. I'm sure it will still be around, but not sure how bad, and I didn't want to risk that. At least with a 2021 date, everyone has over a year to realize that this may be the new normal for awhile and they can come at their own risk.

    • Reply
  • Kelsey
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you don't have to postpone a second time!!Smiley smile

    • Reply
  • Carissa
    Just Said Yes September 2020
    Carissa ·
    • Flag
    My wedding date is September 19th in California. They announced ceremonies are ok but not receptions. I don’t know to weather to wait it out and see if they allow receptions or postpone.
    • Reply
  • Kelsey
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    That's tough...has the governor given any updates as to when CA moves into the next phase? I would probably postpone, so people don't have to fly in for a short ceremony, unless you think they'll move into another phase soon Smiley smile Good luck with your wedding!

    • Reply
  • Sylvie
    Dedicated September 2020
    Sylvie ·
    • Flag
    Hi and congrats! We have the same wedding date and our venue took some pretty good safety measures for us and the guest so we are keeping our date! They ensured us that hand sanitizers will be planted around the facility and everyone wear mask and they changed our seating to be spaced apart and I guess we are comfortable with it! I just want it to be over already 😩 this has been a stressful worry for us! Hope things work out for you!🥰
    • Reply
  • Anna
    VIP October 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    While my wedding isn’t until October, I’m just below you in NC and still planning things normally. I really think you should as well, but maybe consider having a web-streaming option for guests who want to attend but are worried about the health risk. Someone suggested to me having hand sanitizer as a favor (but available at the beginning). A large enough venue to help space people out as needed. I’m hoping no one will say masks are required in September, but making sure everyone feels welcome whether they want to wear a mask or not. I’m currently hoping to have my reception more in and out of doors, that the weather will be nice for yard games outside, for dancing to be outside thus more space and distance.
    • Reply
  • Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    We decided to keep our date, September 12th. We can only have 50 total people at the wedding, which is fine because we were planning a small wedding anyways. Our venue will require extra distance between tables and guests have to wear masks inside while they are not sitting at their table. Since our ceremony is outside, we’ll space people out a little more and group those living together, and if people want to wear masks that’s fine with us. We’re lucky to only have three guests from out of state, but unfortunately my FH’s best friend can’t come because he lives in South Korea. It was his decision to go ahead anyways. So far, the guests we’ve talked to are happy to come. We’ve communicated a lot with our guests and discussed our options more times than I can count over the last few months. Two of our guests had Covid-19 back in March and one was hospitalized for 4 days (he’s 36 and healthy), so we’re serious about the situation. Things have been looking good in Colorado and we hope that continues. We’re mostly concerned about tourism and the potential second wave in the fall, but we can’t control any of it.
    Good luck, these circumstances really suck!
    • Reply
  • Trisha
    Super October 2020
    Trisha ·
    • Flag
    Our Date Is Oct. 17th Also In VA. We Have 60 Guests And Arent Postponing Or Changing Anything Unless Our Venue Makes Us. If You Want To Keep Your Date But Make Guests Feel Comfortable, Provide Optional Masks As Well As Hand Sanitizer. Theres Only So Much You Can Do, The Choice To Attend Is Ultimately Up To Your Guests. I Think Things Will Be Alot Better By Then, Considering We’ve Been Trending Down Day By Day. ☺️
    • Reply
  • Michelle
    VIP September 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Hi we're September 19, 2020 and in Maryland where we made it to phase 2 but they retracted it 2 days later for the city of Baltimore 🤦🏾‍♀️ soooo we don't think we'll hit phase 3 anytime soon. Our fear is that we'll have to cut the guest list or only be able to seat 3 to 4 people to a table. We also don't want to wear masks on the big day and they will be required per our venue. We were waiting to decide in July to see if any additional changes rolled out but it's not looking too good. So, we're moving our date back unfortunately. It's cutting it too close for us.
    • Reply
  • Chelsea G
    Devoted June 2021
    Chelsea G ·
    • Flag
    Would you consider live streaming it through zoom or is it very important these people be there? Would it be ok if they wore masks or are you able to have it outside?


    It really stinks I postponed my June wedding to March. It’s just hard and remember theres going to be people who are uncomfortable but it’s your wedding and your special day so do what you want and will make you and FH happy Smiley smile
    • Reply
  • S
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

    We're getting married on 9/19/20 in NYC if our venue is open. It is in Phase 4, so either it will be open, and we will go ahead, or won't be open, and we will have to reschedule with no penalty. If we were to reschedule without them being closed, it would be a 50% loss on deposit - which we can't afford. I have no idea what the restrictions are going to look like - at all, and that is making me nervous. I do not want to have a bunch of masks in our photos, but we may not have a choice. We're lucky that the venue is mostly open space (water front) so that may give us a bit of wiggle room. Unfortunately, I don't think our venue knows what restrictions the city will have in place, so they weren't able to give us much guidance at all.

    I wish you and your FH all the best of luck. Smiley heart This is the pits.

    • Reply
  • Sakinna
    Dedicated September 2020
    Sakinna ·
    • Flag
    We rescheduled our original June 5th date to September 19th in Michigan. The governor opened outdoor events on the 15th of June! So I am super glad we changed it before we were forced to. We are just doing a small ceremony and reception in our backyard with 20-25 people. We had to change the original guest count but only by 10. We did this just in case we had to move people indoors. Hopefully the weather will be perfect! We only have one couple coming from out of state, but since she is FH’s daughter we know she will try her best to make it. We are considering recording it and sending to those we couldn’t re-invite. I hope everything works out for you! Congratulations!
    • Reply
  • Crystal
    Devoted September 2021
    Crystal Online ·
    • Flag
    We’re in the midsts of figuring this out our selves. We are considering reducing our even size and having our sept 26th wedding (we’ve been engaged for almost two years at this point) and we’re thinking a cocktail party later on or next year even for those who cannot go.
    Our Venue thinks by sept here in Wa we should be ok to have 100 people but I’m leery of sending out that many invitations and then having to cancel them !
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics