I, like many brides, had to postpone my original wedding on May 2,2020 to September 19,2020. As of last week we had wrapped our head around the idea of postponing AGAIN to May of 2021 just to be safe. Our wedding will be in Charlotte NC and we currently still have the 10 person cap on indoor events and 25 on outdoor. I didn’t see how they’d go from only allowing 10 to allowing over 100 from June to September. We originally invited about 250. BUT starting this Monday I started hearing A LOT of ppl still going ahead with their fall events. I work in the restaurants industry and we have been Getting a lot of inquiries about catering weddings in July and September and they are for at least 100 ppl. So I’m like ppl are still having their events!! I don’t know what to think or do anymore! Is anyone still considering having their Event in doors with at least 150 ppl?? 😬
It might be best to just play it safe and have it later. You're inviting 250 people, paying for all of those invitations and the head count and might not hear from most of those people until the last few weeks due to insecurity over the pandemic. This will cause you more stress. Then, if there are still heavy restrictions on guest numbers, you will have to cut your guest list and disinvite people.
I think what it comes down to is what is best for both you and your guests' health and safety. If going ahead with your September plans is best, do it, but if having your wedding later is the least stressful and most safe option, then do that.
I like being on the safe side of things, especially because my husband is a high risk for COVID. That being said we are invited to a wedding in September that was postponed from May. We haven’t had discussions yet about whether or not we would go, but I’m under the assumption we are going. Luckily the bride and groom already planned to have an outdoor picnic reception so there is enough space for social distancing. I haven’t heard from the bride if she plans on postponing, they’ve been together for over 10 years since high school... I think she’s ready to tie the knot!
My wedding is indoors, and I invited a total of 160 people. I'm assuming 100 or less will show up. My wedding is August 29 in southeastern PA, so a big hotspot. With our counties opening up, and with Delaware and NJ next door and lifting their restrictions (Delaware is now letting large gatherings - outside - up to 250! And it's 10 minutes away from me!), I am more positive that things will be lifted in August for me to have my wedding, even if it's less than 100 people. I'm already receiving RSVP's and 48 people have RSVP'ed yes. Good luck!
I'm also getting married Sept 19th and I'm from Charlotte! Our wedding is in Asheville though. We were planning to invite 135 people, but waiting to send out formal invites until we hear something about Phase 3 and what that even means. We've decided that it's more important for us to get married under whatever circumstance instead of postponing, so we're moving full steam ahead. I'm pretty confident that the number of people allowed to gather will increase, but I'm not sure by how much.
Also, I don't know where everything stands with the RNC coming to Charlotte right now (I know the governor had words with the president over it), but I would argue that if the RNC can come to town in August with thousands of people, you should be able to have your wedding! lol
View Quoted Comment
I am so happy to hear you are moving forward! Funny you mention RNC. We knew that if they had it in Charlotte we would definitely be able to have it. I believe Cooper indicated that it’s not going to happen. So now we are stuck like you waiting to see what the restrictions will be. Are you having yours inside or out?
I heard that about the RNC too, but wasn't sure if it was official or not! Our venue is basically a barn, so it's classified as outdoors. What bothers me is that we can have up to 300 people for an outdoor ceremony (because its a "religious gathering"), but only 25 for the reception.. but that's a rant for another day haha. So sorry you're having to deal with all of this -- hopefully some clarity will come whenever we hear more about phase 3!
View Quoted Comment
We’ve sent out 180 so kinda. Honestly I don’t know that many will come. We have a lot of out of state guests who probably won’t want to fly. My venue is only allowing around 175 people (but can hold 300) so we will see. I don’t know what to do if they lower the capacity. Lol. What about you?
I feel like hang in there before canceling... my big July wedding/vow renewal was pushed back to 2021 BUT literally the week of my small ceremony on July 25 bars will be open in MA ... so I feel like wait ...
But be prepared for rules you might not like such as tables being far apart, I read on here someone is having no dancing 🙃 so Itis up to you.
I'm on the safe side. We are moving out Oct. 25 2020 wedding to Nov. 2021. Many family members on my FH's family are immune compromise, including his mother and sister. We have over 50% of our guest list flying in from NJ/NY/PA area, and the whispers from them about flying in 2020 is enough to drive me nuts. Our food and beverage package will not go down in price if a large portion my family won't fly down out of fear - so we'd be paying the same price whether 100 people come, or 150 come. We do not want to make our guest torn on making the decision to come or not. My mother is afraid to throw me a bridal shower, same with my sister on a weekend bach trip. We are in Jacksonville, and now the RNC is coming HERE - and the virus is back on the rise (good grief). I just want to feel safe, and I don't want to feel cheated on engagement and being on pins and needles until October. We went back and forth for a while - thought of all scenerios. There are days I feel guilty waiting another year, but I know I'd feel guilty not having the wedding I truly want. It's a tough call all around, and nobody has the right answers - YOU DO YOU. Cheers to all brides making the best of their decisions, whichever way the wind blows us!
Sorry this is a novel! I guess I just needed to get all my thoughts out!!
Our wedding is also Sept 19th, and I went to college in Charlotte! But our wedding will be in a small town outside of Florence, SC.
I keep feeling so pressured to cancel or just give up with planning, but my family and fiance have all been really optimistic. Pretty much, fiance & I agreed we are going to get married on that date even if no one shows up. We've already sent invites out, and our website has a note saying, "Our hearts go out to all those who have been negatively affected by COVID-19. We are staying current with the news and will keep you posted if our plans change. For now, we are looking forward to seeing all of you again!"
While we should all respect current CDC guidelines, at the end of the day you cannot control how people will act/feel at your wedding. For my fiance and I, as long as we're allowed to have an event with our guest count (est. about 100 will show up), we'll go forward with it and leave it up to our guests whether they feel comfortable participating after the ceremony (our ceremony is at a huge church where people can sit apart if they want, whereas our reception is in a small building on the lake).
I've heard of several weddings happening as normal these past several weeks. I've also heard fearful remarks about how the known cases of COVID-19 are increasing in SC, and projected to increase as aftermath from Memorial Day and protests. There are many strong arguments on both sides (to cancel or not to cancel), but at the end of the day it's up to CDC and State Regulations first, and then ultimately just up to you and your fiance to decide how YOU want to celebrate your wedding day. If you think you can go forward with plans without being too worried about everyone, then do it! You can always take a few extra measures to help people stay safe at your event (provide lots of hand sanitizer, ask that guests take their temperature and do a self-check before coming, scoot seats apart, make sure guests know they are allowed to wear masks if they want, etc). BUT, I would just recommend that you stay aware of your thought process through all of this. If you are extremely worried & you don't think you can move past those worries, then I'd probably reschedule.
For a while, I kept getting sad over the idea of just seeing a bunch of spaced-apart masks looking at me as I walk down the aisle. I had this picture in my mind that our entire wedding day was going to be tainted by a dark cloud of fear, but my fiance is helping me stay positive and reminding me to be excited about OUR WEDDING instead of worrying about how people will feel. This makes a difference! It stinks to have to keep planning everything around the virus (not sure how I'm going to have a bach. party or bridal shower, or whether we'll be able to travel for a honeymoon, etc.), but the best we can do is remind ourselves to BE EXCITED about the fun things that we can do. Time to get creative!
So far NC is not ready to enter Phase 3 because the number of positive cases continue to rise. The state is predicted to hit its peak number of cases mid September. Additionally the peak may rise even higher than predicted because of gatherings over memorial day and the various protests, but it will take a few weeks to see if that happens or not. Even without those, the numbers have definitely been going up more since we moved into Phase 1 and 2. Personally, I didn't want the stress of having to worry about the number of people allowed or having to wear masks so we postponed to next year and hoping for a better situation then.
As for the inquires you have been getting at work, I have heard from several friends in NC say that there are reports that the pandemic is over and we don't have to take precautions. Sadly this couldn't be further from the truth as we head towards our peak not away from it. We have more cases now than we had when the stay in place order was announced. I am shocked when I see people out and about not wearing masks or physically distancing.
September 12th, 2020 bride here. I was SO stubborn about moving my date. But realistically since we have 200 guests in an indoor and outdoor venue and a lot of people traveling to hey here: we decided it was best to postpone to July 24th, 2021. I’m a nurse and I’m all about the facts but it’s just not realistic or ideal to spend all that money on a 200-250 guest count if it’s most likely not going to happen. And there will most certainly be restrictions until we are on the other side of this immunity wise or there is a vaccine. There is a spike that is inevitable in the fall or winter we just don’t know when.. To me it came down to money and the experience I wanted for my wedding. But again; my expectations are for more of a normalized day where people feel safe and comfortable and not in masks. It’s not ideal and it sucks but if you want anything like a normal wedding i would postpone just to relieve stress and have some peace of mind. I hope is all works out!!!❤️
Also to add you don’t want people RSVPing and then last minute the virus change or spike and people back out and you don’t get that money back. Just some of my thoughts when I postponed for next year.
And I rescheduled my shower to next March and bachelorette to next April:/ You want to be able to enjoy those events!
Queen Cone ·
Im in NY. right now only 25 people gatherings are allowed. the next phase is the last phase so I know it will have to be at least 50, I’m thinking maybe 50% capacity of the venue. some states like ohio are already allowing 300!