S
Beginner June 2021

Separating siblings

Sydney, on August 15, 2020 at 8:15 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 9
Saved
Hi everyone!

We are trying to finalize our guest list for our wedding. I am a martial artist and am in class with teens and adults. One of the teens in my class and I train and teach almost every day together and I have grown close to his parents as well. I want to invite him and his family but we are not inviting any children under 13 (unless they’re family). He has a younger brother who is 6 years younger than him. We adore but we don’t want anyone to get mad if we make an exception for him. Is it okay to not invite their younger brother?
Thanks!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Tara, on August 20, 2020 at 11:54 AM
  • Sherri
    Devoted August 2020
    Sherri ·
    • Flag
    You don't owe anyone any explanation. It's your day. You invite those that mean the most to you.
  • Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    This is why setting and age limit gets awkward. In my experience, no guests under 18 makes more sense to guests than inviting one of their kids and not the other. It’s your day and you absolutely should invite who you want, but try to see it from your guests perspective too.
  • Theadra
    Devoted June 2021
    Theadra ·
    • Flag

Invite people you want to be there. You don't owe anyone anything. You set the rules

• Alisa
    Devoted August 2020
    Alisa ·
    • Flag

Do what feels best for you and your fiancé but prepared for others to feel like you made an unfair exception one way or another. if you don't invite the sibling is it likely that the whole family might not come?

• Tori
    Dedicated November 2020
    Tori ·
    • Flag
    I was a martial art instructor for years! What art do you teach? I’m a first degree in Shoalin Kenpo. Anyway, I’m inviting a select few of my past students. Ones who I’ve gotten close to their families. If anyone complains, I was just going to tell them I didn’t know the little ones would come. I think it will take the pressure off of me. Not like anyone will say anything anyway.
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    This is why it should be either no children or all children. If you say he can come other guests will be upset, but if you say he can't his parents will be upset. Either way you're going to upset someone. My advice is not to set an age limit and either allow all or no children.
  • M
    VIP January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

I agree you can invite whom you want to your wedding, but I would reconsider inviting any students at all if you have to make difficult decisions like this. Mixing business and personal can get tricky really fast.

• Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Its your wedding, your rules no matter if others disagree.
  • Tara
    VIP November 2016
    Tara ·
    • Flag

Maybe just invite the parents and neither of the kids? It might be odd if you invite only one of the kids and not the other and the parents might get a little offended.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics