Laura
Dedicated November 2019

Securing a cape

Laura, on September 14, 2019 at 12:15 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 7
Saved Save

So I fell in love with this dress:

https://www.azazie.com/products/azazie-arnett-wedding-dress?color=diamond-white/champagne&is_plus_size=1

Exceeeeept that it has no decor on the skirt. The bodice is GORGEOUS and it feels SO nice to wear, but I wanted to give it a little more pop. So, I thought that I would make a tulle cape with rhinestone decorations and attach it to this back part:

Back of dressSecuring a cape 1

I know the easiest way would be to just sew it to the inside of the dress, but considering it's a corsetted back I'd prefer not having to do that since the back will never be the exact same length at all times. So is there something small and unobtrusive I could use to attach this theoretical cape to the back of the dress without making it permanent? Or even a way to disguise something that is obtrusive would work too.

7 Comments

• Monique
    Rockstar December 2019
    Monique ·
    My first thought is: What about clear buttons? My second thought is: I really do not think you need to add anything to make the skirt pop. It’s a beautiful dress all on its own. I think it stands out regardless of it not having any embellishments.
  • Michelle
    Devoted March 2020
    Michelle ·
    I honestly don't think the dress needs anything! It's gorgeous and I'm sure it'll be gorgeous on you!!!
  • Megan
    Super November 2020
    Megan ·
    If you wanted to do something concealed, you could do hook closures (like on a bra) on the inside top of the dress so the cape would technically hook inside the dress.
  • Laura
    Dedicated November 2019
    Laura ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh, it does. But until last night I was going back and forth between this one or one where the sparkles extended into the skirt (and the one everyone here liked because of said sparkles) but would require way too much alteration to get to fit right in the bodice. (The one in the picture with the cape is the one I decided against, the two without the cape are the ones I decided for.)

Securing a cape 2

Securing a cape 3

Securing a cape 4
  • Laura
    Dedicated November 2019
    Laura ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Oooh, maybe not that, but that made me think of those clips people use for shoe clips. Maybe something like that would work? Then hide them with some applique at the top of the cape.
  • Megan
    Super November 2020
    Megan ·
    View Quoted Comment
    And then it would be way easier than trying to fasten 10 little bra hooks 😂😂
    and hiding it with appliqué is a really great idea!!
  • Annie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Annie ·
    I think your dress is beautiful already, it stands out and doesn’t really need anything else.

But, the clear buttons would work if that’s really what you want!! Good luck!

Comment on this discussion