Nicole
Savvy October 2019

Seating children at reception?

Nicole, on September 10, 2019 at 10:02 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 16
Saved Save

Where is everyone seating children (and their parents) at their reception? Do people with kids prefer to be near the exit in case of bathroom breaks or crying? Or maybe one of the tables near a wall-just to have a clear path to the bathrooms/exit?

My flower girl will be included in this particular table. We're having a band and I'm not sure if it will be too loud having them be one of the tables closest to the dance floor, but I do know it'd mean a lot to her to be able to see the first dance, cake cutting, etc.

Here is our layout:
Seating layoutSeating children at reception? 1

16 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·

Unless they're small children, 3 or under, I really wouldn't consider the location of the table in the room. I would seat them wherever they fit just like everyone else.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·

The only children at daughter's wedding were the four siblings (ages 4-10) who were in the wedding. She seated them with their parents at a table toward the back side of the space, nearest the exits and the restrooms. However, she only had 13 tables, with the dance floor in the center, so they were still pretty close to the "action"!

• Nicole
    Savvy October 2019
    Nicole ·
    View Quoted Comment
    There will be 3 children under the age of 3 at this table!
  • Kelly
    Master October 2018
    Kelly ·
    We sat children with their parents at whatever table they fit in best with. Aunts and uncles with others aunts and uncles and family friends with other family friends that they knew. Our dinner was in a separate space from our dance floor so I can’t speak to that part.
  • M
    Super September 2019
    Miss ·
    2 kids Tables for the 7-20 year olds. The Ring Bearer (will be 3 nine days after the Wedding) will sit with his Parents and the 4 yo Flower Girl will be at the Head Table next to her Mom (Bridesmaid) but she will not be facing the crowd.
  • K
    Devoted November 2019
    Kiley ·

We are doing assigned seating and I did not factor in "location" when assigning tables. We have a smaller venue to begin with, but I just sat them with their parents and as the tables allowed.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    I sat then in the tables at the edges so that baby chairs and strollers had more room on the sides
  • FutureMrsD
    Legend July 2019
    FutureMrsD ·

I didn't even think of where to sit kids in the room, we had kids under 3 scattered all over the room and everything worked out fine since they were by their parents.

• Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney ·

Our flower girl, the only child at the wedding, is sitting with her mom and other bridesmaids. It just so happened that that table will be one of those closest to the main entryway.

• G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby ·
    View Quoted Comment
    You're putting teenagers and adults at a kid's table? I'm 23 and I would barely be out of your kids table. Do they know they're going to be seated with children?
  • G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby ·
    We're just seating children with their parents. We will have 30 plus children in attendance, so I'm not going to factor in where everyone should sit. I know parents are competent enough to find their paths to exist and bathrooms. As a mom of a 3 year old, a bathroom is the first thing I scope out usually.
  • A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena ·

My only suggestion would be to not put them close to the band if they are really little. Otherwise, the kid situation didn't dictate where I put my family tables (We only invited family kids). I worked from immediate family, bridal party, cousins, then out to friends.

• Emily
    Dedicated November 2019
    Emily ·

My parents are sitting at the first table and his parents are sitting at the second table

• Thea
    Dedicated September 2019
    Thea ·

We are doing two kids tables that were a bit further from the noise of the band, but still close to where there parents will be seated. Toddlers/babies will be with their parents in highchairs towards the back of the hall so that it is easier for them to get around and to the bathroom. One of the toddlers is our ring bearer, but we also aren't doing a head table so we never considered including him more towards the front.

• Cathy
    Dedicated October 2019
    Cathy ·

I'm putting the kids with their parents, so the parents can supervise them. They can all get together later during the dancing part if they wish.

• W-K
    Devoted October 2019
    W-K ·

I'm seating kids with their parents and the tiny ones close to an exit. Not that my sisters will use said exit if their spawn acts up but I can at least reference it when I'm chewing them out later.

Comment on this discussion