Andrea
Super April 2020

Seating Charts- Who sits with who?

Andrea, on July 11, 2019 at 6:25 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 46
Saved Save

Hey everyone!

If you are doing a seating chart, how are you putting everyone together. Are you perhaps doing it by:

1. Households

2. By Association (e.g all co workers, all aunts, all uncles, cousins, etc)

3. Or an alternative way?

I find the seating chart something sort of hard to put together. Any suggestions or tips?

46 Comments

• Lizzy
    Super October 2019
    Lizzy ·
    I'm doing it a mix, families will be together and then like work people, friends, etc
  • Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·

I'm doing kind of a combination of 1 and 2. I'm keeping households together (mom, dad, kids), but then I'll have to mix it up a little, since the tables seat 8 or 9, and there isn't a family with 8 or 9 people in it.

I'm also trying to seat my side together, rather than mixing with FHs side. Although, I could encourage them to get to know each other by seating them differently. It's hard, and as you can see from my response, I don't have it all worked out yet. But starting with the baseline of households first, then associations second. We'll see how it goes.

• Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

OHHH okay, that makes sense. Thanks Lizzy!!

• April
    Dedicated January 2020
    April ·
    Haven't gotten close to putting that together but I plan to mix people up somewhat by interest and personality.
  • Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hey Cristy,

Yeah that sounds like a good starting foundation. That makes sense. Yeah, it sort of seems like keeping households together would make a lot of sense, and then just adding accordingly.

• Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hey April,

Yeah we still have a lot of time, and your wedding is before mine! Haha! But yeah I just wanted some general ideas to keep in my mind and be able to look back at.

• Arkilia
    Super October 2020
    Arkilia ·
    I am thinking I will go by association; households, coworkers. So like your 1 & 2
  • Samantha
    Dedicated September 2019
    Samantha ·

For ours we are just having people sit wherever they want. We'll have our head table with the bridal party but other than that its a mix of our family and friends. I think it just makes things easier and gives people a chance to talk and get to know one another.

• ASMini914
    Expert September 2019
    ASMini914 ·
    Most of our guests are traveling from out of state, so I am trying to group them with people they know. I will probably have to put some of my dads friends with my FMILs friends, but that’s because I think they have things in common. I may also mix all of the cousins together but really just because of how the table sizes work out. For friends, FH has a group of camp friends who I will put together, and his band friends will be together, and some random ones filling the extra seats at those tables. I’ll be putting my friends together in similar groups.
  • Hannah
    VIP July 2019
    Hannah ·
    What I did was write each couple/family on index cards. I then grouped people based on who they knew for sure. If that didn't equal between 8-10, I would think about who may get along well and group smaller pairings together that way. I only had 115 people to contend with, so it wasn't too bad. For me, the physical cards I could move around made it a lot easier.
  • Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, Samantha, that's really different. I was thinking about doing open seating, but worried about people feeling out of place. So happy for you.

• Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hey Arkilia, thank you for your input

• Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, that sounds like a good plan. I love those ideas!

• Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hannah, that's actually a pretty smart way to go about it, using the index cards. I like that!!

• ASMini914
    Expert September 2019
    ASMini914 ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I made an excel sheet (I love excel) and just basically made 14 little “tables” by listing out the numbers 1-10, and then started filling in guests names. It was easier to start with the bridal party/their dates since I knew they were coming, then each parent has their own table (mine are divorced) and figuring out who would sit at their tables, etc.
  • Samantha
    Dedicated September 2019
    Samantha ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I tried to do a seating chart but I have a lot of family and less friends and he’s got more friends and less family so I was running in to the same problems as you and it just got a little overwhelming so I decide to “screw it” basically and since doing that I’ve felt so much better. I’m sure whatever you decide will be perfect!
  • Ashley
    Devoted October 2020
    Ashley ·
    I still have a lot of time so I have a couple scenarios. 1 if we do a sweetheart and 1 if we do a head table. It’s mostly family together and then friends. If we do a head table I will probably mix my immediate with his immediate family
  • Melissa
    Rockstar September 2019
    Melissa ·
    We haven’t done ours yet but we will do them in circles, like mom’s side cousins together, aunts and uncles together, coworkers, and different friend groups.
  • Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hey Ashley, that sounds like a good plan!

• Andrea
    Super April 2020
    Andrea ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hey Melissa, yeah doing them in circles sounds like a simple way to go about it, thank you so much for your input!

Comment on this discussion