J
Just Said Yes December 2018

Seamstress somehow ruined hem of my dress

Jen, on August 24, 2018 at 6:17 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 13
Saved

Hello!

First time poster, hoping for some feedback from the community.

I just got my dress back from the tailor last night. I was always slightly worried that she wasn't really hearing me properly but stupidly decided to ignore that voice in my head. Turns out I should have listened.

Basically, I wanted her to remove the train from my dress, without losing the horsehair trim which was one of my favorite things about the dress. She said she could do it, and I said great. The second time I came in, the horsehair trim was removed completely from the dress and it was shortened. She had me try it on and I loved that I wasn't weighed down with the train. I then checked that she would add the trim back on and she said that she would.

Fast forward to last night. I picked up the dress and it had only horsehair trim on the top tier. I queried why and she said that it was always going to be impossible to keep it on the bottom tier - which of course is the first time I have heard this! You can see from the photos below that actually the dress wasn't too terribly long on me, and if I had known this would happen I never would have okayed it.

My questions to the community are: 1) Is it truly terrible-looking? I keep changing my mind, and to many I have shown the photos to, it doesn't seem to be something noticeable (i.e. only I know it because I know the dress so well), so wondering if it's just me, and 2) Is it at all possible to take this to a competent tailor who may be able to re-attach a horsehair hem to the bottom tier? I don't know much about how difficult this might be.

And oh yeah, wedding is in 3 weeks!

Original skirtSeamstress somehow ruined hem of my dress 1

Altered skirtSeamstress somehow ruined hem of my dress 2

13 Comments

Latest activity by Jen, on August 24, 2018 at 10:53 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

It is, unfortunately, something that I would notice. It may not be as obvious though to someone who hasn't been looking at wedding gowns for months and months. I guess I just don't understand why she could reattach the top layer and not the bottom? I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would at least schedule a consult with someone else. Doesn't hurt to try!

• S
    Savvy September 2018
    Suzanne ·
    • Flag
    I had to look a few times to see it. I guess I notice it now, but if you came walking down the aisle all decked out I would never think "the trim on the bottom doesn't match!" I think it's a bummer, but not a deal breaker. It's a beautiful dress in any case! Three weeks before your wedding, you don't need to worry about this! You should still love the dress and the effect on the top layer is all people would have noticed anyway!

...after the wedding is said and done, I would write a review and warn the seamstress about her communication style.

Best of luck!
  • M
    Savvy October 2018
    MOBAMYJ ·
    • Flag

I hope you can find someone to fix this. If it were me, I would be devastated with the way it now looks. I am so sorry..

• Sara
    Expert October 2018
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The top layer was probably shortened at the top instead of the hem.
  • Sara
    Expert October 2018
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    If it's something that's going to bother you, it doesn't hurt to call around and see if anyone can add it back.
  • Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag
    I had to look again to see it, but if you'll be self-conscious going down the aisle, get it fixed.
  • WED18
    July 1993
    WED18 ·
    • Flag

Doesn’t look to me like there was enough extra length to re-do the hem once the train was removed. However, I don’t see why she couldn’t use the extra fabric from the train to add to the bottom layer so there is enough to fold under and create the thick trim. I would get another opinion. I would notice it as a guest but mostly because my middle daughter who married last month had the same type of skirt. I hope you find someone to fix it and have the dress of your dreams!

Trim.Seamstress somehow ruined hem of my dress 3

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

What the heck! If she can add it back to the top layer she can add it back to the bottom layer. I hate to say it but it looks weird with it just on the top layer. The bottom layer looks unfinished. I'd be demanding she fix it.

• LP-WiscoBride
    Dedicated November 2018
    LP-WiscoBride ·
    • Flag
    I would get a second opinion on this. My dress had one layer with horse hair at the hem (under the outer lace layer). I did my own alterations which included shortening the dress and train. I removed the horsehair, shortened the tulle, then sewed the horsehair back on. Did she give you a reason why she cannot put it back on the bottom layer?
  • J
    Jen ·
    • Flag

Thanks to you all for your input!

It is interesting that opinions are split here - it has been the same when I have shown friends and family. But honestly, I know that it will just bother me if I don't get it sorted.

I have just called her and she is very apologetic and has asked me to take it back so we can work something out. She did say she may be able to fix the bottom hem. I think she has just not been very clear with me and I have not been great about clarifying. Lesson learned now and I won't make that mistake again!

• Angela
    Dedicated September 2018
    Angela ·
    • Flag

I don't know if 100 people told you they wouldn't notice, if you'd actually feel relieved. In your heart of hearts, if you are not happy with it, it will reflect on how you feel on your wedding day. I would take it to a second tailor and get a consultation. I think with the scrap fabric they can try to do something. Seems weird that she didn't mention that to you before she CUT your dress. I would also ask for a discount because the first tailor did not do what she said she could.

Personally, horsehair dresses usually always have the detail on all of the tiers/layers of the dress. They're designed that way because that's the aesthetic. Will everyone notice? No. Will some? yes. Most importantly... will you notice? Seems like a yes to me.

• J
    Jen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Looks like almost the same dress - and it's gorgeous Smiley smile

• J
    Jen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You are totally right. I keep trying to convince myself it will be fine, and to say no one will really notice. But I am the one who will notice, so that's enough, right? Thanks for your wise words.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics