Skip to main content
Abigail
Beginner December 2019

Savings and fundraising

Abigail, on October 10, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Posted in Planning 35

Hello everyone, my fiance and I are starting to plan our weeding but don't have an ecxact date posted fot the wedding to happen since him and I are really low in budget and don't really have a lot of savings. We don't want a big wedding, just a ceremony with only our families and some close friends...
Hello everyone, my fiance and I are starting to plan our weeding but don't have an ecxact date posted fot the wedding to happen since him and I are really low in budget and don't really have a lot of savings. We don't want a big wedding, just a ceremony with only our families and some close friends and maybe go to a restaurant and have dinner with our closest relatives. I've posted some fundraisers but hadn't have luck on having anyone to donate and am really worried on if it would work or not. I have tried to share it multiple times on social network and to friends and told them to share it too, but no one is helping out. I have at least $2,000 on my savings account that have been saving so a can get a new car but I'm afraid that I would need to use them so we can have a descent ceremony, plus both salaries aren't enough to save enough money by the end of the year. Can anyone suggest some other ways so we could raise to help a little bit with the wedding funds?

35 Comments

• Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Then comment something useful and give advise on how else I can make some extra money for it. I'm trying to be nice here, but nobody is giving good advice. I posted here to look for other ways for people to help me, not skoldong me.
  • Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is actually a helpful comment, thank you for your advice, i'll look up on it. And by saying I have some things set up, it's because we actually have a friend who is a pastor and has a church and is going to do all the arranges for the papers and the ceremony without us paying anything. The only thing we have to pay for are the blood exams and stuff like that.
  • Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Him and I could actually do a side job, but the I would have to stop studying and he will have to stop sleeping.
  • Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I already have a part-time job and study at the same time, he has a full time job, if he gets a side job he wouldn't sleep at all and I would have to stop studying.
  • Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I have a direct deposit every week of $10 and sending what I don't need in the week directly to my savings account. It is very difficult doing it cause my salary is very low, I only stick with I think I will actually need for the week, or else I will end up with nothi g at the end of the week, but it is a sacrifice. And about the meal preping, I'm looking for healthy options, would you have any sugestions you like to do?
  • Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for your suggestions. Have a nice day
  • Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh, it sounds interesting, but I don't think I have that type of luck with bank stuff. I'll look for better jobs then. Thank you.
  • Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don't think they would or should, it was something somebody suggested me to do and didn't think it was a good idea. I actually put down the fundraisers a long time ago 'cause it disn't work just like a suspected. I'm not the type of person to ask for money to ANYONE, not even my parents, I'm too proud for it. It is very rare for me to ask for money, I only do it when I'm stuck in a hole that can't get out of.
  • Abigail
    Beginner December 2019
    Abigail ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for the suggestions and the actually sincere and good comment you left. Have a nice day.
  • Shelby
    Expert November 2020
    Shelby ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh believe me I know it can be tough, by the time I put money away for the wedding and bills, gas and food I’m pretty low the rest of the week. I don’t have any healthy options for meal prepping but Pinterest would be a great place to look. I have seen some people make a salad for everyday of the week as a snack. If you have a sams club or Costco near you that’s where I would grocery shop, so that way you can buy in bulk and it’ll last you a while. Especially if it’s just the 2 of you. I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Shelby
    Expert November 2020
    Shelby ·
    • Flag
    Here is one link for meal prepping. There’s about 100 and something recipes Smiley smile

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/budgetbytes/budget-friendly-meal-prep-ideas/
  • Jennifer
    VIP August 2021
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I'm just being genuinely curious, is it religious reasons that you want to be married in a church?

If you aren't having a reception anyway, why can't you both go to the courthouse and get married for a lot cheaper? Just the two of you and your families/closest friends. Then go out for a nice dinner after, the whole day and night (depending on how many people come with you and go to dinner) could cost less than $500!

Once you finish school and begin working full time, you could plan a vow renewal for a milestone anniversary where you can go all out with the wedding dress, etc. Even have a reception-like party after. I know a lot of couples who have done something like this, and they were glad they waited until they were able to afford what they wanted to do it, but they were even more glad that they were married when they wanted to be!

But if that's not what you want, that's okay! A lot of places are hiring for holiday help right now, and some of those places keep people on after the holidays too! Even if you worked only for a few months at one of those places, most of those checks could go the wedding! Good luck!! Smiley smile

• M
    VIP January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    "Can anyone suggest some other ways so we could raise to help a little bit with the wedding funds?"

I agree with everyone else that asking for donations is inappropriate. I see you abandoned that option because "no one is helping out." Your friends are clearly telling you they don't want to fund your wedding. Listen to them.

There are only two ways to raise the money for an expense: make more money or cut back on money you are spending.

As far as making more money, there are all kinds of part time jobs and "side hustles" to investigate. Driving for Lyft/Uber/Doordash, selling things you own on Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist, making and selling things on Etsy, babysitting, working as a catering server, and on and on. Many, many people work full time (or more) and go to school full time; it's difficult but possible (especially for a finite period).

Cutting back on expenses is also smart. Track EVERYTHING you spend for a couple of weeks and cut out anything non-essential. Move somewhere cheaper. Do without new clothes, haircuts, date nights. So many possibilities, especially in the short term.

The third way to look at this is to cut back your wedding budget. The marriage license and officiant are really the only required things. Everything else is optional.

And finally, you could move your wedding plans out and wait longer to save up money.

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

A small wedding can still be meaningful and special! Having a small courthouse wedding now and a larger vow renewal later is a good option Smiley heart

• Vicky
    VIP January 2020
    Vicky ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This isn't a hole you can't get out of. You have a ton of options other than asking other people for money.

In reply to an earlier question you asked, yes, a wedding reception is a party. If you don't want to have a reception, you can't have guests and your ceremony should be pretty darn cheap to get married with just you and your FI and an officiant. The reason you need a reception of some sort if you're having guests is that you need to thank your guests for attending by hosting them with food and drink appropriate to the time of day. That's a party. However, it doesn't have to be an expensive party. If you have your ceremony and reception at a non-meal time (e.g. start the ceremony at 2 pm, reception immediately following and ending before 6 pm) then you don't need to serve a meal - you can do what's called a 'cake and punch' wedding (doesn't have to be literally cake and punch, but e.g. grocery store appetizers and sheet cake and coffee/tea/lemonade/etc would be appropriate and low cost).

Or you can just wait several years, until you are in a more stable financial position. A lot of people do that. Wait until you both have stable, higher-paying jobs and you're out of school. You don't need to be in a rush to get married and it's better to wait and save up if you can't afford the kind of wedding you want yet.

Or you can elope, just the two of you. Or do a courthouse wedding with a handful of people (e.g. immediate family) and take them out to dinner at a restaurant that you can afford afterwards as your reception. Or a courthouse wedding with just the two of you. Plan a local elopement in a beautiful spot with an officiant, just the two of you. Maybe have a bigger vow renewal later after you've had time to save up and get in a more stable position, if you still really want a larger celebration with your friends and family.

You have a ton of options that don't involve begging people for money.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics