MsFtoMrsR
Devoted August 2016

Sand Ceremony v. Unity Candle

MsFtoMrsR, on June 19, 2016 at 9:35 PM Posted in Planning

I am torn as to whether we should do a sand ceremony or light a unity candle. I doubt that it will be particularly windy, so I'm not too worried about the candles in that regard. Any pros/cons or reasons that you chose one over the other?

Share:

17 Comments

• Christina
    VIP September 2017
    Christina ·

We are going with the sand ceremony. I love that we will have a unique piece of "art" work that symbolizes our relationship. I couldn't see myself displaying burnt candles.

• MizzzCara
    Master June 2017
    MizzzCara ·

I'm not really a fan of either but do you know what the ring one is called? Where you pass the rings to the guests so they can bless them?

• MsFtoMrsR
    Devoted August 2016
    MsFtoMrsR ·

@Cara - I don't think I've ever seen/heard of the ring ceremony. I'd be interested to learn more, though!

• MsFtoMrsR
    Devoted August 2016
    MsFtoMrsR ·

@Christina W. - You bring up a good point - I'd be more likely to display the sand than the candles as well..!

• MizzzCara
    Master June 2017
    MizzzCara ·

It was a different thread and I had never heard of it before so I googled it. Now I can't remember what it was called. I was thinking about just passing the rings to my closest family members instead of everyone ... But I'm sure others know way more about it!

• Christina
    VIP September 2017
    Christina ·

I have seen something in a thread about a ring ceremony too but I didn't look too much into it. That does sound interesting though.

• Shannon
    Expert October 2017
    Shannon ·

We're doing a sand ceremony because we want to involve our kids in it (we have both been married before). My ex-husband and I did the unity candle thing...we couldn't get it to light...in a church with no wind...should have taken that as an omen.

• AMW
    Master September 2016
    AMW ·

Ring Warming or Ring Blessing.

I wouldn't do the candles if you're outside...and I've seen enough YouTube wedding disasters to know that I'm not having a single open flame in my wedding lol.

My FH and I are doing the unity sand thing, but instead of sand we're pouring salt and pepper, and our favors will be some kind of spice mixture (perhaps a flavored salt).

• Celia Milton
    April 2019
    Celia Milton ·

It's a ring warming. The rings are passed around to everyone to make a wish on them (the officiant shouldn't stop talking, just sent them on their way and move through the ceremony.).

Candles don't work outside, 90% of the time.

Any unity 'ritual' you include should have some meaning to you, when you consider the whole ceremony is one big unity ritual.

We're doing a lot of glass pourings, which is similar to sand, but with glass frit. You can see it at Unity in Glass' website, though we refer local studios.

• MsFtoMrsR
    Devoted August 2016
    MsFtoMrsR ·

Thanks, @Shannon, @Ashley and @Celia - you've helped me to decide that we should probably avoid candles even though there may be no wind (we will be outdoors)!

Celia, I will look into the glass pouring idea. I agree that whichever ritual we choose should have some meaning to us. I know that the whole ceremony will be very meaningful to us- I can't wait!

• VeganWifey
    Super September 2016
    VeganWifey ·

We are choosing a whisky box ceremony and adding our vows in it

• MizzzCara
    Master June 2017
    MizzzCara ·

Ahh thanks guys! [ring warming ceremony]

• #mattsmrs18
    Super January 2018
    #mattsmrs18 ·

I'm planning on doing sand, and pouring it into a picture frame and actually displaying it. Candles would just get lost or broken with me lol.

EDIT

The unity in glass concept is so neat but DANG it's expensive!

• Kristina
    VIP August 2017
    Kristina ·

I am doing both the sand ceremony and a version of the ring warming.. instead of passing them around we are hanging them near the entrance with a sign explaining what to do.

• F
    Dedicated November 2016
    Farrah ·

What about a shell blessing? Where everyone throws a shell into the ocean it's a prayer blessing for the bride and groom

• Michele
    Expert November 2016
    Michele ·

We are doing the sand ceremony but are going to be pouring it into an hourglass. I do love the unity in glass, but it is definitely not in our budget!

• S
    Dedicated November 2016
    Stephanie ·

We are doing the sand, we found a perfume bottle with two doves as the topper, we took out the spray part, something made in france. It seemed like something worthy of displaying.

Comment on this discussion