We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Savannah
Just Said Yes September 2020

rsvp Reminders for new date

Savannah, on May 20, 2020 at 12:00 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 7
Saved Save
Hi! So we were supposed to get married on May 16, but postponed it to September 5 due to everything going on right now. We sent out change of date cards to inform all of our friends and family of the new date, and requested new RSVP’s to be made on our wedding website by July 20. We put all of this information on the back of the card, and forgot to put “see back for details” on the front. We have not received many RSVP’s yet, which is understandable due to the uncertainty of not knowing how things will be by then. However, I’m wondering if guests would think to turn the card over to see that we have requested everyone to re-RSVP on our wedding website? Or if we would need to send out reminder cards? I don’t want to spend more money on cards and postage, especially since the change of date cards were already an additional expense we didn’t plan on. Any advice on how to remind guests to RSVP when it gets closer to the July 20 due date?

7 Comments

• Nicole
    Rockstar November 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

I personally would wait until after the RSVP date to reach out to guests that did not RSVP. I think you're absolutely right that people are going to wait until closer to the event to let you know if they will be coming or not. When you do reach out, I'd simply call or text them to save on postage.

• Elizabeth
    Rockstar June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't worry about it yet just because no one is really making plans too far out right now. You'll probably get more responses closer to the date. I think more people will think to turn it over than not, and it's too early to start asking people. I agree with Nicole that you can just call or text; no need to send out cards.

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Which website are you using?

We had our guests RSVP through our wedding website and it allowed us to select a "reminder date" which sent a reminder text to all of our guests for us! It was super convenient and took a lot of stress off of us. We ended up only having to hunt down 2 households for their RSVPs.

• Kerin
    Rockstar February 2021
    Kerin ·
    • Flag

I would say wait until after your RSVP date has passed, then contact everyone personally, preferably by phone. Most caterers need the headcount by 3 weeks-ish before your wedding date to figure your final bill, as that is generally due a week or 2 before the wedding.

• Amy
    WeddingWire Administrator August 2013
    Amy ·
    • Flag

Hi Savannah,

I expect that most people would flip the card over without being told to do so, but it's possible that some did not. Mostly, I agree with the PP. Unfortunately, many people do not RSVP until the deadline. Even then, some will forget. That's true under normal circumstances, and things are far from the pre-pandemic version of normal right now. There's a lot going on!

You'll probably need to email or text (or FB message--whatever works!) a quick reminder to any guests who have not responded (or re-RSVPed) on/around the deadline in July.

Hope this helps!

• Kari
    VIP May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

Definitely don't worry about it right now. You can follow up with guests who have not RSVP'd starting July 21.

For our wedding we put the RSVP details on the back of the card and no "flip this card over" memo on the front, and a lot of people were able to figure it out.

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't worry about it. Most people would think to check the back. People probably aren't responding yet because they just don't know what the situation will be in September. My husband and I were invited to a wedding in August (we received a save the date months ago but not an invitation yet, so actually idk if they're even still having it) but I'm honestly relieved we haven't gotten the invitation yet because I would have no idea how to respond. I am hoping things will be improved enough for us to feel safe going in August, but I just don't know. Normally I'm super prompt with responding to invitations (like I'm the type to RSVP the day I get the invitation lol) but at this point in time I'd be cutting it as close as possible to the deadline before making a decision!

Just reach out after your deadline has passed to the people who havent responded.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles