Futuremrsm
Expert October 2020

Rsvp fun

Futuremrsm, on September 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved
So let me start by saying i am so grateful I am still able to have my wedding next month. That being said, we are struggling to meet our venues minimum guest count. The minimum is 135 and we are just barely scraping 100. I understand people saying they aren't coming because they are scared of attending a large event during a pandemic, but we have people that just haven't responded. Then I contact them to make sure they got the invite and they just say they got it with no response of if they're coming or not. At this point we are trying to contact extended family to see if they want to come because we have to pay for 135 regardless. My whole wedding planning process has just been stressful and sad

9 Comments

Latest activity by Talia, on September 28, 2020 at 2:40 PM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Is there a max gathering size COVID restriction in your area? If so, is that limit less than the minimum number required at your venue? You may be able to get your venue to lower their minimum if they legally cannot host as many people as they're requiring you to have. Otherwise, if your RSVP deadline has passed, I would reach out to the people who haven't responded yet to let them know that you need to submit a final count, and that you need a reply from them by [date], and if you don't hear from them, they will be counted as a decline.
  • Futuremrsm
    Expert October 2020
    Futuremrsm ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So in my state venues follow the same restrictions as restaurants so they are able to operate at 50% capacity at the moment. Our venue can hold up to 250 people...so technically we can only have 125. I have a call with the owner this weekend so I may bring it up to him if we don't meet the 135 by our RSVP deadline.
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That makes sense! I would definitely try to negotiate a lower minimum (or even no minimum), especially because it's during a pandemic. Venues should understand that many people are not comfortable attending a wedding or other event at this time, and guest counts will be lower than normal. I hope they're willing to work with you, since it seems that they're not legally allowed to host 135. Best of luck!
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

If you are going to have to pay for a number larger than is actually going to attend, you might try asking your venue if you can put the cost of those unneeded meals toward upgrades for the guests who are attending -- things like higher-level bar offerings, upgrading the entrée and/or appetizers, adding a late-night snack or additional dessert offerings, etc. Most venues have a dollar minimum you have to meet more than a guest minimum. Unfortunately, if it's in your contract you'll probably have to pay whatever amount you're committed to, but maybe you can make it feel less like you wasted money and more like you got to have an even better event than you originally planned for. Good luck! Smiley heart

• Jeni
    Devoted July 2021
    Jeni ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is excellent advice. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate and get those discounts and/or upgrades!
  • Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    When are your RSVPs due? Many people might wait until the last minute, unfortunately.
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

Definitely agree with the previous advice about upgrades. One of the venues we considered had a minimum guest count/spend, but mentioned that if we couldn't meet that guest count number, they'd find other ways to give us value for the money -- such as adding on a s'mores bar.

• Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    Definitely negotiate with you venue if you are unable to meet the minimum number
  • Talia
    Super October 2020
    Talia ·
    • Flag

Same boat as you in a way. I would just ask for upgrades for your cocktail hour or something extra. We invited 136 people and we're having 97 people. Our minimum was 150 people.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics