Allie
Just Said Yes October 2021

Requesting money instead of gifts, tacky or not?

Allie, on September 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved

Hi!

We have been living together for almost 5 years (6 at the time of the wedding) at this point and we have everything we need so we don't need gifts. Would it be tacky to request in lieu of gifts we would like help with the Honeymoon fund?

Edit: Thanks guys for all your answers! We will just not register for gifts as we do not need anything. We did not want to be uncouth but did not know what the best course of action would be for us. We have attended other weddings that have done the same and we didn't think twice about it. His Mother disagrees completely and thinks we would still have a registry.

14 Comments

Latest activity by MOB So Cal, on September 12, 2019 at 8:32 PM
  • Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Yes, it is tacky to ask. Just don't have a registry, your guests know that cash is a good gift.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    It’s tacky to ask for any gift, but especially money. Skip the registry and people will default to cash gifts.
  • Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

I agree that it would be in poor taste. As PPs said, not registering will give people the hint you'd rather have cash!

• Allie
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for the response! I didn't want to be uncouth and was unsure of proper procedure in a case like this.
  • T
    Dedicated September 2019
    Teresa ·
    • Flag

I don't think you should say that you want money. You can definitely setup some kind of honeymoon fund which encourages people to give money instead of buying something.

But in the end, people really just do what they want.

I just received a vase from a relative that I didn't ask for nor do I need but that's what I got lol!

• Allie
    Allie ·
    • Flag

We wouldn't come out and say "gimme your money" of course! We were planning on just wording it in a way that states we do not have a registry but will be open to receiving money towards the honeymoon. We will just forgo the idea completely and just not register. Smiley smile Thanks everyone.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I just wouldn't register & skip a shower of any kind. Guests will get the hint and gift cash!

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    So typically no registry information or mention of gifts of any kind goes on the wedding invitation. If you want to create a honeymoon fund it can go on your wedding website or be spread by word of mouth.
  • Allie
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You're welcome! You can search Honeymoon Fund in the forums and get a good idea about how most people feel about them. They are becoming more popular but it is a know your crowd thing.

• N
    Dedicated July 2020
    N ·
    • Flag
    Totally off topic—but How did you “edit” your OP? I can’t figure out and I didn’t think WW let you edit or remove posts...but you seem to have added to yours so I’m curious how to do that!

• Lily
    Savvy January 2020
    Lily ·
    • Flag

Sign up for HONEYFUND that way is a registry but for money. Not tacky at all to ask for money as a gift. It is your family and friends that are going to your wedding.
    honeyfund.svg

• Allie
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You can only do it on a computer from what I'm aware of.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Depending on your guest list, Yes, this could be perceived as VERY tacky. If you don't want physical gifts then don't register, and leave guests to decide for themselves what, if anything, to give. There is no polite way to say, "we want money!" Potentially, the guests most likely to be offended by a direct request (older, more traditional) are also those most likely to give a gift of higher monetary value. Probably not a good idea to offend them....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics