We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Amy
Expert May 2022

Rental Property Wedding

Amy, on July 15, 2020 at 2:27 PM Posted in Planning 0 10
Saved Save
Rental Property Wedding 1
Rental Property Wedding 2
Hey y'all! Did anyone have an Airbnb wedding before this whole pandemic fiasco? (Or are planning to in the next two years like I am) I understand the conversations and contracts that need to be made with the owners, but my questions are more central towards the actual planning, logistics, and if the costs are worth it.

Our Details: semi-destination wedding in New Orleans at an estate (deciding between a few but need to visit), max 50 guests for wedding, max 20 sleeping at property, renting for 5 days. Also I'm a DIY/Budget bride and well acquainted with planning large events.
These are our top 2 choice venues.
THANKS!

10 Comments

• Margaret
    VIP October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

One of the main costs will probably be insurance when planning a wedding at an Airbnb. Additionally, unless you can find a "one stop shop" the costs are on a per basis.

When we looked into it for a 20 person wedding in the Keys at a 5 bedroom home was going to cost over 15K. And that was just a weekend rental did not include everything.

• Amy
    Expert May 2022
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    Hi Margaret, thanks for your input. Did you end up choosing a rental property for your wedding?
    I will have to look into insurance costs. Our top 2 venues host weddings a handful of times a year. That being said they are practical for weddings and would not need much setup. We are also keeping things like decorations, food, and the bar simple. My favorite choice venue is the 1st picture which is $6k for 5 days, 20 ppl sleeping.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag

I think both properties are very pretty. I had thought Airbnb had restricted large events like weddings, but I could be wrong. I would definitely speak with the owners like you mentioned. The number one concern for me would be neighbors. They might not like the noise or cars that a wedding would bring with it. I saw one bride post on here a few weeks ago that she had her wedding at her home and the neighbors called the cops because guests were parking in front of their house and they came home and couldn't park. Guests were asked to move their vehicles and couldn't find a different place to park so they just left.

• Amy
    Expert May 2022
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our wedding isn't until 2022 so hopefully restrictions will be lessened by then. I have always wanted a tiny wedding and my fiance said the same, but he keeps adding folks to the list lol. My cap is 50 but everyone is out of state so I expect less. That's a terrible situation... I guess this makes me like venue #1 even more because there aren't any neighbors close by. Great point!
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen Online ·
    • Flag
    I think sir bnb became a no party house not because of Covid but bc of a murder that happened resulting from a party on California in 2018. I reached out to an air bnb in the early stages of my planning just to do an intimate ceremony but no dinner or reception and the person laid that but a reception I dunno. You would need to just ask the owners if they're OK w that.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I believe they restricted it because of a house party where five people died as a result of a shooting not because of Covid.

• Megan
    Expert October 2020
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    We looked into an air bnb in our initial venue search. One of the issues we ran into was the home only had two restrooms and one was upstairs. We had a 100 person guest count and they would only let us rent if we had brought a restroom trailer or porta potties which I was not about to have at my wedding. 50 people should be okay with whatever facilities were there. We also found one that agreed to a wedding but the neighborhood hoa had no street parking so we would have had to shuttle our guests from a local park to the house. We opted for a state park venue. It’s defiantly doable if you have the right house and the owners are willing but there are some logistics you have to make sure of.
  • Amy
    Expert May 2022
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh my.. that's so terrible and sad.
  • Amy
    Expert May 2022
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's a great point about the bathrooms. Turns out ar our #1 choice there are 5 total bathrooms, 2 on the main level. The property is large so there aren't neighbors nearby. I'll have to ask about hoa restrictions. Thanks
  • L
    Beginner August 2020
    Laurissa ·
    • Flag

We're doing ours at an AirBNB. Most hosts don't allow parties so you'll need to contact them ahead of time. Many will have an extra event fee on top of the normal rental fee. Bonus is that the housing (for some guests) is already taken care of! If you have a large amount of people some places will require you to rent restrooms (to avoid the 2 bathrooms for 100 people issue!).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles