We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

L
Beginner August 2020

Relief

Lee, on July 2, 2020 at 2:20 PM Posted in Community Conversations 1 8
Saved Save

We decided to postpone our large Massachusetts wedding in August weeks ago, but it has been weighing heavily on our minds that we made the wrong choice as things are starting to improve here. Well today, the Governor announced that weddings would not be allowed to have bars or dance floors. In addition, indoor gatherings will be limited to 25 people at a maximum. These limitations will be in place until a vaccine or better treatment is available.

Hearing this was a huge relief for us as it supports our decision to postpone. BUT now I am worried that our new date in 2021 is now in question too.

I guess the relief is only temporary....

8 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I honestly think you made the right choice of postponing it even if things were better by August.

• Jess
    Dedicated May 2021
    Jess ·
    • Flag

You made the right choice. I had the same feeling of regret a few days ago.. We postponed our wedding in September and our gov (VA) just announced that we are about to move into phase 3, which means that gatherings of over 250 people will be permitted. But the more I thought about it, just because it's "allowed" doesn't mean people will be comfortable attending until there is a vaccine. We have friends that are still going on with their August wedding and we will not be attending.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

Sounds like postponing early was definitely a good call! I'm glad you feel some relief and confirmation of your decision! Smiley heart

When in 2021 is your rescheduled wedding date?

• Amanda
    Dedicated June 2021
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    I’m in MA too, have already postponed once to August and now seriously considering to postpone again. That is also my biggest fear! I have a date for next June but if theirs no vaccine I’ll be right back here?! It’s insanity and I think he’s being a little unfair. Putting nightclubs packed with strangers versus a dance floor with family is different in my opinion.
  • Sarah
    Savvy May 2021
    Sarah Online ·
    • Flag

I'm in Ma as well, we are just trying to set our 1st date, and I wanted September 2021, however many dates are taken, so was looking doing at late May or June 2021. I keep debating with myself if we should just push out to 2022, but really will kick myself if things are improved by 2021. I have decided to shoot for 2021, keeping an eye on the vaccine development & once we get closer or have a better idea making the decision to reschedule out or not. Covid has taken so much, and changed our lives so drastically; I feel we only know what the current circumstances are and can't let it continue to instill havoc in our lives, when we don't know what the future will bring.

I also think the comparison of night clubs with strangers to a dance floor with family/friends is absurd. I mean at least let us dance 6 feet apart across the room if that's the way it needs to be! This would be much lower risk than 90% of the things we are allowed to do.

The way some things are being carried out is ridiculous! I am a healthcare provider, who has been routinely exposed to Covid, however am told by my place of work that I an exempt from needing a 14 day quarantine after exposures; I am expected to continue to work & self monitor for symptoms, and then if I happen to develop symptoms is when I will be tested (after I've already had the opportunity to expose my family/coworkers/patients).

• Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    I'm in a similar place. We also postponed our Massachusetts August wedding a while ago, right after the original reopening guidelines were released.

We rescheduled our reception to July of next year, but we're still getting married in a small wedding this year; that has helped make the ups and downs of covid and the related restrictions feel less crushing. I don't know what we'll do if we can't include everyone after already sending them two save the dates. Postpone again? Have two smaller receptions? It also isn't clear whether phase 4 will start when a vaccine is available, or when most people have received it, but I'm guessing it's not the former.
    Does your venue have any outdoor space? "Enclosed outdoor spaces" are allowed to have 100 people, which even if it's not your whole guest list might be more appealing than being engaged for ANOTHER year. One idea I had when we were thinking about social distancing but before we knew the scope of this whole thing was to have passed drinks instead of a bar to avoid lines.
  • Emily
    Devoted September 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, VA as well. We're September and currently trying to push forward. Cut our invite list from 150 to 100 and mandating masks from staff and guests (and us.) Unfortunately, we only have indoor space so I'm still going back and forth.
    I'm glad you're feeling better on postponing, and hopefully everyone can start to focus and we'll help reduce exposures day by day.
  • Amanda
    Dedicated June 2021
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Omg thank you!!! I don’t understand how he can say a night club packed with strangers is the same as family and friends. Why can’t families dance just with their families 6 feet apart. My venue has also told me yesterday my fiancé and I can’t even share just our first dance together... we live together!! It’s just absurd. They also told me we might have to wear masks to say our vows, at this point I have already postponed once and I might just say forget it and do it again. Come next year if we’re still like this I’m just going to elope. We have been waiting 3 years to be married and it seems like this is never ending in MA.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇