Samantha
Expert December 2021

Rehearsal Dinner & Welcome Dinner?

Samantha, on October 15, 2021 at 9:57 AM Posted in Planning 0 12
Saved
With the exception of 2 guests, all of our guests will be coming in from out of state. Should we host a welcome dinner in conjunction to an informal rehearsal dinner also? Our wedding is very laid back, no bridal party besides MOH and best man, open bar, and a great menu. Would it be rude to not meet with guests before the wedding or am I overthinking this?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Elise, on October 19, 2021 at 1:44 PM
  • Ginny
    Beginner October 2021
    Ginny ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think it’s necessary, but even if you invited people to meet at a brewery after the rehearsal dinner, it might be nice. If it’s not in the budget to pick up drinks, just make that known.
  • Samantha
    Expert December 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for the advice! Smiley smile
  • Cool
    Super July 2020
    Cool ·
    • Flag
    It isn’t necessary, but it is a generous gesture that most guests appreciate after traveling. Even if it’s very casual, I think it’s nice to do.
  • Samantha
    Expert December 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Would it be rude to invite them but not pay for anything? We're paying for everything ourselves and can't swing a full dinner in addition to wedding stuff.
  • Cool
    Super July 2020
    Cool ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would not invite them to anything you aren’t planning on hosting/paying for.
  • Samantha
    Expert December 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for this, I appreciate it! Smiley smile
  • Cool
    Super July 2020
    Cool ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No problem!
  • Pat
    Dedicated May 2023
    Pat ·
    • Flag

We will also have a majority of out-of-state guests for our wedding. We have a favorite Italian restaurant that has excellent homemade pizza! Soooo ... that is our welcome event the night before. Those who want something different will have tons of other restaurant options to choose from, but at least we are offering something they won't need to pay for and won't break our budget. We will NOT be paying for alcoholic drinks, just the soft kind.

• Samantha
    Devoted August 2022
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is exactly what we were going to do! When the wedding was going to be at home, we were going to have a chill homemade welcome dinner (manicotti, salad, garlic bread, etc) and a bunch of wine, or go to a local brewery in one of their smaller spaces. Now that we're having a destination wedding, I had to reserve a place for the Friday night diner - but we're calling it the welcome dinner and having it after the rehearsal.

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle Online ·
    • Flag
    A welcome party is optional and it’s not rude to skip it. If you have a welcome party for traveling guests, you skip the rehearsal dinner but those involved in the rehearsal are still invited. Both events are often casual to balance out the more formal reception the next day.
  • Lindsey
    Dedicated October 2021
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    That sounds exactly like my style wedding too! We are using our venue Friday night for a welcome BBQ and having beer and wine only. I wanted to do a byob so we would have a fun mix but my MIL said no lol. Just bbq, beer, yard games and more time to visit. We only have 56 guests coming
  • E
    Dedicated October 2021
    Elise ·
    • Flag
    We met up with guests at a local bar/venue that is kinda famous and guests LOvED it!! Many had wanted to go there some day, and so it was a cool experience, plus beers there are very cheap so we didn’t feel bad for making everyone pay for their own drinks. From the your experience as well, it was really nice to see so many people multiple times during the weekend. I can honestly say my husband and I had genuine 1:1 conversations with every single guest at some point during the weekend - which is awesome! Out of state guests will likely need to come into town on Friday, so they will be paying for drinks regardless of if it is with you or not…

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics