We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Alyssa
Beginner June 2021

Rehearsal Dinner Venue Cancelled on Us

Alyssa, on March 20, 2020 at 8:12 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 12
Saved Save

My future mother in law called me yesterday to let me know that our rehearsal dinner venue cancelled on us. Our wedding is June 14, and rehearsal dinner (lunch, actually) is June 13. They didn't even cancel because of the coronavirus situation. They cancelled because their chef is leaving them (it's a restaurant), and they're going to close down completely, remodel, and turn into an event venue. So they won't be open for our date. So now I have no rehearsal dinner venue, and I'm not sure I'll even be able to get one now, since no restaurants really know when they will get to open again with this pandemic. Thinking I might need to just do it at somebody's house.... except the houses we can host at are 45+ minutes away from the wedding venue, which just makes things complicated in terms of traveling back and forth. Any advice??

Also, just want to send my love and virtual hugs to all of the march, april, and may brides that have to postpone/cancel/change their wedding plans. I am so sorry Smiley heart

12 Comments

Latest activity by Alyssa, on March 24, 2020 at 7:27 PM
  • Katie
    Devoted March 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I would still consider reaching out to a couple other potential restaurants. You're so right that we really don't know what is going to happen in the coming months, but they should still be able to provide you with their standard lunch/drink/space packages and pricing info for you to look at. This would give you a head start when the restaurants do open back up that you could get in and make the reservation!

If you've made/are making a hotel block for guests that will be near your venue, another option could be to reach out to the hotel and see what they could accommodate at their hotel restaurant/bar area. Again, due to current guidelines, they may be leery of a group of 20+ people making a reservation, but with a little communication and compassion for the situation, explaining that you're trying to plan in advance, you should still be able to get some pricing info Smiley smile

Good luck!!!

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I know it's hard to plan with restaurants right now. But I did speak with the restaurant hosting my bridal shower this week. They think that will be open before June. Many places are still doing carry out so maybe try contacting them and getting information in regards to pricing. Things will get better.

• Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    I would like to wholeheartedly encourage you to try to book with a local restaurant. Local businesses are going to be hurting and could use your patronage. Shoot em a message via facebook.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Agreed!! I think everyone understands that even if future plans are uncertain right now, we all still need to make some type of plan b for personal sanity! I'm sure there are local restaurants that will absolutely be flexible and appreciate your patronage!! Smiley heart

• Kate
    Expert October 2020
    Kate ·
    • Flag

Have you considered doing it at a hotel in the area? Sometimes hotels have their own restaurants and or catering companies. If not, they may allow you to rent out their conference room with chairs & tables and you could bring in catering!

• Alyssa
    Beginner June 2021
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's a good idea! The hotels in the area are pretty small, it's not a "happening" place lol. But worth a shot to check!

• Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Local restaurants may also be more willing to plan something with you if you tell them that you'll still order from them even if you can't eat at the restaurant and end up having to do take out. In a place that's not very "happening," the local hotels may not have a full restaurant, but they probably at least have a conference room (or worst case scenario, maybe a large suite?) where you all could eat together with food from somewhere else.
  • Alyssa
    Beginner June 2021
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a great point!! i’ve found a couple of nearby restaurants to reach out to so hopefully we can make something work, even if just ordering their food takeout/catering
  • Heather
    Expert April 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    Not much advice. This is just a super unfortunate year for everyone. If it makes you feel any better, I had a friend who booked their hotel AND rehearsal dinner 50 minutes away from the venue. Even though there were closer hotels and restaurants. 🤷‍♀️
  • Jacqueline
    Savvy June 2020
    Jacqueline ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Many small hotels even have banquet rooms you can rent and bring in your own food. I would think you might get a good deal during this time of uncertainty!

• Nina
    Just Said Yes January 2021
    Nina ·
    • Flag

We went to a really fun, lowkey, rehearsal dinner at a clubhouse in a park. They ordered in pizzas and salad. There were beer and wine to be had. It was a great time!

• Alyssa
    Beginner June 2021
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a great idea!!! ill have to see if there’s any parks nearby the venue!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles