Bethanne
Just Said Yes November 2020

Rehearsal Dinner Speaches

Bethanne, on December 13, 2019 at 6:13 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Saved Save
The grooms parents are not hosting the rehearsal dinner and as a result my brother and sisters have stepped up to pay for the dinner. Should the grooms parents still give the welcome toast? I feel like it’s weird bc they aren’t hosting the dinner but the groom got upset when I said that.

8 Comments

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    The only person that gave a "speech" at our rehearsal dinner was my brother. He read from my husband's grandparent's Bible. He read love is patient love is kind. He followed it up with a pray. My husband's dad didn't even attend rehearsal. My mother-in-law attended rehearsal and paid for it, but she didn't do any kind of speech at the rehearsal or wedding. I think it is a personal choice on who if anybody gives a speech at your rehearsal or wedding.
  • Sarah
    VIP September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think who gives the welcome toast has to be who paid for the dinner. Every rehearsal I’ve been to in the last 5 years has been paid for by the couple getting married and almost always a toast/speech has been done by one or both sets of parents.
  • Emily
    Super April 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I agree, I think it should be whoever the host is, the person/people who paid for it. Or if you’re not comfortable, you could give the welcome speech.
  • Rhianna
    Devoted April 2020
    Rhianna ·
    • Flag
    We're opening up the rehearsal dinner for anyone who wants to give speeches bc we are limiting speeches during the reception.

As far as welcome speech, I would say whoever is hosting should give it, but as another poster mentioned you could give the welcome speech and then open the floor to anyone who wants to say something.
  • A
    Devoted May 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

Welcome speech should come from the host, but anyone can give a toast/speech after that!

• Melle
    Champion June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I don't think we did speeches at mine. They're not really necessary but I think it's nice of you or your partner to say some nice words
  • L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

My FIL gave a short toast because he was hosting the dinner. Whoever is hosting the dinner should be the only ones giving toasts (IMO).

• T
    Devoted May 2010
    Theresa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with Alex. Whoever is paying, and therefor hosting, should give the Welcome speech. After that, anyone else can chime in!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics