We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Marcia
Devoted March 2021

Red Dress Etiquette

Marcia, on August 3, 2020 at 9:48 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 29
Saved Save
The controversy of guests wearing red to a wedding came up on a different post. I had never heard about a rule against guests wearing red, so I googled it and got conflicting advice--some said "absolutely not," others said the ban on red for guests is an old-fashioned rule. WW community always gives straight-talk on etiquette, so I'm wondering, what do you think?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Judith, on August 5, 2020 at 2:04 PM
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag

I personally wouldn't wear red to a wedding. But when I say red I mean a bright red, not all shades of red. I think burgundy, maroon, etc is fine but I definitely wouldn't do anything bright red.

• Breanna
    Devoted September 2020
    Breanna ·
    • Flag
    I agree with PP. I would definitely not wear a bright red dress to a wedding as it can be very distracting and take away from the bride's dress. Especially if this person may be in any family photos. My eyes tend to go for the brighter colors so wearing red would definitely make someone stand out more. Any deeper red would be fine.
  • Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag

I think it depends on bride's preferences. If you're the bride, would it bother you? If you are wanting to wear a red dress to someone else's wedding, ask the bride what she thinks.

Personally I'm on the fence. Red (especially a fire engine, all red kind of dress) can be very attention getting, and I can see it being over the top and seen as rude or trying to take attention from the bride. If it's more just touches of red in a dress with other colors, I don't think that matters at all. All that being said, the bride is the one getting married and I don't think it would be that easy to distract from the bride. I would probably lean more towards wear what makes you happy, than being upset with anyone for wearing any certain color.

• Marcia
    Devoted March 2021
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm definitely the wrong bride to ask because it wouldn't bother me what anyone wore. As long as I get to pick my dress, I don't care. If a guest feels comfortable in a gold sequined dress with a gold crown, by all means, wear it! If a gal feels fire in a red power color, I'd be all about it. But I know not everyone shares this view, especially when it comes to pictures
  • Michelle
    Expert May 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree, I could care less if someone wore red. I would care if someone wore white/ivory. I have never heard of this rule before. I love bright colours so bring it lol ☺️ But noted for weddings I attend in the future lol

• Mindy
    Super November 2020
    Mindy ·
    • Flag
    I think it also depends on the cultural component of the wedding as well. I’m by no means an expert, but in some cultures, I believe red is the wedding color.
  • Chelsea G
    Devoted March 2021
    Chelsea G ·
    • Flag

Like other PP said I could care less if they wore red and would be more concerned if they wore white or ivory. A red dress is not going to take the spotlight off the bride (unless the bride is wearing red) and if that's the case then wouldn't you also be concerned about hot pink, bright yellow, etc? But that's just me.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I think it’s cause a super bright fire engine red or anything really neon or loud is distracting but I wouldn’t actively say that though to guests
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    As a bride, someone could have shown up at my wedding dress and I wouldn’t have cared, so I really couldn’t care less about red. As a matter of fact, I can think of two guests off the top of my head who did wear red. Never thought twice about it. I personally wouldn’t wear a bright red dress to a wedding, but I don’t think that it takes away from the bride.
  • T
    Devoted April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

In China/Chinese weddings, red is the color of the wedding dress, so don't do that.

As far as any other weddings, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Fire engine red I personally would stay away from as it's a very loud color, as well as anything neon, etc. But I don't think I'd be upset if someone wore a red dress.

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    Red was one of our wedding colors. Several of our guests wore red and I really didn't care. All I care was that they didn't show up in jeans, t-shirts or shorts. I also saw what post your referencing and she mentioned floral prints as well. I also don't see a problem with floral prints.
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I had never heard of this until WW. So, it didn't/doesn't bother me.

• L
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I've never heard of this before either. I myself wouldn't wear red because I personally try to avoid loud colors or colors that draw attention to me, but I don't think I'd care if someone else wore red. I'd be more concerned if someone wore white or ivory.
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    A guest wore red to my wedding, it didn’t bother me at all. She didn’t take any attention away from me in the slightest.
  • Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

I would never think red at a wedding would be a problem. But, at my FSIL wedding, there was a woman in a bright red like evening gown dress, totally look like she was going to a pageant or something and did seem like she was trying to take away from the bride. It was just way over the top, so I wouldn't go that far lol

• Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2021
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I have never heard of this before! Now I am thinking back to all the weddings I’ve been to throughout the years, trying to remember if I have worn a red dress to a wedding before! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Personally, I wouldn’t care either way what people wore. I have been very adamant on no dress code for our wedding – I want everybody to wear whatever they feel comfortable in. Whether that be a bright red dress, a ball gown, ripped jeans and a T-shirt, or a little string bikini! Lol
  • Kimistar
    Savvy March 2021
    Kimistar ·
    • Flag
    I never heard that wearing red was bad etiquette until WW too. I personally don’t have an issue with people wearing red and don’t think it’ll take the attention away from the bride. It’s just another dress in another color (as long as it fits the formality).
    In Chinese weddings, the bride wears red but she may not be the only one. It’s common color for the bride to dress her bridesmaids in too (usually reds or pinks). Parents of the couple too. But the bride will still stand out as she’ll be the one with gold embroidery and beading on the dress, gold jewelry, and gold headpiece or hair accessories. So red is welcomed in Chinese weddings, although you may be mistaken for a bridesmaid or family member.
  • Jana
    Rockstar October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    There is no etiquette for or against wearing a red dress. Some people mistranslate not liking something as it violating etiquette and running with the idea.

In some cultures it's a traditional color for the bride to wear since it represents love. But there's no rule that she's the only one to wear it.
    Some women feel that it detracts attention from them but that isn't a breach of etiquette. Prior to Queen Victoria in the late 1800, a bride wore any color and couldn't afford white so there were likely a few red dresses among the crowd.
  • Sarah
    Dedicated May 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I've never even heard of this before, and now I'm wondering if I have to apologize for wearing a red outfit to last wedding I went to, lol. As a bride I wouldn't mind in the slightest!

• Katie
    Expert August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I never heard of this rule before. I only ever heard of not wearing black or white to a wedding. I wore a red dress to me cousins wedding last year. Nobody said anything about it and nobody gave me dirty looks or anything.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles