Trisha
Super October 2020

Receiving Line

Trisha, on March 26, 2020 at 11:50 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 12
Saved

Is Everyone Doing A Receiving Line? Anyone Not Doing One? I Had No idea What It Was until I Googled It Lol I Don't Think That Would Fit Into Our Wedding, Will Probably Go To Each Table.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Angel, on April 1, 2020 at 2:06 PM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I didn’t do one but in my culture we do entrance photos! So it’s sort of the same concept. An entrance photo is where after people sign in we stand by a backdrop or something nice and we greet guests and take a photo with them that they get later in the night inside a thank you folder. I didn’t want to do this because it meant standing for an hour or hour an a half for people to come but I had such a big wedding that I kind of realized that was a nice chance for me to get a photo with everyone and to just at least get to quickly greet and chat with people because later in the night I wouldn’t get another chance
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    We won’t be doing one. But, we are having a smaller destination wedding, so I don’t think it’s really necessary, as we will have plenty of time to interact with all our guests. I think they are a great idea for large weddings though – they give the bride and groom the opportunity to make sure they thank every person for coming, so you don’t have to worry about trying to get to everybody during your reception.
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    We had a smaller wedding so we didn’t do one but I’ve been to many larger weddings lately that also haven’t done them. It’s your choice.
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    We're doing the thing where you come back in after the recessional and greet every row as you dismiss them. That way our guests can stay seated until it's time to go, and we will have a little more control over the timing.
  • Monica
    VIP October 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    Thats a nice idea. So that means you are present when the reception first starts, when do you make time for pics with FH and immediate family.
  • Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag

Not planning too. We're going to open the buffett, eat our food and then make rounds of the tables while everyone else is eating until it's time for the toasts.

• Kate
    Expert October 2020
    Kate ·
    • Flag

No receiving line for us, we feel like it's such an outdated tradition. We will go around to everyone's tables, after speeches & first dances but before dinner to briefly say hello, take any photos and then move onto the next. Everyone will have a plated salad & bread at their table so they're not starving lol. Once we visit the few first tables, dinner will begin to be served.

• V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag

We did a receiving line. My husband and I, my parents, and his parents were in the line. His parents are divorced and his father is engaged, but his fiancee wasn't part of the receiving line as we barely know her. His dad also isn't a people person so after a few minutes he walked away. Originally, our bridal party was supposed to be in the receiving line as well. We realized during our rehearsal that the lobby of the hotel (our venue) wasn't big enough for them to be in the receiving line where we needed the line to start. We also walked around to each table after we finished our food (we were served first and finished before everyone else). We wanted to talk with our guests as much as possible.

• Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

We're not doing one. They seem very old-fashioned to me.

• Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t do one. We went around to tables after we ate while people were eating. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to go around to everyone (we had over 200 guests), and I wished we could’ve!
  • Anna
    VIP October 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

I've only been to one wedding where I've seen this. I actually really liked it but I'm not sure yet if I'll be doing it or not. The one I attended, they had the ceremony outdoors at the bride's uncle's house, the couple then waited near the house to receive/greet everyone as the guests exited and headed to cars. In a way it spaced the guests out a bit so they weren't in a rush out of the parking area (which was a field). It also allowed the couple to thank guests who may not be going to the reception which was at another location.

• Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

We are not doing one! We also plan to go to each table after everyone's received their food and before the speeches.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics