V
Savvy April 2021

Queer Female Couples- Wedding Dress

Victoria, on March 13, 2021 at 3:28 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 12
Saved Save
Alright so I’m curious. Did any female LGBT couples go wedding dress shopping together? While we’re at it, are you having a first look or seeing each other at the altar?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Day, on March 17, 2021 at 12:15 AM
  • Claire
    Beginner July 2022
    Claire ·
    • Flag
    Hi there!

I am not a member of an LGBT couple so I can’t share first hand thoughts. But I wanted to share that I saw an episode of say yes to the dress ( the England version I think) and the female LGBT couple did go dress shopping together. They wanted to see how the two dresses they chose went together. But I have also seen another episode where the couple shopped together and made sure there were 2 or 3 in the running but didn’t let the other see/know the final choice. That way they still both got to enjoy the surprise.
    I think either is a great choice and totally up to you as a couple.
    I’m cis woman in a relationship with a cis man and we chose not to do first look. We wanted that surprise aisle moment. But I have seen amazing first look photos and it can help ease your wedding timeline to take pictures ahead of the ceremony.
    Good luck and congrats!
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Hi! Not a member but my daughter is gay & just got married. She went shopping without her fiancé & took her brother & 1 of her best friends. I live 2.5 hours away & couldn’t go but she FaceTime’d me. I went with her fiancé to get her dress- the other mom refused to go & didn’t even come to the wedding. They didn’t show each their dresses & didn’t do a first look. It was absolutely beautiful! The look on their faces when they seen each other the first time was priceless! This is 1 of my favorite pics- my daughter is in the ivory dress!Queer Female Couples- Wedding Dress 1

• Day
    Devoted July 2021
    Day ·
    • Flag
    Lesbian couple here! I actually bought two different dresses online (StillWhite and Poshmark for less than $75 each) based on the style I wanted. I tried them on at home with just my fiancé, and we have since settled on the white wedding dress from StillWhite because it really made me feel and look like a bride. Since we’re eloping beachside, we will more than likely be getting ready together and walking down to the beach together. I guess you can say that we like to involve each other constantly and have no issues with all these superstitions and traditions.
  • A
    Dedicated March 2021
    Annika ·
    • Flag
    Not a member of the community but I just wanted to say that I did a first look with my husband and his reaction was priceless. Thankfully I have it on video and I would always do it again that way.
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    I'm not a member, but my SIL is getting married (well, they got legally Covid married in their backyard in casual clothes, but pushed the big reception). Her wife sent a photo of her dress to MOH, and when we went dress shopping for SIL, we just said whether the dresses coordinate because that's what they wanted-not see them before the day but have them coordinate. They were thinking about walking down the aisle together for the ceremony, so I think they're planning a 1st look.
  • Jennifer
    Beginner October 2021
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    We did not go shopping together, but we did buy our dresses at the same place. I bought mine first and my fiancée’s consultant looked up what dress I bought so she knew whether or not they would coordinate and look good next to one another and in pictures. Not conflicting colors, designs, etc. Also so we wouldn’t pick the same dress! We will not be seeing each other’s dresses until the wedding day.

We are doing a first look but that’s mainly because we want to enjoy cocktail hour and get some of the photos done prior to the ceremony.
  • Jai
    Rockstar May 2020
    Jai ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Aww congrats to your daughter! She looks very happy. Both of their dresses look great 👍I like her boots
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    I've seen couples do this and others go separately
  • V
    Savvy April 2021
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awwww I love this picture! Congratulations to you and your family!
  • V
    Savvy April 2021
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi. No I totally get it. We’re already breaking tradition by marrying a female, what’s seeing the dress going to do? My fiancée and I have a pretty good idea of what we’re each wearing. Idk I just find it hard not to talk to my best friend but our biggest day
  • V
    Savvy April 2021
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We’re going to be having a first look as well. We weren’t able to get our outfits at the same place so I’m hoping that it’ll all kinda just come together.
  • Day
    Devoted July 2021
    Day ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What I've honestly learned through this whole process has been to do what makes us happy. I had lavish ideas of what I wanted for a wedding... and it was ridiculously traditional. I think COVID gave us a new perspective on life, so we changed it up. We're eloping very soon! ... and the planning has been simplified! Honestly, just go with your gut.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics