We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Heidi
Beginner February 2022

Postponing to July 2021 in California

Heidi, on December 21, 2020 at 3:58 PM Posted in California Planning 2 18
Saved Save
Hi! I have a feeling that covid-19 and vaccinations will rollout into the end of 2021. Right now I’m tentatively planning to postpone to July 2021. Our venue requires a minimum amount to pay for catering and bar services. I am nervous about last minute cancellations due to possible exposures. Also, I anticipate older guests will not want to attend along with the people that live with them. I’m worried I won’t have enough guests attending and I will still have to pay the minimum. My venue will give me the option to downsize the guest count only if it’s covid-19 related when we are closer to the wedding date. I’m wondering if to stay with our venue or just cancel and elope? Has anyone gone through these obstacles with guest count? What factors weighed out moving forward with postponing the date to next year? Let me know your thoughts.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Martha, on February 16, 2021 at 9:12 PM
  • CountryBride
    Expert April 2022
    CountryBride Online ·
    • Flag

Well In my opinion what if you postponed to 2022? it sucks waiting but so worth it for peace of mind

• Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Only you can decide what to do. I took the route pf canceling and opting for an elopement
  • M
    Savvy November 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    Hello!! COVID California bride here! I know the restrictions are overwhelming especially in the middle of a shutdown order. Is your venue outdoors or indoors? We had an outdoor venue last month and we still downsized our guest list. We originally had 180 planned (I have a huge family) and downsized to about 85 with just under 70 showing up to the big day. I actually consider the downsizing to have been a blessing in disguise because even with under 70 guests, it was super hard to see everyone! (We had a time constraint as a restriction due to no reception). Our venue and coordinator were great at helping us navigate all the restrictions but walk away with a beautiful day with beautiful memories. If you and your fiancé still want the big day with all the bells and whistles, I say keep pushing forward!! You got this!! If an elopement sounds more your style, do that!! It’s totally up to you two with how the day turns out. Best of luck! (Feel free to reach out, California has so many restrictions!!) 💕
  • Heidi
    Beginner February 2022
    Heidi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My venue is in Santa Clarita and they have a lot of restrictions. The ceremony is supposed to be outdoors and reception is indoors. I wouldn't mind downsizing however the venue won't allow us to do so unless it's covid related and closer to the wedding date. Depending on how Covid-19 is going I'd have to invite guests last minute which would be fine for locals but not so great for out of town guests. Also, SCV in July the weather is in the 90s. It would be wayyy hot outside for an outdoor wedding. The pergola on the venue's patio restricts them from putting up a tent. I feel stuck with either scenario I play out. I could wait for 2022 but was hoping to start a family. The next step would be to find a venue that accommodates smaller weddings. I just feel like I'm starting over with the planning and starting to get burnt out planning a Plan A, B and C.

• M
    Savvy November 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I totally get getting burned out from all of the backup plans. I cannot stress enough how amazing our wedding coordinator was. She was worth every penny. We had started with her as a day of coordinator and we had someone else designing the event for us but the event design vendor backed out three weeks prior to the wedding. Our day of coordinator took over for an additional fee and we wish we had paid for her full coordination package from the beginning. We were grieving a death in the family at the same time and the coordinator made our vision come to life and all we had to do was wait and pay. If you can find it in your budget, so worth it!!
  • A
    Super September 2020
    Alli ·
    • Flag
    Did you mean July 2022? This summer will be nothing close to normal, sadly. However, if it’s small and outdoors, I’m sure the restrictions won’t be as terrible. Best wishes!
  • Heidi
    Beginner February 2022
    Heidi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would love to hire my day of coordinator for a full wedding package but unfortunately I cannot go over budget. I’m still considering it if I my circumstances change.
  • Laquita
    Expert July 2021
    Laquita ·
    • Flag

July 2021 Bride in California here (getting married in Long Beach)

We're still pushing forward with our plans & will adjust accordingly if needed. We've already discussed a plan b & c if the governor doesn't ease restrictions by then (we're praying daily for us to be able to at least hold our wedding). I'm trying not to think about it too much because then it'll stress me out & it's useless stressing over something I have no control over.

• Heidi
    Beginner February 2022
    Heidi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s hard to plan with all the uncertainty. By July there might be less restrictions so I have a feeling downsizing is the way to go for me. However, now I have to figure out a new venue that will accommodate a smaller wedding that won’t be out of my budget. Most packages from venues in California for 50 person guest count seemed high.
  • Laquita
    Expert July 2021
    Laquita ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Finding a smaller venue that's budget friendly is a task out here, our venue was the only place we were allowed to look at in person so we went with it.
    Our guest is list is under 80, but we can cut it down if needed although out venue had a 60 person minimum to book.
  • M
    Savvy November 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Does she have an unofficial in between option? We ended up paying for day of and then some additional billed hours. It was definitely more in line with our budget than her full coordination package but was something we had to ask for.
  • Jessica
    Beginner July 2022
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    Hey there! We were going to get married 7/11/20 and postponed to 7/10/21. We are also in California. No we’re worried that we may have to postpone again, or make major sacrifices to have the wedding in July.... no idea what to do.
  • Heidi
    Beginner February 2022
    Heidi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi Jessica. I anticipate our state might ease up on restrictions in the summer. I do think restrictions will still be in place until everyone is vaccinated. Not sure how long that will take this year to roll out. So I’m trying to plan for a smaller wedding in July. Most venues are accepting a 40-50 guests. Some venues are allowing more guests with no reception. However I’m coming to find a small wedding costs as almost as much as a big wedding. At the end I’m thinking of just waiting until the beginning of 2022.
  • Jessica
    Beginner July 2022
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi Heidi, thanks for responding. I’m very much at the same place you are - we could downsize, although we are at a private venue which hasn’t figured out their restrictions yet, but it will still cost about the same. What I keep coming back to is that we postponed the first time because we didn’t want to compromise on our dream wedding, so why should I compromise now when all signs point towards the world being back to normal by early 2022.... but then what if they aren’t? I wish my crystal ball was working...
  • Heidi
    Beginner February 2022
    Heidi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Jessica. I have had many conversations with venues and wedding planners and what I keep hearing is California does not have any guidelines for wedding venues. No one has a clue what to do or how to proceed a wedding safely in the future. A wedding planner told me to renegotiate the contract and have the venue put in language that talks specifically to a pandemic clause as my first step. She said I am not bound to a minimum guest count during a pandemic.

We also decided to post pone for later in 2021 because I wasn't comfortable with all the Covid restrictions. So now our 2 choices are to make a small wedding happen in 2021 or postpone for 2022. We are willing to postpone as far as early 2022. I've decided what I need now is professional help to plan a wedding during a pandemic that will work with a budget. Having someone in your corner that has organized a Covid wedding is what I need. Going to start there.

• Martha
    Beginner July 2021
    Martha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi I'm also getting married in July this year. Is your venue not giving you the option to downsize regardless due to COVID since guest count is not being accommodated based on your contract? I have a contract for 100 guests and my venue will pay back the difference if downsizing happens due to COVID, but I wont know until 2 months prior to the wedding if certain restrictions will be in place for the wedding, like limit of people. So if that is the case, I will need to make the unfortunate call to relatives that some will sadly be uninvited in the end. But family should understand and that its not your fault. Sadly that is just the reality right now. I wish I could have the option to cancel it all and just do a small intimate dinner with immediate family only and still have my dad walk me down the aisle with my wedding dress on. I know there are a lot of really gorgeous locations that offer this type set up. Smaller intimate wedding but you can really go all out for half the cost. But up to you how you wish to handle and what your heart wishes for you.

• Sarah
    Just Said Yes July 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Martha,

Do you have a clause in your contract or the contingency plan from your venue about the refunded costs that you can share? I am getting married in July 2021 in Orange County and my venue has been playing it "month by month" for accommodations. We originally planned for 175 for July 2020, but postponed to July 2021. With the uncertainty of the pandemic, we know we won't be able to fill the guest list that large. We want to downsize, but basically will not get any refund and can use the money for "upgrades and extras..."

We are hoping to see if more strict and consistent verbiage about weddings are given by the Governor in the next months, but want to be prepared with something to counter our tough situation. Thanks!

• Martha
    Beginner July 2021
    Martha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi Sarah! I don’t have it in a clause however my venue has a 125 people limit with COVID , which doesn’t affect us because our guest count in the contract was for 100. So even if we invite a bit more more people and they not all show up, we pay for the 100 guests plus. This was something my venue told me upfront to do so that we’re not stuck paying for plates that were not served. The COVID restriction has not affected our guest count thus far. However if that restriction should change now till 2 months prior to our wedding, then they deduct the difference in my final balance. But that’s 2 months prior so it will def suck having to uninvited people in the end. This is the part I most hate about this. But at the end of the day people have to be understanding and that this is something out of your control. Sorry to hear this is happening to you. I would recommend you get something in writing at least in an email if they don’t put it in your contract. Hope it all works out in your favor as they should be accommodating you especially during this time. Quick side note, my original venue got shutdown so I decided to book with their sister location which is the place we are getting married at now. Because of this, the new venue has been very accommodating with us and giving us credit for things would have had to pay for plus a couple of free upgrades. So that alone has helped us out a lot and saved us money in the end. 🙏🏼

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles