We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

L
Expert September 2020

Postponements

on May 31, 2020 at 1:12 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 13
Saved Save
Has anyone had to postpone twice yet? If so, how did you handle the second postponement? I’m going to feel so silly sending out yet another email to our entire guest list about this but cancelling a wedding is expensive lol

13 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on June 1, 2020 at 10:13 PM
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    We considered it - postponed our April wedding to August - but then we realized that the venue wasn't going to let us anyway. So we're going as planned! Make sure you talk with the venue and confirm that it's an option. Ours told us they were proceeding as business as usual unless they're told otherwise.
  • L
    Expert September 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I have the same exact situation! Wow thats so messed up of them, I’m sorry. Even if there are still social distancing rules required theyre forcing you? Mine gave us another backup date just in case and said even if they are open we have the option to postpone.
  • Byrd
    Beginner October 2020
    Byrd ·
    • Flag

I haven't had to postpone twice, just once. BUT I can offer my experience, which is that my guests were extremely polite and didn't hound me about it, but as the day drew closer, many of them finally admitted, they themselves were trying to figure out how to politely decline. In the end, every guest who responded thanked me for being up front and telling them as soon as the decision was final so they could make their own changes and cancellations as needed.

• Jodie
    Dedicated April 2021
    Jodie ·
    • Flag
    I’ve postponed twice. Each time I just bought a change of date e-vite template off Etsy and emailed it to everyone. I’ll send out real invitations again next year
  • L
    Expert September 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah I’ve already had to postpone once. That’s what Im afraid of is that even if everything is open and back to normal people wont come. But thats good people let you know in advance!
  • L
    Expert September 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Did people give you a hard time about it? I feel like people are going to get annoyed if we postpone again but we cant cancel because we’ll end up paying for the entire wedding anyway.
  • Jodie
    Dedicated April 2021
    Jodie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think most people were relieved. We are eventually getting married in the Florida Keys and 100% of the guests on my side of the list have to fly. Since all of the airlines and hotels and everything have been so lenient no one that I’m aware of got screwed over. Plus a lot of people held off on re-booking anything anyway for the 1st postponed date. Overall I think (or at least hope) your guests are understanding - you are doing it for everyone’s health and protection so that everyone can enjoy your day to the fullest.
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeeeep. I emailed last week because we were having the debate, and if we postponed then we could go ahead and plan something with our families for this summer instead. Texas is being pretty gutsy though. A lot or people aren't even bothering with masks, and honestly it might be better by August. Our concern was guests travelling, but guess we have no choice. I'm guessing they won't let us postpone again. Didn't even give us the option of a backup date.
  • L
    Expert September 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay thanks! Its just that were already married so in my head I feel like people will wonder why we keep rescheduling but it is literally cause cancelling is so darn expensive 😂
  • L
    Expert September 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m so jealous. New York/New Jersey are probably the states that are the most behind as far as reopening. They’re really gonna take their sweet time. But maybe thats why theyre not offering a postponement, I guess it depends on the state right now. Hopefully you wont have to!
  • Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    Yep... But three times... May to June, June to August, August to June 2021.

We won't reschedule again though.
  • L
    Expert September 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh wow. You should be good with June 2021! Did you just keep letting people know the same way each time?
  • Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We sent Save the Dates after we set the first date. Then we emailed the 2nd date. And then we emailed saying that we postponed. We haven't shared the June 2021 date yet, we're waiting to be sure of it. When we postponed, we also shared that if our 2021 date can't happen then we won't reschedule.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics