M
Dedicated August 2021

postponed brides - dress Anxiety?!

megan, on October 5, 2020 at 9:13 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 22
Saved
Hey all- we were supposed to get married in august 2020 but had to postpone to august 2021. I am having some major dress anxieties. I’m already on the fence about my dress because there are a few things the seamstress says she can’t do, but also I am SO worried I’ll HATE my dress come next year.

Is anyone else in the same boat?! I feel like I’m constantly wanting to go find a different dress, but with mine being so expensive and no return policies, that seems like a huge undertaking.
Ugh.
STRESSED. HELP!!! postponed brides - dress Anxiety?! 1

22 Comments

Latest activity by Yasmine, on October 7, 2020 at 5:58 AM
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    Not sure what you are anxious about, but I think your dress looks very beautiful.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    It’s gorgeous! Stop overthinking it! It’s a beautiful dress!
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I felt that way for a while! We postponed from July 2020 to July 2022, so as soon as we postponed, I felt like I should go look for a different dress. Instead, I'm looking at new veils. Every time I try my dress on, I remember why I bought it. That helps me feel better about it and not want to go dress shopping again. Don't go dress shopping again if you don't intend to buy another one, because if you fall in love with a different dress, you'll have a harder time loving the one you already have. Try it on again, and you'll likely remember why you bought it. Maybe look for accessories to go with the dress? That might help bring some excitement back for your dress too.
  • M
    Dedicated August 2021
    megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks, I almost feel like I’m just not excited to wear this dress anymore. Maybe it’s because all of the excitement was sucked away this year, but I’m just so stuck on if I get a new dress or not. I just wanted to see if any others were feeling this way!
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Also, I love the details on your current dress! I wouldn't recommend looking for another one, the one you have is beautiful!
  • M
    Dedicated August 2021
    megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    GREAT advice Lisa. I just had my bridal salon store my dress for me, but maybe it’s not too early to look at accessories to help re-excite me.
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I understand. I had three different dresses. The first one I felt pressured to get and never wore. The second I fully intended on wearing even though I liked, but didn't love it, until I went dress shopping a month prior to the wedding for a short dress to wear to the after party and I fell in love with a third dress which is what I ended up wearing to the ceremony and reception. I had the second dress shortened and wore to the after party.

• Belle
    VIP August 2022
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am in the same boat! 2020 ➡️ 2022. How do you feel having to wait another 2 years? I feel soooo upset to be honest. I still love my dress, I just hope I keep my shape (not more not less). Alteration and dress was expensive. I did bought another veil. Much longer and simpler. I am now thinking that mu earrings are too tiny. Sooo much going on in my head. Sometimes I feel like dumping everything and cancel the whole thing. I feel up and down since the 1st postponement. It sucks!
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ugh I hear you on that!! It's been an emotional roller coaster this whole year. Definitely not fun. Once we postponed, I felt really upset at first (but also relieved at the same time), but now am actually happy we chose to go to 2022 instead of 2021. The downside for me is that especially since 90% of our wedding was planned at the time we postponed, I feel like I've lost my excitement for it. So I was trying to get excitement back by considering a new dress, or finding new things to plan, etc. The nice thing about going two years out is that now we can really perfect all the small details we were too busy to focus on before. I'm sure you'll be able to find some beautiful accessories to go with your dress! That's also awesome that you still love your dress! The two years will go by quick, and your wedding will be here before you know it.
  • Destiny
    Savvy October 2020
    Destiny ·
    • Flag
    😍😍😍 I love this dress.
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

Your dress is beautiful. I love it.

• Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    Your dress is pretty! Is there anything else that can be planned to take your mind off of your dress?
  • Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag

I feel like there’s a lot of emotion and anxiety over postponing. If I were in your shoes, I would put the dress away for a few weeks-months and stop looking at other dresses for a while. Then pull your dress out and try it on to see how you feel.

• Bo Miller
    Expert December 2020
    Bo Miller ·
    • Flag

That dress is AMAZING and looks incredible on you!

• Sarah
    Savvy August 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

You're definitely not alone! I was also supposed to get married in August 2020 and postponed to August 2021 due to Covid, and I'm feeling the same way about my dress. Although, I do have to say that your dress looks absolutely stunning on you - it's truly so beautiful! Were you having dress anxieties before your postponement, or did they start after you had to postpone? I think it's definitely normal to be feeling this way, especially given the circumstances (at least that's what I'm telling myself!)

• M
    Dedicated August 2021
    megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

THANK YOU. I feel like I am taking crazy pills. I do feel like I had some anxiety about my dress, but really because I just can never tell what looks good on me, and it was a struggle to get real opinions from my mom, future MIL. I think it looks ok, but also have constant worry I just don't look "right" in it.

I'm trying to stay calm and just move forward as much as possible with what I have!

It is nice to know I'm not alone, and that I'm not the only one who has lost excitement.

• M
    Dedicated August 2021
    megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you Bo! It's really nice to have re-assurance on how it looks. I keep thinking it looks funny, or that I should have gotten a different cut/style...I'm just all over the place emotionally right now

• M
    Dedicated August 2021
    megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ugh I wish! We are using a planner, and she has refused to do any more planning until January (even though we had to pay an entirely NEW deposit to keep her on for another year). I get it, things may be the same next year and we have to postpone again (hope not), so she doesn't want us putting anymore deposits down or planning anything only to be disappointed. But it's hard to get excited about anything anymore. I just feel like impending disappointment.

• M
    Dedicated August 2021
    megan ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone who has said the dress is beautiful. Really that is such a source of anxiety for me. I have a difficult time seeing what looks good on my body, and I ahd a lot of anxiety dress shopping in general because of this. I felt like I couldn't get honest opinions from my mom or future MIL (they just kept saying get what you like)...when I just want to make sure I look good.

It's probably just the fact that there is an unknown still for next year. I think I'm just losing steam and feeling a little hopeless in general for a wedding to happen.

• Bo Miller
    Expert December 2020
    Bo Miller ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Girl no! You are killing it in the dress!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics