We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Elise
Beginner October 2021

Postponed and Relieved

Elise, on July 4, 2020 at 2:47 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 7
Saved Save
With all the uncertainty Covid has caused, I found myself scouring forums, repeatedly texting/calling friends/family, but ultimately getting stuck in the same circular conversation: to postpone or not to postpone our 10/10/20 wedding?

As of last night, we officially decided to postpone a full year to 10/9/21 and I can’t even tell you the relief that I feel today. So while this post isn’t one of garnering advice, I merely wanted to share our experience in case it helps any other brides out there struggling with the same question right now. And of course start a forum where other brides could share what led them to their decision of postponement or not.
Just know, whether you continue reading or not, that whatever decision you make will be the right decision. This is your wedding day and you’re entitled to do as you please to have the day of your dreams.
Wedding Details: 200 guests, Kentucky venue, outside ceremony/cocktail hour, reception in a 5000 sq foot rustic warehouse type building.
Restrictions aside, even if we had been “allowed” to have our wedding as is (200 people, dance floor allowed, etc) what it came down to was the comfort level and risk factor for our guests. We, like many, have elderly, or otherwise high risk, family members. And for us, while we of course want to get married, waiting a year seemed like a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of our life together. Especially if waiting a year gave us a better chance of not only having the wedding we’d always planned, but also having our guests feel comfortable and safe.
In any case, hope this helps!

7 Comments

• Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I’m sorry you had to do this but it was probably for the best and it sounds like you are good with your decision. Enjoy another year to plan your beautiful day!!
  • Bridget
    Savvy October 2020
    Bridget ·
    • Flag
    We moved our 10/10 wedding in Maryland to 4/10/21. It’s definitely a difficult decision, but it is a relief. Best wishes!
  • Erin
    Expert August 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    Thank you for sharing your experience and reasons why you decided to postpone. I’m sure it will help other brides in this situation. Good luck on your new wedding date!
  • S
    Beginner October 2021
    Shawnequa ·
    • Flag
    I moved my Nov 8th wedding to July 2021 for the same reasons. I wouldn't be able to handle if everything shut downs again in the fall because of the second wave of COVID. I hate to put my guests health at risk. It was causing me and my future hubby stress and anxiety. I had a pitty party for myself for about two weeks after deciding to postpone. I feel much better about my decision now.
  • K
    Devoted October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I absolutely agree! We decided this weekend to move our reception to next year. We will still be having our church ceremony in October this year with just our immediate family and bridal party and we will do our reception on or close to our anniversary date. I am also so relieved since we made this decision as we too have a lot of elderly and high risk including all of our parents and we could not see putting them in that situation. Our guest list is 175 and we will only have 40 at our ceremony now.

Enjoy your holiday weekend!!
  • L
    Super July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    I'm so sorry you had to postpone! I understand the emotions that come with the decision. My fiance and I postponed our July 31, 2020 wedding to July 2022, and the weeks leading up to the decision were the worst. Total emotional roller coaster. Once we made the final decision to postpone, I felt so relieved. I still occasionally get a minute of sadness here and there (mainly when I'm working on a part of cancelling - such as, picking up my dress from alterations, cancelling the room block, etc). But the relief I feel completely outweighs the occasional sadness, the decision we made was definitely for the best. Best of luck for your new wedding date, it'll be a good day!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

I'm so sorry you had to deal with the stress of this decision, but I'm SO glad you feel relieved now!! Smiley heart

I hope locking down a new wedding date gives you something to get excited about!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles