With all the uncertainty Covid has caused, I found myself scouring forums, repeatedly texting/calling friends/family, but ultimately getting stuck in the same circular conversation: to postpone or not to postpone our 10/10/20 wedding?
As of last night, we officially decided to postpone a full year to 10/9/21 and I can’t even tell you the relief that I feel today. So while this post isn’t one of garnering advice, I merely wanted to share our experience in case it helps any other brides out there struggling with the same question right now. And of course start a forum where other brides could share what led them to their decision of postponement or not. Just know, whether you continue reading or not, that whatever decision you make will be the right decision. This is your wedding day and you’re entitled to do as you please to have the day of your dreams. Wedding Details: 200 guests, Kentucky venue, outside ceremony/cocktail hour, reception in a 5000 sq foot rustic warehouse type building. Restrictions aside, even if we had been “allowed” to have our wedding as is (200 people, dance floor allowed, etc) what it came down to was the comfort level and risk factor for our guests. We, like many, have elderly, or otherwise high risk, family members. And for us, while we of course want to get married, waiting a year seemed like a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of our life together. Especially if waiting a year gave us a better chance of not only having the wedding we’d always planned, but also having our guests feel comfortable and safe. In any case, hope this helps!
I moved my Nov 8th wedding to July 2021 for the same reasons. I wouldn't be able to handle if everything shut downs again in the fall because of the second wave of COVID. I hate to put my guests health at risk. It was causing me and my future hubby stress and anxiety. I had a pitty party for myself for about two weeks after deciding to postpone. I feel much better about my decision now.
I absolutely agree! We decided this weekend to move our reception to next year. We will still be having our church ceremony in October this year with just our immediate family and bridal party and we will do our reception on or close to our anniversary date. I am also so relieved since we made this decision as we too have a lot of elderly and high risk including all of our parents and we could not see putting them in that situation. Our guest list is 175 and we will only have 40 at our ceremony now.
I'm so sorry you had to postpone! I understand the emotions that come with the decision. My fiance and I postponed our July 31, 2020 wedding to July 2022, and the weeks leading up to the decision were the worst. Total emotional roller coaster. Once we made the final decision to postpone, I felt so relieved. I still occasionally get a minute of sadness here and there (mainly when I'm working on a part of cancelling - such as, picking up my dress from alterations, cancelling the room block, etc). But the relief I feel completely outweighs the occasional sadness, the decision we made was definitely for the best. Best of luck for your new wedding date, it'll be a good day!