We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Emilee
Just Said Yes December 2020

Plus One

Emilee, on May 12, 2020 at 2:46 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Saved Save

Is it wrong to tell people they can't bring a plus one to our wedding?

We want a small quiet wedding with only close family and friends, and would prefer not to have random people we don't know showing up.

11 Comments

• Nicole
    Rockstar November 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

Plus ones are for truly single people and are not required. Etiquette dictates that couples (regardless of the length of time of their relationship) should always be invited as a couple (even if you haven't met their SO) as they are a social unit.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I think if space is an issue then that's totally fine

• Jana
    Rockstar June 2023
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Plus ones are never required and very often never done. Guests know you will have space/budget concerns. Only put invited guests names on invites and don't let people pressure you.
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    As long as you aren’t referring to a significant other as a plus one it’s fine.
  • Samantha
    Rockstar October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

We aren't giving our single guests a plus one. As long as you're inviting couples you definitely don't need to invite additional guests.

• Brittany
    Devoted October 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    At first we were going to give single guests a plus one, but with everything going on, we realized we might have to cut our guest list down. I felt similar to you though, I didn’t want random people at my wedding.
  • Maureen
    Savvy November 2021
    Maureen ·
    • Flag
    It’s your wedding. Do what is best for you! We are only doing plus ones if they’re married, or living together but not married, we honestly can’t invite everyone with a plus 1, there’s no room for that many people. Sorry, no plus one if you’ve been together like a month
  • Belle
    Super July 2020
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    I saw another post about this, and the polite way to do is to include “we reserve 1 seat for you” thing.
  • A
    Savvy September 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    We only dedicated a plus one to our friends/family that is either married or in a serious relationship. Our single friends didnt not receive a plus one due to size/budget concerns. I just felt that it didnt make sense for us considering we are having a smaller wedding anyways.
  • Nefetera
    Rockstar March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    I mean for me it's werid however space is limit its not an issue. Werid not in a bad way in a way I m personally not use to hearing
  • E
    Dedicated September 2020
    E.F. ·
    • Flag
    I dont think its wrong at all. its your day. if they are married people then i wouldnt not give a plus one though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles