We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Keeya
Dedicated August 2019

Photos Timeline

Keeya, on May 21, 2019 at 10:06 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 2 17
Saved Save
Hello all! I'm looking for some advice on the photo timeline before the wedding. We're doing all the major photos before the ceremony. So for my FSIL's wedding, she started with the photos with the bridesmaids and bride, followed by groomsmen and groom, then the first look and couple photos, finished with family. It worked well, but I've been seeing some examples of doing the first look and couples photos first followed by the others and I am wondering if that is any better.

If any of you did your photos before the ceremony, what timeline did you follow? Which sets of photos came first, and how much time did you set aside for each set? Would you recommend that timeline?

Thank you so much!

17 Comments

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    We did first look followed by wedding party pictures. That way we had already seen each other and didn’t have to worry about hiding while one of us took wedding party pictures. Also we did me and my bridesmaids, my husband and his groomsmen and then whole wedding party. Splitting that up would’ve seemed unnecessary to me. We did family immediately after the ceremony so we didn’t have to stress about getting everyone there before the ceremony.
  • Mrsblair
    Dedicated May 2019
    Mrsblair ·
    • Flag
    I did exactly was Kelly did ^^^
    it was nice to have some alone time with my husband immediately following the ceremony rather than having to rush to photos!
  • Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Awesome! Thank you! How much time did you set aside for those if you don't mind me asking?

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    15 minutes first look with dad, 15-30 minutes (not sure of exactly how long it took) first look with husband and some couples portraits, 30ish minutes for wedding party pictures. 15 minutes for family pictures after the ceremony and then my husband and I snuck away for 15 or 20 minutes during the first course of dinner for some sunset pictures. But definitely ask your photographer because everyone is different on how quickly they can do things.
  • Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    I haven't made it to the big day yet. However, we plan to do the first look first and while we're taking our photos, the second photographer can get pictures of the wedding party and family until we join them.
    On the rough draft of my timeline, I set aside 1hr 45mins for all pre-ceremony photos.
  • Jessica
    VIP June 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I'm not sure on timing for everything but our photographers are showing up at 1 and our ceremony starts at 4:45. They are planning on doing the "getting ready pictures" then first look, bridal party then family. They said they will most likely be done an hour before the ceremony starts so we can hang out and relax.

• Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·
    • Flag

We will be doing

girls getting ready (30 min)

guys getting ready (10-20 min)

first look (10 min)

bride and groom photo walk (30 min)

wedding party photos (30 min)

immediate family photos (45 min)

all at the air bnb before we go to the wedding venue

• Amanda
    Dedicated June 2019
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Bride amd groom photo walk sounds adorable!!!
  • Amanda
    Dedicated June 2019
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    So I gave myself WAY extra time... I'm someone who gets anxiety very easy, I don't have a DOC until the ceremony starts, we have 4 children in the wedding party (our 4 children) and it's in another state that we aren't used to. I also gave myself a long couples portrait session bc my future hubby hates photos..and this is the 1 time he said he will happily take a bunch of romantic photos with me so I'm taking advantage of that! Lol here is my timeline!

2-315Bride & bridesmaids getting ready & posed pictures

3:15-430 1st look

4:30- 5pm guys & wedding party photos (ladies leave for venue at 5)

We also have a 45 minute window after the ceremony to have pictures done with wedding party and family. With it being a out of state wedding we have about 30 guests... including our wedding party... so this should be PLENTY of time to get everything done and not be rushed (I'm hoping...lol).

• Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Lol I really like the term. it is what my photographer calls the time to just walk and look around for cute back drops for couple photos. we did this for our engagement pictures.

• Sherry
    Rockstar September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

We are not doing a first look so our first photos will be split between us getting ready starting at 1230 pm, then the ceremony at 2 pm then group/family photos afterwards from 230-330 pm.

• Jess
    Super September 2019
    Jess ·
    • Flag

We are not doing a first look but we are doing any individual pictures before the ceremony so that after the ceremony is only group pictures. Right now my timeline is:

2:30pm-2:50pm Bride with Family

2:50pm-3:15pm Bride Portraits

3:15pm-3:40pm Bride with Bridesmaids

3:45pm-4:15pm Groom with Family/ Groom with Groomsmen

4:30pm-5pm Ceremony

5pm-6pm Cocktail Hour/ All Photos with Bride and Groom

• Jenna
    Super October 2019
    Jenna ·
    • Flag

We are planning on this:

Getting ready pictures simultaneously (second shooter with the guys, and the videographer will have to make time for each).

Drive to venue

First look & couple portraits

Bridal party photos (both photographers at same time for each half and then pictures of whole bridal party)

Family photos

ETA: As far as how much time to allocate, definitely talk to your photographer about this. It can be different for everyone. For example, when I say family, that includes immediate family plus four large groups of people including aunts, uncles, and cousins on each side because that is what my family does for these events. For some people, it can mean parents and a sibling, so the timeline will look very different.

• Kellie Martinez
    Super October 2019
    Kellie Martinez ·
    • Flag

My photographer suggested: bridesmaid/ bride photos, first look, groomsman/groom photos, and family prior to the ceremony; then bridal party photos/remaining family photos, and bride/groom portraits all after the ceremony so that's how I have it on my timeline.

• Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Before the ceremony our photographer will be getting group shots of myself and my bridesmaids and FH with his groomsmen separately. We've decided not to go with a first look.

This will save time during cocktail hour when we finish off with additional group and family photos.

• Keeya
    Dedicated August 2019
    Keeya ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone for sharing your photo timelines! I really appreciate it- it's been a huge help!

• K
    Just Said Yes November 2019
    kristen ·
    • Flag
    I am also doing the same thing and stuck on a timeline. Thank you for posting (:

Comment on this discussion

Related articles