We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Elmarose
Expert July 2021

Photography timeline

Elmarose, on July 4, 2020 at 1:35 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 19
Saved Save

Hi everyone, as my first consultation is approaching I need advice from you guys on how much time you all took taking photographs on your wedding day.

For sure we are not doing a first look as he wants to see me for the first time walking down the aisle. We are doing the prayer and holding hands behind a door where we cannot see each other.

I'm debating on doing a photoshoot with our bridal party and parent's the next day or weekend since we are having a Thursday wedding and spending as much possible time with our guest and taking photographs with them instead and maybe a few pictures with my new hubby in between the wedding.

I was wondering if any of you skipped an hour or two of photographs after the ceremony (cocktail hour) and spent time with your loved ones during instead?

Is it rude to keep our guest waiting 1-3 hours for a photoshoot after the ceremony? How long were your cocktail hours? and what photographs were your main focus during this time?

What do you guys think?

Any input/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes and congratulations to you allSmiley ring Smiley laugh

19 Comments

Latest activity by Elmarose, on July 6, 2020 at 3:30 AM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    There are people who have long gaps in between where people come back for a reception later. I don’t recommend it but it’s something people do if they want that time to take photos
  • Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My ceremony and reception will be at the same venue but in different parts of the venue. Cocktail hour as well. I feel that if my guest know how long I am taking during my pictures they might get bored or frustrated during cocktail hour.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

Is it rude to keep our guest waiting 1-3 hours for a photoshoot after the ceremony?

One hour is not rude as long as you’re providing apps and drinks for your guests. You shouldn’t make your guests wait any longer than that. If you’re hiring a professional photographer, there’s absolutely no reason you should need three hours for photos between ceremony and reception. Guests will without a doubt start to leave.

How long were your cocktail hours?

An hour.

and what photographs were your main focus during this time?

Family, entire bridal party, and couple.

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you very much for this !

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    Cocktail hour is just like it sounds an hour. I would do all of your bridal party photos prior to the ceremony except for the ones that require all of the bridal party and you and your husband to be together. I would also do certain family photos ahead of time so like if you want photos of you with your parents or him his parents that could be done before the ceremony. I wouldn't do a photoshoot ahead of time if you would want everyone to dress up and have their hair and makeup done because that's more money they would have to spend. You'd also have to spend more on a photographer. Also, if you are getting tuxes you only get them for so long. I think one major issue you are going to have with photos before are that you are having a Thursday wedding unless all of your bridal party and family is taking off the entire day.
  • Jeni
    Devoted July 2021
    Jeni ·
    • Flag
    If you want a gap between your ceremony and reception, you need to make it very clear on your invitations (and website). I would also ensure that your ceremony isn't around a meal time so people aren't starving in between. You also don't need to provide entertainment during this long gap; people can rest, grab a drink, changr or whatever.

Example: ceremony at 1 pm, cocktail hour at 5 pm, reception at 6 pm. The cocktail hour is still there because it gives your guests time to re-arrive from the break. Your invitation would be for your ceremony info only (do not put "reception to follow" at the bottom) and then you have an insert that explains the cocktail hour and reception.

It's somewhat common to have long breaks on a wedding day, so don't stress if that's what you want. It will be very hard to gather all your family on another day for pictures. Just be clear and upfront with your guests from the start.
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

100% agree with everything that Caytlyn said. I would also not recommend doing professional photos the day after the wedding. Your dress might get dirty, your photographer would cost a lot more, you would have to pay to get hair and makeup done a second time, the men might have to return their tux/suit rentals the next day, etc. A professional photographer can definitely get all the pics you need on the wedding day.

• Erin
    Expert August 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    We have an hour for cocktail and we are getting most of those photos of us and immediate family out of the way. Then we will go back out around 9 pm for about 15 minutes for sunset pictures for just the two of us. We have a second shooter so it won’t take as long with just one.
  • Natalie
    Expert November 2020
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn’t suggest a long break in between, particularly for a weekday wedding. If guests realize that there is going to be a big gap, they may be less likely to take the time off work to see the ceremony and will instead just attend the reception. If guests aren’t expecting it, they might be irritated that they did take time off work. A few hours has always felt like an awkward amount of time to fill!
  • Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I really didn't know who to include in the photographs during this time. I'll definitely take note of this

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you I appreciate your feedback! our photographer will be my cousin who graduated and is a professional photographer. My makeup artist and hair artist will be one of my bridesmaids who does professional make up and is certified. I was really blessed with a lot of major costs from the wedding with family and friends. I think most likely I'll stick with doing those types of photos before the ceremony it gives me a good idea on how to organize and prepare myself. Since it is a Thursday wedding his family and mine wanted to do like a weekend celebration so I think your advice works great and if anything we can do photographs during the weekend if our cousin thinks we need more. Best wishes!

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I understand! Great advice, Thank you. I have an idea now on you to personlize the wedding invitation format. I love this!

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks I've been looking at some charts with must have photos on Pinterest on our wedding day so that is easing my way in more. The cost for the photographer is set with my cousin, the tuxedo's will actually be the blue's (military / groomsmen will be wearing) and we are getting tuxes for them as a gift to keep. Makeup will be done by my bridesmaid and hair (: My options are pretty open because we have been so blessed with the contribution of our families from the smallest details to even having family with flower businesses for the wedding. That's why I wanted some feedback to see if anyone else has ever done it differently. But I love your advice because you are totally right! I didn't even think about my dress getting dirty! thank you

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is great advice! thank you

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Totally get it! It'll definitely be an hour long because that is what I have seen most people give advice for and I definitely appreciate your advice about it being a weekday wedding. Thank you!

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My only concern would be if the guys are renting suits or tuxes. Most of the time you have to have them back to where you got them the day after the wedding.
  • Erin
    Expert August 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You’re welcome! Good luck with everything!
  • Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you I'll check this out and keep an eye out for returns ! Smiley smile

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

So sweet! you as wellSmiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics