Allie
Rockstar August 2019

Photography- Shot list?

Allie, on July 29, 2019 at 2:31 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 16
Saved Save

Getting down to the wire here. I've finalized my timeline with my photographer. Did you give your photographer a list of must have shots? I'm not talking about shots like bride and groom with grandma Ellen. Things like: Groom looking at bride, bride glancing away kind of shots. I want to make sure there are many shots of me and FH, just wondering if I should just show up and let it go or do some research and give a shot list.

16 Comments

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I did not provide a shot list beyond the names of people we wanted pictures with.
  • Ivy ORP
    Rockstar October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

I'm having a hard time with this. We are hoping to meet up with our photographer in the next couple of weeks and I just don't know what I want other than a first look and family photos. One of our issues is that I am 6' and she is 5'3". Not that I don't think we are adorable together but I don't want to look like a giant overshadowing her in my big dress. I'm considering bringing one of our chairs but don't want to make her feel bad. We have a couple of props like Mrs signs we will each hold and I'm sure we'll get a few of us walking near the water on the beach but then what? We are goofy so I know those cute pics will be fine, but we're also really romantic and I want our pictures to reflect that love we are excited to showcase on the big day.

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

The only thing we're providing, aside from a list of people we want photos with, are locations and examples of pictures from our venue. There are a few hidden areas that we know look great in photos and our photographer has never shot a wedding at our venue before, so I made an album in my phone of some examples I really like.

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Maybe you could research some sitting poses that you like. I was worried about being taller than my FW in our engagement photos so that's what we did. I wound up being the exact same height as her in my heels, which was still weird for me. A few of the seated photos are some of our favorites!

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

Things like: Groom looking at bride, bride glancing away kind of shots

I thought about providing this level of detail to our photographer, as I want to make sure she gets some of the more romantic poses like the one you described above. But once we had our engagement shoot, and got the photos back--I realized I didn't have to tell her this, or write it down. Our photographer just naturally took shots like this. She is very much into the romance of it all, and the love story of the couple she is photographing. She tries to get to know her couples a little before the wedding, so she can get those more intimate, personal photos. She really did an amazing job on our engagement photos, and I never felt like they were all "posed". A lot of them were very natural, and taken when I didn't even realize she was shooting. FH and I were just talking, or looking at each other, and she did her thing.

I'll probably talk to her one more time before the wedding, just to go over stuff like that. But she's already proven we can trust her to take the most romantic and beautiful photos of our lives! I can't wait!

• Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I think the easiest thing is to make a Pinterest board and share it with your photographer!
  • Madison
    Devoted August 2019
    Madison ·
    • Flag

We provided our photographer with a shot list of sorts.

Basically, we gave him a list of "groups" that we would like photos of, with everyones name listed below. That way, we know who's missing from the shot if people decide to wander of.

Example:

BRIDE + GROOM + SMITH FAMILY

Includes: Jane, John, Mary, Nancy, and Paul

We didn't include specific shots like "groom looking at bride", because we're not super picky on that stuff, and trust our photographer to get great shots.

• Kyleah
    Expert March 2020
    Kyleah ·
    • Flag

I did give my photographer a list like this because she asked me for specific shots that I know I want so that she can plan accordingly Smiley smile

• Kyleah
    Expert March 2020
    Kyleah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Definitely this! I did this with our photographer and we both add to it periodically so that she can remember what shots we need to get day of Smiley smile

• Elizabeth
    Master December 2016
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

Yes, yes, yes, provide a shot list and brainstorm with your photographer. Also, give a list of ALL the people you want a picture with, even if it seems obvious. My dad and I are very close and can you believe I don't have a single photo of me with my dad? Both my parents walked me down the aisle, so I have that shot, but my mom's in it too. And we do have a few extended family shots, but none of just me and my dad. I just never imagined a wedding without a photo of the bride with her father, so I didn't bother to tell my photographer to make sure to get one. On the wedding day, there were so many photos that it didn't even occur to me until that night when I was reflecting on the day and I realized I didn't take a single shot with my father alone.

• Ivy ORP
    Rockstar October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Maybe I'll sit her down and look up some seated pics to gauge her reaction before we sit with the photographer. I think I just pushed it out of my head because the last thing I want to do is make her feel like I think her height is an issue. I love her just the way she is!!! I saw a posting on another site that only included pics of the bride and groom looking away from each other and got so turned off by the idea so it really stressed me out to come up with shots we did want without our pics all looking the same or like I'm constantly looking down on her.

• E
    Devoted October 2019
    emjo ·
    • Flag
    I think it's a good idea. Did you have an engagement session with the photographer? After we had one with ours she told us to make a list of the poses we liked from the session and the ones we didn't so she would know for the wedding.
  • Ceelie
    Expert August 2019
    Ceelie ·
    • Flag

I'll be making one for our photographer. It will probably help to find some examples on pinterest or something, so that your photographer has a visual to look at.

• Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    • Flag
    My photographer has shot many weddings at my venue, so I’m not giving her a shot list beyond family photos. We’re just going to go with the flow on wedding day!
  • Sherry
    VIP September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

We will be giving ours a shot list. We know our minds will be going a million miles an hour the day of and I didn't want to miss any photos we knew we would want.

• Sonya
    Dedicated November 2020
    Sonya ·
    • Flag
    I met with my photographer this past weekend and he advised me to create a folder or file on pinterest or my phone of shots I would like to have done like certain poses or what have you. I feel kind of unsure of what to save as I don't want to feel fake posing trying to recreate a photo I saw or a photo shot of me gazing into my FH's eyes or whatever.. I am hoping he makes a suggestion like ok you grab his hand and twirl around..hahaha but to plan it out is weird BUT I will save some just in case... I want those unique shots of us being us.

Comment on this discussion