Christina
Devoted July 2020

Photography Question

Christina, on July 9, 2020 at 3:13 PM Posted in Planning 1 15
Saved
I am 15 days away !!!!! I’m so excited! I can not wait to put together our wedding scrapbook and hang up our pictures throughout our apartment.

I love looking at photos from you brides. I was wondering if you gave a list to your photographer on what pictures to get or let them do their own thing ? I don’t know if I should have a prepared list of must have photos or if I should just not stress it ? What do you think ?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Mindy, on July 10, 2020 at 9:25 AM
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah Online ·
    • Flag
    Our photographer asked for a shot list. Our list focused more on making sure we got various family combinations for photos. It gets pretty chaotic, so we wanted to make sure we looked back and saw photos of us with siblings, parents, grandparents, etc.
  • Stacey
    Super May 2021
    Stacey ·
    • Flag

Yeah, your photographer should definitely be proactively asking you for your "must-have" shot list, and start familiarizing himself/herself in advance with key family members, etc (not in person, just on paper).

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    They posed me most of the time. There were poses I wanted to do and I completely forgot about it aha so it’s a good idea to make the photographer know what you want so they can remember
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

Agree with PPs that your photographer should ask for a shot list. We mostly let her do her own thing, but there were a few poses and locations specific to our venue that we really wanted to capture. What really helped me is searching for our venue using the location function on Instagram and seeing the photos that other couples posted. My wife and I both have complicated family structures so it was also important to make sure that we got photos with the family members we wanted.

• Tara
    VIP November 2016
    Tara ·
    • Flag

My opinion, definitely make a list! I can tell you from my personal experience I had made one and sent it to my photographer and I still didn't get most of those photos I had asked for and really wanted. It's definitely great to let your photographer use their talents and creativity, but I would absolutely recommend having a list of what you want.

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    I have a fairly small shot list for my photographer. He said he has his own shot list (getting ready photos, rings, reception room setup, wedding party photos, family photos, etc), though if I have any unique requests that wouldn't be on a typical shot list (my fiance and I both wearing our favorite sports jerseys, a group photo with friends from college, etc), to let him know. I would suggest putting together a list of photos that may differ from the typical wedding photos, and definitely include specific poses you want and/or specific people you want pictures with.
  • Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    Yes, we gave our photographer a list of must have photos. She actually sent us a “questionnaire”, for lack of a better word. I also send her photos, from other weddings at our venue, that I really loved as inspiration shots.
  • Monique
    Master December 2019
    Monique ·
    • Flag
    We went over a list and example photos but we ended up letting them do their own thing the day of.
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    My photographer asked for us to send them a list. She wanted to know what family combos we wanted so that she didn't miss any that were important to us.
  • Christina
    Devoted July 2020
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Do you know of Itis typical to ask for bridal portraits ? A few shots by myself in my dress ?
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    During the wedding day or as a separate photo session (similar to engagement photos)? As a separate session (prior to the wedding day), I know some people do it, but I hadn't heard of it before joining the forums, so it doesn't seem super common to me. As far as during the wedding day, it seems common to me, the weddings I've been to, all brides have had their photos taken by themselves, and the grooms had their photos taken too. But if in doubt, I would add it to your shot list that you give your photographer just in case.
  • Kristina
    Dedicated July 2020
    Kristina ·
    • Flag
    That is a great question, I will have to ask my photographer about this shot list.
  • Elmarose
    Expert July 2022
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag

Definitely come up with a shot list of wedding photos you want the most for sure to be perfect. You only get married once and those captured moments will stay with you a lifetime Smiley love

• A
    Super October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Your photographer should have this conversation with you. We’re giving ours a list of family member combinations we want in pictures (at her request) but absolutely not poses because that’s not how she works, nor is it what we want. Our photographer always does portraits of the bride by herself and the groom by himself as well.
  • Mindy
    Super November 2020
    Mindy ·
    • Flag
    I have a photo of my mom and me from her and former stepdad’s wedding that I want to recreate but I haven’t had a sit down to discuss that part yet. I’d imagine my photographer and I will have a planning session or two closer to the wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics