A
Dedicated October 2020

Photography coverage

Adriana, on February 3, 2020 at 7:58 PM Posted in Planning 0 20
Saved
So I’m struggling to find a photographer available for my wedding date, especially one in my budget. I’ve found one girl who is under budget and takes amazing photos, but the package in my price range is only 4 hours of coverage and 200 images. I’m just wondering if this will be enough time and enough images, I’m not so much worried about reception coverage but I’m not doing a first look so I’ll need ceremony coverage and after ceremony portraits and family photos. Does anyone have any advice? Will this be enough coverage or should we splurge for a bigger package?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on February 4, 2020 at 1:41 AM
  • Jordan
    Expert March 2021
    Jordan ·
    • Flag

How long is your wedding?

• A
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The ceremony will probably last around 15-20 minutes and we don’t have a time limit for the reception.
  • Jordan
    Expert March 2021
    Jordan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

If you don't want the whole reception then I think that could work. Are you wanting pre wedding pictures while you are getting ready? If so i might consider asking what it cost just to add a few more hours.

• Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

So basically I am "eloping" more or less a very small wedding with just my fiance and I and a few friends. I am going 4 hours only and my photographer said that is enough. We have our venue for a few hours. I figured enough time for some quick pre wedding pics of my dress and me getting in the dress, the ceremony, some pics around the venue and nearby and I may do the cake cutting at the venue before taking our friends to a restaurant. She said 4 is good. I would talk to the photographer as they are better with figuring out timelines. Also, did you ask how much extra if she ends up staying one hour longer?

• A
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t have to have getting ready photos, maybe just a couple shots at the end of getting ready and I’d like to have a “first look” with my mom and bridesmaids. I will talk to her and see how much it would cost for a little extra time. Thanks!
  • A
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m thinking 4 hours will be enough time to cover what we want covered, but I am going to discuss it with the photographer and see what she thinks is best. Thanks!
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh sure. There was a lot I did not know. I thought three hours was good but I was suggested 4 and I am prepared to pay for at least an hour more just in case. I hope things work out so you stay within budget. Weddings are pricey huh? LOL

• Suzie
    Super October 2021
    Suzie ·
    • Flag

I would ask if she would be willing to create a custom package for you. Tell her your budget, and what you are hoping for - your musts and what you don’t ”need” - and see if she’d be willing to work something within that. That’s what we did with ours. His standard package was $4,500 (two photographers, digital images, copyright, the works), or he did a la carte. We called him back after our meeting and said, this is what we are hoping to stay within, this is what we would def want, and would he be willing to give us a package that worked for all of us. Now we have a deal for $2,650. Doesn’t hurt to communicate your needs.

• A
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes they are 😂 we’re trying to keep the budget tight and be as savvy as possible. It’s hard to find everything that fits your needs, especially with a smaller budget.
  • A
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That is awesome! We will discuss it with her and see if she’d be willing to offer something like this. Thanks!
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Trust me I know. My dilemma now is hair and make up but I am thinking I am just going to have to pay $300+ :/

• A
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, I am paying $375 for me, four bridesmaids, and my mom to have our makeup done. I think I’m going to have my cousin do my hair, hopefully she’ll do it free lol
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Waitt $375 for you or you and all those ladies. I wish I could. It would be about that just for me and maybe my maid of honor's make up if she wants it done professionally.

• A
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s for all of us! It’s a pretty good price, and the girl who’s doing it is AMAZING. I was very happy! I have to pay a $25 travel fee for her but that’s fine with me Smiley smile when I had my prom makeup done a few years ago it was over $200 so I was so excited when I found this girl!
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oooooh you're lucky. Hair and make up alone is about $130+ as I am seeing and not including trial. Also, I am getting married on a Sunday so that makes it much harder.

• A
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, it can be pretty pricey. You can sometimes find cheaper prices by finding someone local who does it as a side job/hobby instead of going through a salon or something. There are a lot of talented people who are just as good as professionals but way better prices. Best of luck to you! 😊
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No they charge about the same maybe a little cheaper. Cheapest would be Sephora or Mac. I will budget for it though.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    200 images seems very low. We had photography for 5 hours. They guaranteed us 500 pictures but we got literally 3,000
  • Kaylynn
    Dedicated June 2020
    Kaylynn ·
    • Flag

I had the same problem with my budget in my area and wanting to not miss out on photos- here was my FH and I idea- we agreed on a package out of our budget within reason, paid our deposit then added the remaining total of it to our registry. It worked out so well for us, my aunt saw it and loved the idea and paid it immediately! As a thank you we will be getting her a gift like we did our families for helping us pay for a precious part of our wedding.

• Sarah
    Savvy September 2020
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    My 1st wedding I had a 4-hour photo package and it was long enough. She photographed the ceremony, cocktail hour, family photos, and 2.5 hours of the reception. It was perfect, and the price was great! I find the getting dressed photos creepy so I asked her to start at the ceremony time instead of early, and I have no regrets. My 2nd wedding will be much smaller and won’t have a professional photographer.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics