BreAnna
Beginner September 2019

Photographer Issues After Wedding

BreAnna, on February 7, 2020 at 2:24 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 9
Saved
Hey ladies! I am desperate for advice. To make a very long story short, I’ve had problems with my wedding photographer from the very beginning. But I had already paid her so much money (the deposit) I put up with it. It has been 20 weeks since my wedding and I have still not received all of my bridals or wedding photos. My bridals were taken in August, I have 17 photos from that, and my wedding was in September, and I have 47 photos from that. Is this normal? In her contract it states an 8-16 week return. I have asked her multiple times (very nicely) when I could expect to receive the rest of them, and she either doesn’t respond or she says she will have them to me the next week, which never happens.
I am afraid of being rude to her, because or contract is technically not legal. When I first booked with her she sent me a blank contract and she would never give me the information to fill it out. I just let it go because I didn’t think there would be any problems. She showed up to the wedding on time and even stayed later than I paid for, but I am getting anxious about these pictures. I paid 1400 for them and I just don’t know what to do at this point. Any advice appreciated!!!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Meghan, on February 8, 2020 at 11:03 AM
  • Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

If you feel as though your "contract" doesn't provide you with any legal grounds to take her to court, I don't think there's much else that you can do. That's really the only option in this type of situation, but if an actual contract isn't in place, you're at her mercy for your photos unfortunately. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, hopefully she'll get them to you soon!

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Why do you feel it isn't legal though, esp if her turn around time stated 16 weeks?
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

Oh boy. I hate this for you as I would also be freaking out but considering you never got a complete contract, you really can't do anything but keep asking for them. You can give her a deadline, refer back to any messages, emails etc that you may have exchanged but it is really all up to her. Maybe ask why she is keeping them. If she just doesn't have the time or want to edit them, ask that she just send you the originals and you can have someone else work on them and she can keep all the money, you just want your pictures. Live and learn-always always get a contract and read it before you sign or give any money! Good luck and I do hope that you get all of your pictures soon!

• Kimberly
    Beginner March 2020
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    Even if you feel like your contract isn't "legal" because it wasn't all filled out, it can still be enforced. I'm an attorney (and I work for a judge). We enforce contracts all the time that are incomplete or missing info. You can consult an attorney to see what your legal options are. Sometimes a strongly worded letter from an attorney is all it takes.

There is also a thing in the law called an implied contract, you paid her for a service and she performed part of the service. So there would be an enforceable contract on the limited amount of information you have provided.
  • BreAnna
    Beginner September 2019
    BreAnna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh wow!! This is so helpful, thank you so much for telling me that!
  • Kimberly
    Beginner March 2020
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You're welcome and good luck! I hope you get your pictures soon.
  • Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is really good information! Do you happen to know if this is something under federal law or does it vary from state to state?

• Kimberly
    Beginner March 2020
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It is state law, not federal. But all states have some version of this type of contract. They might call it something different, but it exists.
  • Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    Take Kimberly’s advice! I would email your photographer, let her know that if you don’t receive the rest of your photos by X date, you will take legal action against her. 20 weeks is ridiculous!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics