We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Veronica
Expert August 2020

Photographer editing?

Veronica, on September 17, 2019 at 12:15 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Saved Save
Hi ladies! So FH and I hired our wedding photographer a long time ago she did our engagement photos and we LOVE them and her and how well she’s able to capture our love story! Lately I’ve noticed she’s changed her editing style from natural vibrant colors to more orange /warm tones which we are not to big a fan of since it takes away from the natural colors I guess my question is if there’s a way to let her know that we liked her editing style when she did our engagement photos or is it offensive to ask to edit how we like it? Help we’re 7 months away and not sure what to do!

8 Comments

• H
    Super September 2019
    H ·
    • Flag
    Did she recently change her editing style to match with the season change? I don't think asking her to edit your wedding photos the way she originally edited your engagement pictures would be offensive. I'm sure she understands you hired her because of her previous work and what she showed you when you first booked her.
  • Veronica
    Expert August 2020
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No not really it’s been like that for a few months now I can tell she’s using the same presets most photographers use to get that warmth look to it but we feel like it washes away the colors and we’re having a spring wedding so we want to see the colors! I’m glad to hear it’s not offensive me and FH we’re having a discussion about it last night!
  • H
    Super September 2019
    H ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh okay, I see. Yeah, I really don't think she would have a problem. Like I said, I'm sure she would understand your reasoning. I couldn't see any photographer being upset or offended for that reason. Good luck!
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag

I don't think it's out of line at all to bring up her new style. Editing style is one of the top reasons people hire photographers. If she no longer matches the look you're going for, that's a big concern.

• Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I think you could mention this to her without offending her. Just continue to gush over how much you loved your engagement photos and ask her if she plans on doing the same thing for your wedding photos Smiley smile

• M
    Dedicated October 2019
    M ·
    • Flag
    When you go over shot list, use examples of her own work and make sure you mention how much you love the colors and editing of them.
  • Alyssa
    Dedicated January 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag

Photographer here! I think she would rather make you happy than upset you. She's hoping to get an email after the wedding pics are delivered saying "WE LOVE THEM! THANK YOU!" I would suggest an in person meeting to talk about the upcoming wedding and share your feelings in a kind and honest way. I would approach it as: "We have been watching your work since the engagement, and we noticed your style changes. We understand every artist is entitled to change it up and do what they like, but we hired you with the intention of your old style. Can you edit our photos like you did our engagement photos? We love the look, feel, vibe and colors of them and want our wedding photos to look this way." As a photographer, I want you to love your photos, so if she doesn't understand where you're coming from, you might want to talk about hiring someone new. Keep in mind non-refundable deposits and contracts (read it and see what hers says) if you have to go that direction.

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

I don't see the harm in asking if she's still willing to edit the way you'd like!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles