We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Nicola
Beginner March 2020

Photographer charging fees due to covid-19

Nicola, on August 9, 2020 at 7:17 PM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save
My original wedding date was 3/21/20. However, like majority of the other couples— we pushed our wedding date to 8/22/2020 (this was back in March). Due to the pandemic and the mandate issued by Miami’s mayor, we have to push it back again. We set the new dates for 4/10/20. The photographer wants to charge us $500 for rescheduling, and stated that if we change our date again (due to Covid-19), we will have to pay another fee. I cannot believe this is happening to me. How could someone use this time to take advantage. I need advice. I don’t even know what to do.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Tiger Bride, on August 10, 2020 at 10:39 AM
  • Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2021
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I would read your contract. Does it state that your deposit is transferable to another date? Does it state anything about a rescheduling fee? Anything about acts of god? Or if you reschedule to the next year, would you be responsible for paying that year’s fees? (Many vendors up their fees at the beginning of the year in accordance to cost of living, competitors’ rates, etc)
  • Alisa
    Devoted August 2020
    Alisa ·
    • Flag

Check your contract. what does it say about rescheduling, and acts of god? go though it with a fine toothed comb and see what your photographers policies are. if it's not in contract, then it is not right for them to charge your more money to change your date, especially if they aren't already booked for your new date.

• K
    August 2020
    Kathleen ·
    • Flag

It’s less than 2 weeks from your wedding and you mentioned the government is responsible for you needing to push back your wedding. I don’t understand how your photographer is taking advantage of you.
    Can you share details of your contract to help us understand how your photographer is taking advantage of this 2nd reschedule? Did he/she charge a fee for the first reschedule?Is there a specific clause for rescheduling and it’s details?
    I’m sorry this happening to you and everyone involved.

• Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Definitely check your contract. This is probably not covered, but it doesn't hurt to check. Unlike a venue or caterer where you're contacted for a certain number of guests, a photographer or DJ is paid for their services no matter how many other people are there, so if photography is still allowed, this is probably legal.
  • T
    Devoted May 2010
    Theresa ·
    • Flag

This may sound harsh, but of course they're charging you a rescheduling fee. The pandemic isn't just affecting you, it's affecting them as well. They are running a business, and most likely lost most or all of that business from March on for the year. They have bills to pay, they have to eat and pay rent, and they were counting on showing up for your wedding to provide the service agreed upon in your contract with them and getting paid for it.

Yes, it sucks that you want to reschedule and they want to charge a fee, but it also sucks for them that they were counting on a paycheck and you want to reschedule.

As PPs said, check your contract to see if this was covered. My guess is the first time around they were being cooperative with you and allowing the reschedule because of the pandemic. But, you can't expect them to do that over and over for you, unless it states clearly in the contract that are no fees for rescheduling.

• Leanne
    Rockstar September 2020
    Leanne ·
    • Flag
    They can’t charge you a fee if not stated in the contract. No it’s not reasonable just because they’re a business. I had already paid my photographer in full when we postponed in March, so we didn’t run into this issue. Best of luck to you!
  • W
    Dedicated October 2020
    Waitingtomarry20 ·
    • Flag
    Just like the others said to check your contract.
    With our original date of 05/02/20, we were able to move our date to 10/03/20 and had to sign a new contract. If we had to reschedule again then we would lose our deposit and pay for a new contract. Sorry to hear what you are going through.
  • Jeanette
    Expert July 2021
    Jeanette ·
    • Flag
    I hope reading your contract helps, but also did you get any kind of wedding insurance (pre covid)?
  • T
    Devoted April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

I would guess that your contract says something along the lines of your deposit is not refundable and either doesn't say anything about postponement or that a fee may apply. Contracts written prior to this year just didn't take things like this into account since the widespread forced closures and limits on gatherings weren't a thing before this (and are of questionable constitutionality, but that's a different topic...).

In your shoes, I would probably just pay the $500. That isn't a huge fee and this is your second postponement. If this is a small business, like most photographers are, they are struggling with postponed weddings as well...a whole year of business lost. I don't think this is "taking advantage of you"...they would probably have upped their prices a bit anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles