Tiffani
Just Said Yes August 2019

Outstanding Alterations Fee

Tiffani, on August 14, 2019 at 9:06 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved Save
So my alterations price was a little over 1500 dollars and I have been searching through online averages and am not seeing anything over 900 dollars. This is close to half of what mine is. I have a fitting tomorrow, but is this normal? Or am I being scammed out of my money?

19 Comments

• allisonrose
    Dedicated September 2019
    allisonrose ·
    Woah. My alterations are $300. I’m just getting a hem and bustle but it’s a complicated hem. What are you getting done? That seems outrageous to
    me.
  • Mary
    Expert July 2019
    Mary ·
    My bridal salon offers alterations in-house (not at all required to purchase from them) and my original quote was for over $1000. However, since I bought my dress when they were running a promotion, they took 50% off. It's a huge range but I didn't end up shopping around. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Note that each line item in the quote covered all changes to that part of the dress. Meaning if I severely yo-yo'ed in size, I would not need to pay any more for them to continuously take in and let out the same area. Also, my dress had a lot of lace all over, which may add some complexity to the alterations.
  • Desiree
    Dedicated October 2019
    Desiree ·
    That seems like a lot to me, but I guess it depends on where you live and what you’re having done. Mine was $280 for the hem, bustle, and cups.
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    I took my dress to a local seamstress & they quoted me $405 - $420 based on what bustle I get.
    I am getting a hem, taking in, bustle & press.
  • B
    Dedicated August 2019
    Britani ·
    That seems high. Mine did 6 point hustle, hem, added hem lace and more appliqués, redid the bust and the back, made my off the shoulder straps removable, and took it in about 1-2 full sizes and it was $500.
  • Vicki
    Dedicated September 2019
    Vicki ·
    Mine were originally $1350 but I got a second opinion for $900. You can ask for a breakout of the work they are doing to understand why the costs are what they are. My skirt has a bunch of layers with horsehair lining. The bodice needed to be taken in, straps needed to be pulled up, etc, etc. It will help you feel better about the cost and maybe you can ask them to leave things as is to bring costs down.
  • Vicki
    Savvy May 2020
    Vicki ·
    Try posting a help wanted ad on FB or Craigslist. Maybe you can find someone's Mom or Grandma who could give you a better deal.
  • Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam ·
    It depends on where you live and what your dress is. Does it have a lot of beading or lace? Asymmetrical design? Multiple layers all over? Is it fitted like a mermaid? Is your bustle more elaborate than a standard 3 point bustle? Is your fabric more precious(silk)? Is the hem complicated because of the seams?

My dress has a difficult hem because one of the layers can only be done from the inside due to seamlines. That layer alone cost me $90, that’s almost as much as hemming an entire skirt where I live. My seamstress gave me a steep discount on the rest of the layers because she felt bad.
  • Future Mrs. Danger
    Expert November 2019
    Future Mrs. Danger ·
    Seems very high. I got sleeves, a bustle, a change in the backline all for 360.
  • Adree-Anna
    Dedicated November 2020
    Adree-Anna ·
    That sounds really high, but it also depends on what you are getting done
  • Trista
    Rockstar September 2019
    Trista ·
    I had an illusion neckline removed, a zipper removed and replaced with a corset, and a bustle added for $150.
  • Jeanie
    Super February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    That does sound high, but it all depends on the style of your dress and how much work/time needs to be put into it. My friend needed her dress completely redone after her dog decided to play in the tulle two weeks before the wedding. Needless to say, after removing the lace appliqués, correcting the skirt and sewing them back on, it would have cost her less to buy a new dress. However, that is the extreme and I would suggest you ask around to other seamstresses for a better price.
  • Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara ·

I agree - it definitely seems high, but it also depends entirely on what you're having done. If it's simple alterations on a simple dress (hem, bustle, maybe straps) it's way too much. If it's a ton of lace appliques, hand beading, or delicate materials, even simple changes can be time consuming and thus pricey. If you're going in for a second fitting, they've likely done a lot of the work already, so you might be stuck with the price. But you could at least ask for a breakdown or explaination of the cost.

• edecker
    Super May 2020
    edecker ·

Alterations differs depending on the amount of work done. They can range from about $500-$1500. What are you getting done to the dress? A Hem and a bustle are usually about $500 and goes up from there.

• Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·

That sounds really high, but it also depends what you're getting done! My dress has a ton of detail (covered in lace & beading with a fully ruffled skirt), and I'm getting a bustle, hem, cups sew in, and take in at the butt & hips for only $310. I figured mine would be closer to $500, but she came in a lot lower than I was expecting.

• Heather
    Devoted October 2019
    Heather ·
    That sounds like way too much money. I paid $315 for hem (5 layers), bustle with an extra button, sleeves shortened, and chest taken in a little.
  • EmAbrams
    Devoted August 2019
    EmAbrams ·

Yikes! My alterations were $310 and I almost had a heart attack. $1500 seems awful high. I am so sorry you are dealing with this

• Meaghan
    Savvy June 2020
    Meaghan ·

It does seam very high, depending on what you're getting done and how elaborate your design is. I would get a second opinion, just to be on the safe side.

• Selena
    Super September 2019
    Selena ·
    I would get a second quote. That does seem very high.

Comment on this discussion