Kristin
Savvy October 2020

Out of state/ destination

Kristin, on September 20, 2019 at 12:42 AM Posted in Planning 0 19
Saved Save
My fiancé and I will be visiting Michigan next week ( we live in Arizona) to visit some venues. For you destination/ out of state planners, I made appointments to see 7 venues in 5 days. Too many? Too little? For our budget there are some locations an hour away from the each other so timing may not be in my favor. Thoughts?

19 Comments

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·

I planned a semi-DW where I got married about 2 hours from where I live. We toured 10 venues in 2 days. I mapped them all out and strategically scheduled them in order based on the route and the time to get to each one from one venue to the other. I think this is definitely doable. You could easily do 3 per day depending on travel time.

• Kristin
    Savvy October 2020
    Kristin ·
    View Quoted Comment
    How long were each appointments? And i only have 1 day where we are going to 3 appointments... each appointment is an hour away. For our price po
  • Kristin
    Savvy October 2020
    Kristin ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Sorry hit reply by mistake but I was going to say for our price point and guest count, I don’t have anything really around my hometown. Every place is about an hour or so away!
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    View Quoted Comment

I think each appointment was about an hour. I built a cushion in for extra time just in case and gave ourselves a one hour lunch break at a fast food place near one of the venues. It was tiring but worth it because we didn't have a lot of weekends we could do this. We chose our starting point based on who was available the earliest and got up early to go do it. I think the distance between the first venue to the last venue was about one hour but we hit venues in between.

• Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    I made appointments for 5 tours in 3 days but honestly we fell in love with the 2nd venue and canceled the others.
  • Heather
    Savvy April 2020
    Heather ·
    I would prioritize them based on which ones you're most interested in so if you visit one you absolutely love in the beginning of the trip you're not wasting time in ones you're not as excited about.
    We're planning a Florida wedding from Indiana and had a list of places to check out. Ended up picking one the first day and was able to enjoy the rest of our trip while getting contracts and everything signed for the venue we chose.
    Where in Michigan are you going? It's a beautiful place! If you're leaning toward a beach wedding My Barefoot Wedding does great work and knows great venues along Lake Michigan.
  • Chrysta
    Devoted November 2020
    Chrysta Online ·
    7 venues seems like plenty of options! Especially if you have looked at all of them online and know they are viable options. But, then again, I booked my DW venue sight unseen, based solely on pictures... so maybe I am not the best to give advice on this LOL
  • Kristin
    Savvy October 2020
    Kristin ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi Heather! I prioritized as best I could. Even though I contacted places weeks in advance some places only allowed me to come
    on certain days so I feel maybe that’s why I feel rushed and panicked. My fiancé loves the Detroit area so we’re looking around there! Ceremony will be at a church and we’d like the reception to have a view of the water!
  • Kristin
    Savvy October 2020
    Kristin ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Hahaha I always worry about going based off pictures. It’s like apartment hunting. Looks good until..... but sounds like you liked yours!
  • Keri
    Expert November 2019
    Keri ·

What area in Michigan? I too am getting married in Grand Rapids, MI. I'm originally from the East side of the state so I'm familiar with that area too.

• Bunga
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Bunga ·

I went to 10 venues in 3 days and it was definitely doable! I scheduled them an hour and a half for each venue but some venues ended up being shorter than others. Good luck!

• Jeni
    Just Said Yes July 2020
    Jeni ·

Also getting married in Michigan, and we're planning to do something similar next month. It will be tiring, but it'll be nice to get it all out of the way at once.

• Jordyn
    Dedicated November 2020
    Jordyn ·
    I am living in Ohio for school but am also getting married in Michigan! I scheduled 5 tours in 2 days plus a dress appointment because I can only go home on the weekend. It was a lot but very doable! The hardest part was coordinating it all because they were all over southern Michigan! Most of them were under an hour and we were also looking mostly in the Detroit area!
  • Cassi
    Super October 2019
    Cassi ·

I had 3 lined up when we went to TN october 2018. After touring the first one I knew that was my venue and canceled all other appts right then and there. A year later almost, 22 days from my wedding and I don't regret a thing. I still love my venue AND the owner has been so freaking amazing!

• Amanda
    Super June 2020
    Amanda ·

We are planning a domestic destination wedding also! We live in VA and are getting married in NC. I highly suggest hiring a local coordinator. I have no idea what we would do without our wedding coordinator and getting everything organized from out of town. You might want to narrow down the venues by having a must have's checklist that you and FH agree on and if a venue doesn't meet all or most of those items take it off the list quickly. My FH hated this process and having checklist's with both our want's would have made it easier.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    For our DW, we toured 12 venues in 4 days. We too mapped a daily driving trip to visit ones close together. Very efficient! Note: I think we only set 5-6 appointments with wedding managers. The others we walked around (wineries or hotels so open to the public), to get a sense of the venue.
  • Kristin
    Savvy October 2020
    Kristin ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes it will! I’m going all over from Port Huron to Fenton to West Bloomfield to Detroit... trying my best to coordinate them all to be close together but it’s been a challenge!
  • Jeni
    Just Said Yes July 2020
    Jeni ·
    View Quoted Comment

Oh wow, you're going to be a pro at this!

We're sticking to the metro Detroit area and downtown Detroit. Wishing you lots of luck and good venue vibes!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

I think that's perfect. I think two per day is a good amount so you could do more if needed.

Comment on this discussion