Cathleendanielle
Expert April 2018

Order of the bridesmaids?

Cathleendanielle, on December 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 41
Saved

Anyone else struggling with the order of their bridesmaids? I don't want anyone to feel less important than anyone else. I don't want to hurt anyone else's feelings either. How did you decide? I have five ladies. My matron of honor is first, obviously and then my childhood best friend behind her. I don't want anyone offended in where they are placed or it to be a popularity thing. What did you do?

41 Comments

Latest activity by Judith, on September 20, 2018 at 2:27 AM
  • Katy
    VIP June 2018
    Katy ·
    • Flag

I'm doing: MOH, Friend of 16 years, sister in law, other sister in law, Friend of 7 years, Friend of 4 years, Friend of 2 years, Friend of 2 years.

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

I got lucky, the order of my bridesmaids also matches height and how long I've known them. My sister is my MOH she'll be next to me obviously. Then my two cousins who have been my best friends since birth, then my best friend from college who was my freshman year roommate, and my best friend who I've known for about 3 years now. They are all equally important but unfortunately someone stands at the end.

• B11
    Super May 2019
    B11 ·
    • Flag

I've been a BM in a few weddings and we've been lined up by height.

• Maria
    Master June 2018
    Maria ·
    • Flag

Does of MOH usually go first? I've seen both first and last but I'd rather do what's standard.

• Cathleendanielle
    Expert April 2018
    Cathleendanielle ·
    • Flag

Not necessarily in the procession. I mean like next to me.

• Deena
    Devoted November 2017
    Deena ·
    • Flag

I had 4 Bridesmaids and they wore 2 different shades of purple for dresses. I alternated colors, starting with the color MOH picked. One BM couldn't attend the rehearsal so she was in the middle so could follow the others as to where to walk and stand. I don't think anyone really thought anything of it but I had to same concern at first. I've been in a few weddings where we just did it by height.

• fw2L210
    Dedicated February 2018
    fw2L210 ·
    • Flag

I'm doing ABC order by last name (with the exception of my matron and man of honor). We're doing it so that our honor attendants walk out last down the aisle, but are standing closest to us. The first people down the aisle will be the people farthest away from us (and whose last names are later in the alphabet).

I've seen people do it by height order too. Ours don't have a big difference in height, though, but that can work and shouldn't hurt people's feelings.

• Kristen328
    Super September 2018
    Kristen328 ·
    • Flag

The last wedding I was in, we were lined up by height.

• C
    Dedicated January 2017
    Candice ·
    • Flag

I went with who i have known the longest to the most recent

• fallinthegarden
    Master October 2017
    fallinthegarden ·
    • Flag

We just did MOH/BM, and then by height.

• Ashley
    Dedicated March 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

To avoid people feeling less important or judging their placement, you can just have the MOH first and then order everyone else by height.

• FutureMrsGSon
    Dedicated September 2018
    FutureMrsGSon ·
    • Flag

I’m doing mine by how long I’ve known each person. So, MOH, then cousin of 16 years, cousin of 13 years, childhood best friend, friend for ten years, friend of 6 years, friend of 6 years, friend of 5 years and friend of 4 years. I’ve also seen people lined up by height.. I was in a wedding and the bride chose to do it that way. It was a little awkward because I’ve known her the least amount of time but was ahead of all of her childhood friends. That’s why i chose not to go with that.

• BabsandBear
    Expert October 2018
    BabsandBear ·
    • Flag

I have four bridesmaids and they will be wearing alternating colors.

MOH (older sister) - Gold

Friend 1 - Burgundy

Little Sister - Gold

Friend 2 - Burgundy

• Anshea M.
    Dedicated October 2017
    Anshea M. ·
    • Flag

Tallest to shortest. My MOH was the tallest person anyway so it just made sense. I never thought about putting them in an order according to my relationship with them.

• Cathleendanielle
    Expert April 2018
    Cathleendanielle ·
    • Flag

My MOH is also the tallest so that makes sense.

• Melody
    Devoted March 2018
    Melody ·
    • Flag

For those going by height, would that mean the shortest is standing the furthest away?

• Constance
    VIP October 2017
    Constance ·
    • Flag

I really didn't bother with order. And it ended up being backwards the day of anyhow. I really don't think order signifies ranking.

• CarrieLynn
    Expert December 2017
    CarrieLynn ·
    • Flag

My MOH is my sister, and her first initial is K. I have three BMs (my cousin, his sister, my best friend) and their first initials are A, L, M. They will stand in the order of KALM, which makes me smile every time I think about it.

• Danielle
    VIP December 2017
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

@CarrieLynn--aww, that's cute!

Other than my MoH, who is of course first, I'm ordering my bridesmaids by height.

• Olivia_7
    Dedicated October 2018
    Olivia_7 ·
    • Flag

I always planned on lining up mine in height order. I never put much significance on what order the BMs stand in, I never took it to mean order of importance. However, that changed when I was in a wedding and I overheard the bride saying "oh they're lined up in order of how close/important they are to me" and I have to say it really kinda stung. I couldn't shake that comment off all night, I don't consider myself to be a sensitive person but idk something about that really struck a nerve with me I guess. But, like I said, I had never thought anything of the order of BMs until then.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics