We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Serena
Devoted October 2020

Opinions Please. Straps or Strapless?

Serena, on February 17, 2020 at 12:57 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 23
Saved Save
Hello Brides,

A little background first, I bought a strapless dress and I love it, however when it came in for pickup in "my size", it was clear that I was going to have issues in my bust. They even ordered me a size up to help accommodate that area. During my alterations appt, my seamstress said the dress was built for a B cup, where as my girls are DD. Unfortunately she couldn't give me many options to help support them besides taking in the front and sides, adding cups, and adding detachable straps, which I didn't want at first.. Although I think we have it tight enough now where I can get away with going strapless, as I started doing physical activity like moving around, bending over, picking up my toddler, etc, my dress sags again and makes my midsection look frumpy, not to mention it gets a little revealing. So I caved and agreed to the detachable straps. Shockinlgy, they look beautiful, but I feel like strapless for my beach wedding gives me a sexier look. So I was thinking strapless for the ceremony and pics, then adding the straps for the reception? So here's my dilemma... I'm getting back reactions from my friends and family who actually PREFERS the straps for the whole day. So now I'm just confused.. What do you all think? I attached pics of with and without. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics before we added the straps, so the pic I'm posting is an edit of my strapped being blurred out. Hopefully you get the visual!Thank you all! **Sorry for long post**Btw, my dress is bustled in these pics..Opinions Please. Straps or Strapless? 1
Strapless...Or with straps? Can see back in rear mirrorOpinions Please. Straps or Strapless? 2

23 Comments

• Chrysta
    VIP November 2021
    Chrysta Online ·
    • Flag
    I think the straps look beautiful! And you definitely wont want to be pulling up your dress all night
  • Chantal
    Expert August 2020
    Chantal ·
    • Flag

Honestly, I love the strapless look! I think your plan to switch is fabulous.

• Neeva
    Super September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag

It's beautiful either way but I am on team straps. I think that if there is a chance of you having to readjust yourself during your wedding ceremony, it may make sense to just do the straps the whole time. The last thing you want is for your dress to ride down while you walk down the aisle or are standing at the altar!

Plus, having to bustle and attach straps before your reception is added stress Smiley smile

• Shelly
    Devoted January 2021
    Shelly ·
    • Flag
    I like the straps personally but it looks great either way. If you like the strapless I think switching after ceremony is a great idea.
  • Nefetera
    Super March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    I like the strapa it looks ai beautiful
  • Alyssa
    Expert December 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag

I love straps, I think strapless as a trend is fading.

• Lauren
    Rockstar February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

I prefer strapless, but I think it's a great idea to add the straps for the reception so you don't have to worry about pulling up your dress all night!

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    I prefer straps but for your gown I think strapless looks better
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    Strapless is beautiful but you definitely don’t want to be pulling up your dress all night and the straps will look beautiful too!
  • Future Mrs. K
    Super April 2021
    Future Mrs. K ·
    • Flag
    I like the strapless better but it depends how secure you feel in it! Maybe go with the straps if you think you’ll have to keep pulling it up
  • Kristina
    Dedicated March 2021
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

I love the strapless look!

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Strapless! The straps are too thick, in my opinion.

• Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    The straps will be added using hook and eyes. Should be fairly quick to attach. We also have a 40 minute car ride to our reception location. Without a doubt they'll be used for dancing lol. I think I'd be okay to walk down the aisle, but for pictures I will def be pulling up in between shots unless the double sided fashion tape helps. FH says if there's any chance at all of my boob peeking out in front of his grandmom, he wants the straps hahaha. I'm mainly curious as to what everyone thinks visually looks better. I can attach more pics as well if anyone want to see other angles! But so far, thank you ladies. I'm putting everyones opinions in consideration!
  • Nicole
    Super August 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    I think it looks beautiful without straps, but if you do decide on straps maybe something not so thick? I would only wear those types of straps if it were off the shoulder
  • Samantha
    Rockstar October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Though I don't think you can go wrong, but I do prefer the strapless look.

• Samantha
    Rockstar October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Also, you look beautiful!

• Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awh thank you!
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I had 2 options. The first I tried was a thin spaghetti strap with a little beading, but it looked so awkward. Then she showed me these. I was turned off right away with how thick they are, but once I tried them, I thought the material matched perfectly with the dress. She considered them as cap sleeves. Normally I wouldn't be a fan, but it was the best we could do.. At that time, I was banking on them being just for the reception. Lol I'm still so undecided! With and without are such different looks. I feel sexy and sleek without, but then everyone close to me thinks the straps are classy and elegant. I lean towards the sexy side because I had a daughter almost 2 years ago and I'm proud of my body, but then I hear I'm a mom, I should cover up and look more conservative. So hard to choose
  • Monica
    Dedicated April 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Do not choose the straps just because people say you are a mom and should dress conservative. This is your wedding day and if sexy is the how you want to feel that day then only wear the straps when you feel it is necessary. You should be very proud of your body, you look amazing. I've never had kids and don't look that good so you should definitely be proud! lol The straps do look beautiful but don't let anyone dictate how you feel that day. Your dress is still elegant strapless. I say go strapless until it bothers you then add your straps.

My cousin had the reverse problem. she didn't like her arms so she had detachable off the shoulder straps made. I thought it looked nicer on her strapless plus thought they might bother her dancing but she didn't feel comfortable. She wore them for the ceremony. A quarter of the way through the reception she got tired of them and took them off. I had to stop myself from going I told you so. She stopped being self conscience and just enjoyed herself.

• Samantha
    Rockstar October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    Your dress is beautiful! I’m sure it’ll be stunning either way, but I love it without straps.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles