marjifarah
Dedicated September 2020

Opinions about vows

marjifarah, on February 8, 2020 at 5:02 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 6
Saved

To write a vow or to not write a vow....So I get extremely nervous to speak in front of bunch of people, even families. So I thought maybe my fh and I could write vows and read them to each other before the ceremony (We want to do a first look before the ceremony and walk down the aisle together) So I thought that would be a good time to read them together and make it more personal. What does everyone think of this idea?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Leslie, on February 8, 2020 at 9:58 PM
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Our self written vows were by far the best part of our ceremony and probably the best part of the day overall tbh. I highly recommend writing your own. If reading them in private is what you really want to do then go for it, but I personally wouldn’t. Honestly it seems like depriving your guests of sharing in the moment with you. If you didn’t want your guests there to witness your vows then why did you bother inviting them to your wedding, you know? That’s how I see it at least.

What we did was write each other letters to read before the ceremony which were more private, and then my letter basically “continued” in my vows which I read at the ceremony. Maybe you could do something like that, where you read each other the more personal part during your first look but save something for the ceremony.

I’m just advising you of this because honestly sharing in that moment with our guests was just so amazing for us AND for them. So many people told me how beautiful our vows were and that they were crying. My cousin said he had literally never seen his dad (my uncle) cry in his entire life, until our ceremony lol. It was just really nice to share that with them and just would’ve been very sad to deprive them of it. We invited them because we wanted them to witness our ceremony, so they should get to see all of it, you know?
    As for the public speaking, I’m awful at it too and I get so nervous lol, but really during our vows the rest of the room just became such a blur, all I could see was my husband!
  • Amy
    Devoted October 2019
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    That’s a beautiful idea! Hubby and I didnt do a first look, but we wanted to read each other our own vows in our own home a few weeks before the wedding, but we had just gotten so busy we never actually did it. Go for it!
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I loved reading ours at the ceremony but I also like your idea. It's private and personal
  • Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    We’re doing personal vows and I can’t wait for the ceremony! That said, vows are intensely personal and it only matters that you share them with your future spouse. If you want to do that in a letter or privately in person, then I think that’s lovely.
  • Watts
    Super March 2020
    Watts ·
    • Flag
    It's a great idea. I have stage fright and we're both emotional people who cry easily. So FH and I decided to write letters to each other and have someone switch them for us so we can read them privately right before the ceremony. We don't want to see each other before the ceremony. Then we customized our "I do" vows
  • L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

I want Gen to share her vows as mine seems like they’re 2 sentences. But they say that someone in bridal party who know you both should read them so you’re both on same page.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics